Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

tri bike

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

tri bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 08:01 PM
fd3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tri bike

i just did my first sprint tri and im hooked however i borrowed a bike i need to purchase my own but i am clueless about sizing and beginner model im 5'9 195. any suggestions? thanks
Old 07-01-09, 07:25 AM
bmcginn

Bikes: late 2009 leader 721tr, 1992 trek oclv with da, 2010 specialized tarmac expert, QR Lucero Lite, NS Suburban 24''

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It might be more worhtwhile to purchase a road bike over a tri specific as they are more versatile. But do you have a price range? Or frame material preference....carbon or aluminum or ti? Give soem parameters
Old 07-01-09, 07:42 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 2,208 Times in 1,486 Posts
Do you have a road bike now? If so, get some aero bars and train/race with them first. If not, purchase of a tri only bike isn't a wise investment, at least until you really get involved in riding.

Also fit is very important. I suggest going to a bike store and have them size you. Then take a few out for test rides.
Old 07-01-09, 08:07 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
It is all about the Benjamins....How much do you want to spend. Go to local shop get an idea of fit then decide What $$ you have to spend....It can get ugly really quick, also as a newbie do not get to wild as I am sure your fit & comfort will change over time...
Good Luck and welcome to the club
Old 07-01-09, 12:12 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez! You guys are no fun. The OP wants to buy a tri bike!!! Let's help him instead of talk him out of it.

I believe there are some killer deals right now on Cervelo P2-SL's. My guess is you would need a 51cm but it's best to get fit properly to be sure. This is a good bike as you probably will not want feel the need to upgrade it three months from now when you start to see other bikes. If you go with a beginner model, you're likely to sink $$$ into it and then swap it out completely for another model...I've seen this many times.

My recommendation is to buy as much bike as you can comfortably afford. One that you will be so excited to ride that you can't stand to be sitting in a chair

Let us know what you get!!!
Old 07-01-09, 02:23 PM
fd3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heres the deal i mostly a runner with a some marathons under my belt . so i can see myself doing this for a while. i guess $1000 maybe on a bike . like i said earlier i am clueless about bike names prices good bad etc. i used my bros trek bike for this tri to me the bike felt heavy . keep the replies coming thanks again
Old 07-01-09, 06:38 PM
HarlieJ
thud

Bikes: Trek 2001 8000 MTB, Trek Equinox 7 Tri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're willing to wait, LBS usually clear out their stock at the end of the year. I'm 5'9", 180# and my LBS fitted me on 54cm Trek (I coudn't wait till the end of the year - one of my instant gratification requirements).
Other options would be to watch ebay or buy online. I could have saved some cash and bought online but I didn't want to take the risk of buying a wrong sized bike.
When I bought my bike at my LBS, they made sure that they had the correct size. Then they took the time to adjust the seat, aero bars, etc to what I felt was right for me. They also said that I could bring the bike in over the next 12 months - for free - for any tweeking. Buying at a LBS also establishes a positive relationship between you and them. Good luck.
Old 07-01-09, 06:56 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
$1K is th emagic price poin tyou can do very well...do home work search web for deals but first go to your shop for fit ideas.....left overs are great deals....Enjoy...

used is also a great option can get a beast for $1k used
Old 07-01-09, 09:43 PM
Blossom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 1K you are probably going to looking at a used bike or an entry level new bike. Keep an eye on slowtwitch and ebay. Not knowing the fit is going to be a pain, though. Nothing is worse than a bike that doesn't fit.

Unless you feel confident going through the on-line fit calculators, I'd recommend going to a decent local bike shop and checking out their entry level line of road bikes and get yourself fit. Slap on a pair of clip-on aero bars and you are good to go.

I love my TT bike, but I can't imagine doing all my riding on it. Both the new and used road bike markets will be much larger and you'll have more opportunity to find a good deal.

But if you insist on a TT bike and you are comfortable guessing on your fit... bikes direct has some in your price range. Kestrel Talon
Old 07-01-09, 11:38 PM
cjbruin
Body by Guinness

Bikes: Specialized Allez Pro; Cervelo P2 SL; Tsunami (Converted to Fixed Gear)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blossom
...I love my TT bike, but I can't imagine doing all my riding on it...
I used to think that but I ride my Tri/TT bike about 99% of the time these days. I rode with my wife the other day and when I was taking down my roadie, even she commented that she couldn't believe I was going to ride it
Old 07-04-09, 06:44 PM
Rahzel

Bikes: Trek 1500 road bike, Giant Trinity Alliance tri bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, you can't really buy a new triathlon bike for one large. Most new tri bikes start at around $1500, and in that range, you're looking at aluminum frames, Sora 9spd, entry-level wheels and other questionable components.

I'd recommend searching the used market. If you can, figure out generally what type of tri bike you need (tri bikes are not all the same sizing) and look for those sorts of bikes. My sticky post has some additional information that may be helpful, also,