Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help identify cassette ...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 06:40 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So here are some pictures of the rear cassette on my wife's bike. It's a Shimano 21 speed set-up. I can't tell if it's freehub or freewheel? What tool do I need to loosen it?

Old 12-02-18, 06:46 PM
darkhorse75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
It's a freehub. You need a lockring tool and a chainwhip to loosen it.
Old 12-02-18, 07:08 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cool. But the spline is bigger than my existing Park free hub spline tool. Any Idea which one fits?
Old 12-02-18, 11:15 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Cool. But the spline is bigger than my existing Park free hub spline tool. Any Idea which one fits?
Actually I think those Tracers are freewheels. You dont have to remove the lockring to remove the freewheel. Not sure what freewheel, tool you need but guessing FR1. Take the wheel off the bike and post a pic looking down on the freewheel so we can see whether there is a set of spines inside the freewheel and seperate from the lockring.
Old 12-02-18, 11:27 PM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Will do ...
Old 12-21-18, 12:31 PM
BrocLuno

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, since it was a wobbler and not high quality, I decided to by-pass the whole issue. I have a Shimano 7-speed wheel hub with free-hub now (eBay) and rim coming. I'll get them laced up and convert to free hub and cassette.

I was my mom's bike (she's passed) and now my wife's. Can't really let it go as it would be a "family incident", so onto the upgrade path we go ... We'll see how far we get

Last edited by BrocLuno; 12-21-18 at 01:28 PM.