Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Repairing the World...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Repairing the World...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 10:48 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Repairing the World...

Sometimes while riding my bicycle I will stop to help a fellow cyclist. A serious, long-time commuter, I carry tools, a patch kit, a spare inner tube and a pump. Over the last 25 years I have stopped to help fix flats, true crooked wheels that are rubbing against rim brakes. Earlier this year I saw a mother watching her young daughter ride a bike with training wheels and a handlebar that was loose and crooked, I fixed it. Turned out to be the girl's first bike, bought just that day.

And not just fixing bikes. Last month I stopped to help a older Asian couple I have seen over the years move some furniture from their car to their house. Sometimes I will call the authorities if I see people passed out in a remote area, especially when winter's cold can be deadly. One time I saw two men forcing an unwilling woman into a car. I rode on until I was out of sight of them and then called the police.

So when I see people walking their bikes, I will often stop to let them know I have tools, and can I help in any way.

But I have to be careful, as my commute route takes me through a rough-ish part of town, and I don't want to be lured into a bad situation.

However, on this evening's ride home I passed a 30-something looking guy walking his older mountain bike in the opposite direction with a flat. He wore jeans and a t-shirt with a plastic grocery bag with some clothes tied to the seatpost. I assessed the situation. He seemed to walk with a calm determination, not agitated, with a very steady step. I circled around and asked if I could help.

"I usually carry tools," he said with a thick Jamaican accent, "but the one day I left my backpack at home I get a flat."
So he popped off his front wheel and I immediately saw the goat head thorn sticking out. He removed the worn mountain bike tire and asked for the pump. He pumped it up and inspected it, while I felt around the inside of his tire for foreign objects and any protrusions. He couldn't find the puncture. I told him I have a trick (a trick I learned on bikeforums) I wet my lips and rotated the tire in front of them. I felt the small, cool sensation of air escaping from the innertube. It was a miniscule hole like you get from goathead thorns.

I sandpapered the surface and spread on the rubber cement. While we waited for it to dry he said his name was Willie and he was in Colorado Springs working at a hotel. He had a wife and four young kids and sent some money home to his folks in Jamaica.

I patched the innertube and Willie installed it and mounted his tire and then began pumping.

When everything was done he extended his hand and thanked me.

And then he asked, "Why did you stop and help me?"

So I told him. "Three years ago my step-daughter developed a painful and debilitating disease that I can't fix. So far nobody has been able to fix her. And while I have always tried to be helpful, to people, it is even more imperative since then that I fix what I can, it makes me feel like I have control, at least over some things in life."

As I was thinking about it tonight I remembered the jewish concept of "tikkun olam" or "repairing the world". I always assumed people did that to please G-d. I'm not religious. I'm more of a "be good for goodness' sake" kinda guy. But it occurred to me that perhaps by helping others, we can help ourselves. That's a dimension of Tikkun Olam I hadn't considered before. I suppose in this way it's related in a way to the christian concept of "leading by serving".

So, what is my point, and how does it relate to bicycles and cycling?

The mental and emotional and social rewards are as much a part of cycling as are the physical rewards and aspects.

And more and more I see the bicycle itself as a tool with which one can help repair their world, even while repairing a bicycle.

Last edited by BobbyG; 09-13-17 at 11:08 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 11:17 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Good for you, Bobby. I always have a tool kit, patches and pump and whenever I encounter a fellow cyclist on the side of the trail I always ask if they're ok.
Jon
Old 09-14-17, 02:43 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good on you Bobby, I wish more cyclist think the same way. Peace be with you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 09-14-17, 02:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thanks, Bobby. You've helped make the world a better place.
Old 09-14-17, 05:35 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Old 09-14-17, 05:48 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Keep that Karmic wheel spinnin' good. Awesome.
Old 09-14-17, 06:08 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great story, well told. The world could use more people like you.

If you don't mind, I'll pray for you and your daughter.
Old 09-14-17, 06:19 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
As I was thinking about it tonight I remembered the jewish concept of "tikkun olam" or "repairing the world". I always assumed people did that to please G-d. I'm not religious. I'm more of a "be good for goodness' sake" kinda guy. But it occurred to me that perhaps by helping others, we can help ourselves. That's a dimension of Tikkun Olam I hadn't considered before. I suppose in this way it's related in a way to the christian concept of "leading by serving".
Great story. Love your thoughts here. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-14-17, 08:27 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
One does not need a bicycle to do God's work.
Old 09-14-17, 08:46 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
....... As I was thinking about it tonight I remembered the jewish concept of "tikkun olam" or "repairing the world". I always assumed people did that to please G-d.
The word "g-d" as (I think) you referred to it is/was actually Yahweh. The word/term G-d originally referred to the whole of the universe. Which of course includes yourself and all others... including Yahweh.

Good service.
Old 09-14-17, 09:00 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Thanks for the inspiring and heartwarming story, Bobby. That's an attitude that would make the world a better place if more people shared it (and I'm not necessarily referring to fellow cyclists). I too have stopped occasionally to render assistance to other cyclists and non-cyclists alike. And I will admit that it makes me feel better afterwards. Sometimes it makes me wonder if there is a greater power that put me in that location at that time. Although he eventually became a disgraced cyclist, I have always believed that...at least for me...the title of Lance Armstrong's first book is a good mantra: It's Not About the Bike. And I would say that incidents like this make cycling about more than just the bike.

Dan
Old 09-14-17, 09:29 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
While I'm not religious, I do follow humanism as a life philosophy. Basically it's treat everyone as you want to be treated and helping each other out to solve problems makes the world a better place. I haven't come across too many cyclists in need of a roadside repair, but if I can render assistance I will. Mainly because if I were in that situation and desperately needed help, I'd want someone to stop and help me. I think that helping others is far more rewarding than the "screw you" attitude we see too much of these days.
Old 09-14-17, 09:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Beautiful story. You could also frame it in a Franciscan way: acting as an instrument of peace.
Old 09-14-17, 10:50 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
What! A MAN accepting help?
I'm about to say "pics, or it didn't happen".

While I don't have your extra burden, I do ride rather well equipped.
But I have just about given up offering to help males.
They're simply not accepting.
Last time I tried, the guy calmly stated he was fine walking the bike the rest of the way.
5 miles, in cycling shoes with road cleats...
Your roadside manners must be better than mine.
Women, sure. No excess pride getting in the way there.
Flats, derailed chains, wheels pulled askew.
Even rotated a fork once.
Husband had been adamant that the brakes should be on the rear side both front and rear.

My reason?
Nothing big.
Do unto others as.... would suffice.
If saving someone's day is as easy as handing over a spare tube and lending them a pump, it ought to be illegal not to.
Old 09-14-17, 11:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Many years ago I patched a guy's flat (he didn't have a spare tube or QR wheels) in Valley Forge National Park. He hit on me, basically asking me if I wanted a B.J. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into. I just thought it was rude to respond that way to someone who was helping you.
Old 09-14-17, 11:11 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by dabac
But I have just about given up offering to help males.
They're simply not accepting.
Last time I tried, the guy calmly stated he was fine walking the bike the rest of the way.
5 miles, in cycling shoes with road cleats...
Well, the way I see it is if they say they don't want or need help, no harm in asking and then going on your way. But I'd rather make sure than to ride by and leave someone who might be in need of help without even asking.

On my century ride a couple weeks ago, I came across a group of riders I knew, one of them was busy patching a tire. I offered my assistance even though I figured they had things under control, being more experienced riders than me. They said they were fine so I didn't insist, just stuck around and chatted for a while before pressing on. But yeah, it would have been a different story had one of them been pushing their bike.

And I will usually turn down offers of help because I have a spare tube and patch kit and am capable of fixing a flat on my own, but if they want to hang around and help or even offer moral support I won't turn them away.
Old 09-14-17, 11:14 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've been on the receiving end of good deeds numerous times in my life. If I'm in a position to do the same for others, I'm merely passing on a gift previously received. If we wish to make the world a better place we begin by being a better person.
Old 09-14-17, 11:20 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Many years ago I patched a guy's flat (he didn't have a spare tube or QR wheels) in Valley Forge National Park. He hit on me, basically asking me if I wanted a B.J. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're into. I just thought it was rude to respond that way to someone who was helping you.
Just say 'No thanks' and move on. At least he wanted to thank you for your kindness.
Old 09-14-17, 12:20 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Korina
Just say 'No thanks' and move on. At least he wanted to thank you for your kindness.
I was literally in the middle of the work and I felt somewhat responsible to finish, having pulled the guy's inner tube partially out of his tire. Once I was done I let him know that he should be more polite in the face of kindness.

Now don't get me started on the guy who was sort of stalking me while I was taking a lunch break at a c-store one day during one of my cross-PA tours. He was really creepy and asked me if I wanted a ride somewhere in his RV.
Old 09-14-17, 12:47 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
On the first day of a Calgary - Vancouver tour I saw a car on the side of the road across the median of the hwy. It was an isolated stretch near Kananaskis and as I passed I saw two elderly ladies by the trunk so I swung across and asked them if they needed help. They had a flat and were trying their best but said yes and I set about changing the tire. When done they thanked me profusely and offered some cash but I refused though I relented at the offer of a bunch of grapes and we all went our separate ways...

Best grapes I ever tasted
Old 09-14-17, 12:50 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

I'll help if I can be of help. The couple minutes it takes to help is inconsequential, and the benefits of you stopping can be tremendous to those in need.

Now don't get me started on the guy who was sort of stalking me while I was taking a lunch break at a c-store one day during one of my cross-PA tours. He was really creepy and asked me if I wanted a ride somewhere in his RV.
Did he at least have candy?
Old 09-14-17, 01:00 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Did he at least have candy?

Probably in the RV. He was eying me inside the store. (I look good in spandex. What am I going to do.) After I used the bathroom and grabbed a sandwich I went behind the store to get out of the sun and away from the noise. (There was big Interstate Highway interchange there.) He drove around back. He must have seen me, stopped and got out of his RV. I was on the phone talking to my GF when he walked right up an interrupted me. I finally gave him a clear message by telling him who I was talking to and stating that I didn't want to be interrupted. He made a nasty face, walked back to his RV and drove off.
Old 09-14-17, 04:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Why do I get the feeling that "squeal like a pig" would have been part of that afternoon's festivities?
Old 09-14-17, 04:42 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes while riding my bicycle I will stop to help a fellow cyclist. A serious, long-time commuter, I carry tools, a patch kit, a spare inner tube and a pump. Over the last 25 years I have stopped to help fix flats, true crooked wheels that are rubbing against rim brakes. Earlier this year I saw a mother watching her young daughter ride a bike with training wheels and a handlebar that was loose and crooked, I fixed it. Turned out to be the girl's first bike, bought just that day.

And not just fixing bikes. Last month I stopped to help a older Asian couple I have seen over the years move some furniture from their car to their house. Sometimes I will call the authorities if I see people passed out in a remote area, especially when winter's cold can be deadly. One time I saw two men forcing an unwilling woman into a car. I rode on until I was out of sight of them and then called the police.

So when I see people walking their bikes, I will often stop to let them know I have tools, and can I help in any way.

But I have to be careful, as my commute route takes me through a rough-ish part of town, and I don't want to be lured into a bad situation.

However, on this evening's ride home I passed a 30-something looking guy walking his older mountain bike in the opposite direction with a flat. He wore jeans and a t-shirt with a plastic grocery bag with some clothes tied to the seatpost. I assessed the situation. He seemed to walk with a calm determination, not agitated, with a very steady step. I circled around and asked if I could help.

"I usually carry tools," he said with a thick Jamaican accent, "but the one day I left my backpack at home I get a flat."
So he popped off his front wheel and I immediately saw the goat head thorn sticking out. He removed the worn mountain bike tire and asked for the pump. He pumped it up and inspected it, while I felt around the inside of his tire for foreign objects and any protrusions. He couldn't find the puncture. I told him I have a trick (a trick I learned on bikeforums) I wet my lips and rotated the tire in front of them. I felt the small, cool sensation of air escaping from the innertube. It was a miniscule hole like you get from goathead thorns.

I sandpapered the surface and spread on the rubber cement. While we waited for it to dry he said his name was Willie and he was in Colorado Springs working at a hotel. He had a wife and four young kids and sent some money home to his folks in Jamaica.

I patched the innertube and Willie installed it and mounted his tire and then began pumping.

When everything was done he extended his hand and thanked me.

And then he asked, "Why did you stop and help me?"

So I told him. "Three years ago my step-daughter developed a painful and debilitating disease that I can't fix. So far nobody has been able to fix her. And while I have always tried to be helpful, to people, it is even more imperative since then that I fix what I can, it makes me feel like I have control, at least over some things in life."

So, what is my point, and how does it relate to bicycles and cycling?

The mental and emotional and social rewards are as much a part of cycling as are the physical rewards and aspects.

And more and more I see the bicycle itself as a tool with which one can help repair their world, even while repairing a bicycle.
A mitzvah by a real mench
Old 09-14-17, 04:43 PM
tnburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice post OP. I have a lot of stuff in my life that I need to and try to fix. And I use mechanisms like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.