Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need Help identifying Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 09:04 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

The charity I volunteer with inherited this road bike. It came packed in a bike box. I put it together and will upgrade it some, but I'm trying to get a handle on what brand the frame is. It was repainted by the a previous owner. It appears to be a good paint job, not rattle can, probably powder coat. There are no serial numbers to be found in any of the logical locations like the bottom bracket shell, seat tube or stays. It's fully lugged with a braze-on front derailleur bracket. The bottom bracket shell does not have the typical plastic cable guides. Instead the guides are molded into the shell. The seatpost is a 27.5. The spread between the stays takes a 130mm axle wheel, but that could have been cold set so I don't put much stock in that. The drop outs appear to me to be at least medium quality, My own experience with vintage rides tells me this is probably not a bottom of the line frame and the seatpost indicates it's most likely a double butted chromoly frame, but those are assumptions on my part. Any help is appreciated.
Here are the pics.

Old 10-03-21, 09:05 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

More Pics

Old 10-03-21, 09:16 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Braze on hanger? Nothing particularly too vintage.

Lugs? They look Centurion-ish Though a half-dozen other brands used almost identical lugs on the head tube.

My vote is something 1990-ish, perhaps Ishiwata steel on account of a random unsubstantiated hunch/guess.

My kids JIS/BSA Peugeot looks similar. How goes the seat post diameter? Headset size? 1 inch I presume. Generic Profile Design fork doesn't necessarily say much.

The bottom bracket guides will be the tell.

Last edited by base2; 10-03-21 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 09:27 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

The head set, based on outer dimensions, appears to be a 1" with a steerer that has an adaptor to take a 1 1/8 stem. The seatpost is standard 27.2.
There's some kind of logo on the bottom bracket shell, but the paint has filled it in so I can't read it.
Old 10-03-21, 11:03 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
The rear dropouts and stay attachment treatment looks exactly like a Miele in Toronto, Ontario. The fork is a replacement. They went bust about 1995.
Old 10-04-21, 06:37 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
The rear dropouts and stay attachment treatment looks exactly like a Miele in Toronto, Ontario. The fork is a replacement. They went bust about 1995.
Thanks. Does the bottom bracket shell look like one they would use?
Old 10-04-21, 06:47 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by roccobike
Thanks. Does the bottom bracket shell look like one they would use?
Miele used a lot of different BB shells including the one in your picture. What is most distinctive are the dropouts. I have never seen them on any other frame although I doubt they were exclusive to only Miele. Also the way the dropouts are attached to the stays in your picture is exactly how Miele did their attachments.

In 1995 Miele auctioned off their frame building equipment and supplies and I brought some of both back to Michigan with me. It was a fortunate trip because for years I've been able to use the materials I got there in my framebuilding classes for brazing practice. I have a 5 gallon pail full of those dropouts. That is why I am so familiar with them. I also got a bunch of lugs and shells and fork crowns. They used a lot of different kinds on their different models.
Old 10-04-21, 07:36 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Miele used a lot of different BB shells including the one in your picture. What is most distinctive are the dropouts. I have never seen them on any other frame although I doubt they were exclusive to only Miele. Also the way the dropouts are attached to the stays in your picture is exactly how Miele did their attachments.

In 1995 Miele auctioned off their frame building equipment and supplies and I brought some of both back to Michigan with me. It was a fortunate trip because for years I've been able to use the materials I got there in my framebuilding classes for brazing practice. I have a 5 gallon pail full of those dropouts. That is why I am so familiar with them. I also got a bunch of lugs and shells and fork crowns. They used a lot of different kinds on their different models.
With your comments on the dropouts and the attached pic of another Miele on ebay, I'm convinced it's a Miele. The ebay bike has chromed Campy dropouts so that's not a match to the charity's bike. However the bottom bracket shell is identical to the one on the charity's bike and it has a braze-on front derailleur mount, just like the one on the charity bike. That along with your comments about the drop outs is enough for me, it's a Miele. Not the Pro, like the one on ebay, but I'm guessing it's a good quality frame, probably double butted, chromoly steel.
This is a big help as I prepare to sell this locally. We sell the really nice bikes we get to fund the bike ministry charity so we never have to ask our church to pony up any funds. Of course all the workers are volunteers. Thanks very much for taking the time to help out.
Old 10-04-21, 07:58 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
roccobike

"The ebay bike has chromed Campy dropouts"

Those are COLUMBUS stamped dropouts.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-04-21, 09:01 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Originally Posted by verktyg
roccobike

"The ebay bike has chromed Campy dropouts"

Those are COLUMBUS stamped dropouts.

verktyg
I stand corrected, Thanks
Old 10-04-21, 11:04 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Here is a picture of an unpainted Miele (which is why it rusted) with those dropouts and stay attachment treatments. They used a lot of Tange #1 double butted tubing in their better frames including this one. These dropouts had a longer than typical back section.

Old 10-06-21, 08:44 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
I agree with Doug that the BB shell does look like the Miele product. Furthermore, as he notes, both the dropouts and stay end treatments are Miele style. Where I'm having an issue is the top tube cable stops, as I can't recall having seen a Miele with this feature. However, if we assume Miele, the presence of a front derailleur hanger, combined with an absence of embossings, suggests one of the mid-range Cromor models from the very late 1980s to early 1990s. In which case, I'd expect a 27.2mm seat post
Old 10-06-21, 11:05 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
+1

This frame has many of the characteristics of a Lupa model that I have seen, except for the brake cable stops.

Old 10-06-21, 04:10 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
^ That's some creative cable routing...