Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Terry Saddles

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Terry Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-10, 08:02 AM
underdog

Bikes: Giant Cypress LX, Giant Boulder & old Huffy 10spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terry Saddles

I'm shoping for a new saddle. I'll start by saying I know that there is no real recomendation that will work for everyone. I'm a 57yo male 6ft about 190lbs right now. I was looking on the Terry website. According to thier recomendation for my riding style, a Terry Liberator Y may fit the bill/butt They also offer it in a gel version that they claim is still firm enough to be effective. Not a complete gel seat but a thin layer over the high density foam as used in the standard model. They claim this saddle is suposed to really help with numbness in the private area which has been a problem. All sounds good in theory. I ride a Cypress LX on bike trails and would like to extend my rides. Anyone have any experiance with this saddle or opinions? They offer a 30day trial if you don't like it which sounds very tempting. Most I would lose is some shipping.
Old 05-07-10, 09:45 PM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Terry Liberator Y (non-gel version) on my commuter and it's very comfortable. I'm a Clydesdale at ~300 lbs so if it supports my weight then yours shouldn't pose a problem. Mine replaced the OEM "comfort" web-sprung saddle that came with my bike. It took a week's riding to get used to the narrower Terry saddle, but now that I'm used to it I won't ever go back to a wide one. The narrower profile not only stopped the chafing on my inner thighs, but also helped my knees by bringing them closer together - I think that I was a little "bow-legged" on the wide saddle.
Old 05-08-10, 04:57 AM
underdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. My OE is also a web sprung design. Sounds like it's worth a try.
Old 05-08-10, 11:54 PM
tromper
MUP Pup

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saddles are pretty personal, & just like what ya use 'em to protect from the seat post, everybody has an opinion on 'em.
Problem with "comfort bike" & other saddles you get with most hybrids is that they're worth about 10 miles & then your butt's done with 'em.
This seems to be generally cuz they're too soft so don't really get you on your sit bones et all, so harder sounds better in general.
If you get a 30 day trial, sounds nifty. If ya don't like it maybe try a brooks, or VO saddle, old skool stuff, basically leather stretched on a frame. I don't know what Chris at Velo Orange has for a tryout policy (or if he even has one) but Wallingford Bike wallbike.com has a pretty generous trial with the brooks saddles.
Old 05-09-10, 09:36 AM
MorganRaider

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Terry Liberator Y GEL and love it. Very comfortable without being too soft. I don't skimp on shorts, Pearl Izumi PRO, but even with Pearl Izumi Elite shorts, I am still very comfortable.
Old 05-09-10, 10:07 AM
underdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered this morning. I couldn't decide for the regular Y or gel. The regular is on BO till June so that made my mind up. I have a good friend that has been preaching to me about getting a firm saddle not a gel. But Terry says thiers is a very thin layer not too soft. So we shall see. Seems everytime I turn around, I'm getting out the charge card. And I thought this was a cheap hobby...LOL!!
Old 05-15-10, 05:00 PM
underdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to follow up. I got to try the new Terry today. Did about a 25mile ride and what a difference! When I took it out of the box I thought there is no way this thing could feel remotely good. Much narrower than the OE saddle and really hard by comparision. But, no more numbness down there and I think I could go all day on it. The "comfort" saddle on my GFs Raleigh had her squirming so we may be ordering another. Only thing that slightly bugs me is the website boasts "made in Italy" but the sticker on the bottom says Tawian. Seems to be a common white lie with bicycles and parts. In any case, I am really happy with the saddle and I'm ready to do some miles!!