Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Logistics of finding camp sites while touring - need advice

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Logistics of finding camp sites while touring - need advice

Old 09-11-17, 09:25 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
example: if "he" had lost his wallet.....
it's not "his" wallet i'd be worried about!
Old 09-11-17, 11:15 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
CB HI - If you knew the stories the cyclist has told about how cheaply he tours and how dependent he is day in and day out(really multiple times a day) on the 'kindness' of others, you may change your opinion.

The cyclist 'gives' others the opportunity to feel good for 'helping' a stranger. And since ignorance is bliss, everyone wins, I guess.
Reading some of his older post, I did find it odd that he thought that a state hiker/biker campsite was free because he defined it as off season and so he did not pay for his three day stay.

Even worse was finding out that the funds for the hotel came out of the pocket of the small town preacher vice the church. Small town preachers live on the margin. With both Ty and his gf working for Nike, I suspect they have far more disposable income than the preacher.
Old 09-11-17, 11:43 PM
saddlesores

...why didn't he pay for his own hotel ?
possible maxed out the credit card...

those Titanium Lightning X1's are suuuuuper expensive!

https://www.instagram.com/p/vTySEjPB...by=spinonthese

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...pinions-2.html

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-11-17 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 11:45 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Reading some of his older post, I did find it odd that he thought that a state hiker/biker campsite was free because he defined it as off season and so he did not pay for his three day stay.

Even worse was finding out that the funds for the hotel came out of the pocket of the small town preacher vice the church. Small town preachers live on the margin. With both Ty and his gf working for Nike, I suspect they have far more disposable income than the preacher.
A few state parks/recreational areas are free during the off-season. Usually the day after Labor Day weekend to the day before Memorial Day weekend. Some October to May. We frequent the free ones during that off-season time. Because the weather is so bad here generally during those months we often find ourselves alone. Others charge much less ($6/night instead of $20/night at one nearby) in the off-season. Another on the coast was free during the off-season until this year but they upgraded their hiker/biker sites so they now charge year round. We weren't aware of that when we went earlier this year (late last year?) but we went a few weeks ago and paid the $36 we didn't pay on our last visit since we didn't know until after we'd left. The rangers were nice about it and understanding! There's a really great book series called "Camp Free" that'll tell you which parks are free during the off-season. They're done by area. We have several of them.

You may be surprised how much pastors make. I know because I have a relative who is one in a small town in Georgia. He makes more than Ty and I do combined and we make good money. The people on staff are another story and most of them have jobs outside the church. I'm sure some small town pastors struggle but it's wrong to assume a majority of them do.

Last edited by BikeliciousBabe; 09-11-17 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-11-17, 11:48 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
possible maxed out the credit card...
ha! No, we're responsible enough to not max out credit cards. I wish we still had our Spin
Old 09-12-17, 02:36 AM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by BikeliciousBabe
... I wish we still had our Spin
yeah, a real shame about having to let that one go.
but i'm sure many happy memories.....photos, videos, etc.
whatever became of it? where is it now?
Old 09-12-17, 06:41 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
ha! No, we're responsible enough to not max out credit cards. I wish we still had our Spin
The writing style and the doubling down on the proven falsehoods around the whole Spin debacle are very familiar.
Old 09-12-17, 08:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
this reply provided absolutely zero value to the OP's inquiry. why did you even bother providing this response ?
Can you teach someone to think for themselves when their reflex is to ask the internet to do it for them?
{in a country heavily armed & with barbed wire around their property)

When they really just want an app for their phone ?

Step 1 go camping and back packing as a child, in the boy scouts in the 1950's...

then go some where to see what the humanity of strangers can offer.. in person, not over the internet...

Drop the advance worrying ... Go ... figure it out by gaining experience doing it.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-12-17 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-12-17, 11:27 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
My wild-camping strategies are different than what many have posted. I avoid towns and places where people live. My first choice is public lands like forests and such, not town-and-city parks. Alternatively, small undeveloped or unused wild patches are all over so that's where I look. I start looking for suitable locations in the late afternoon and early evening. Slip in before dark, setup in a stealthy spot, so as not to bother others, and leave (no-trace, of course) in the morning. My touring tends to be North American backcountry so this works well for me.

Last edited by BigAura; 09-12-17 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 01:10 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
^^^^ What he said. My bikepacking takes me through woods, trails and parks all over New England. Out of the way picnic area? Leave no trace, no fire. Nice bonus? VT green mt. nat. forest, Hapgood pond. $ 2.00 a night for hike and bike users. Winning. Warm water showers, pond, fire pit. Good stuff. Stayed near a pet cemetery last year. Dirt road, quiet farmers field, over a row of shrubs in some grass. Nice and quiet. At dusk, got up and walked around, sort of unsettling to see those solar sidewalk night lights near the markers, some with colors, others that said " fluffy" and " Fido" Too tired to be freaked out though.
Old 09-12-17, 01:21 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
yeah, a real shame about having to let that one go.
but i'm sure many happy memories.....photos, videos, etc.
whatever became of it? where is it now?
We sold it! We're moving out of state and sold a lot of our possessions. Our condo, our car, our other bikes etc. Saving up to buy a house in a warmer climate. I don't mind the rain but it makes Ty depressed and we have to get out of the PNW

Last edited by BikeliciousBabe; 09-13-17 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Grammarrrrrrr :/
Old 09-12-17, 01:34 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
And let's not forget that Ty's tour that year was for the purpose of raising research funds for the benefit of folks like me who have had cancer in the past or for you who may have cancer in the future. To suggest that he was trying to be an expense to others by accepting a gift is an insult. Indeed, refusing such a gift might be an insult to the giver. The pastor was obviously trying to encourage him in his effort by providing a motel.
Ty wanted me to say hello! He broke his scaphoid on August 10 and is in a cast. Gets too agitated trying to use a computer with one hand so he doesn't try anymore
Old 09-12-17, 03:01 PM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
I honestly never thought I would hear about the 'Spin painted over with Fuji logos' bike again! That's probably one of my favorite and most ridiculous events ever on bike forums.
Old 09-12-17, 03:12 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by DanBell
I honestly never thought I would hear about the 'Spin painted over with Fuji logos' bike again! That's probably one of my favorite and most ridiculous events ever on bike forums.
Yes, it's amazing that he's still pushing the fantasy

Last edited by nun; 09-12-17 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 05:19 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBell
Our bike wasn't painted over. The frame was blank and we added vinyl stickers to the frame for an event we did several years ago. It also included Trek (and Cannondale? I think) stickers. They were a pain to remove when we sold the bike
Old 09-12-17, 07:06 PM
nun

Our bike wasn't painted over. The frame was blank and we added vinyl stickers to the frame for an event we did several years ago. It also included Trek (and Cannondale? I think) stickers. They were a pain to remove when we sold the bike
What type of bike was it exactly? Could you tell us again where you bought it. Sorry, the bike clearly has a SPIN logo on it in the original picture, a copy of which you posted as your own with the logo blurred out.

Last edited by nun; 09-12-17 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 07:36 PM
BikeliciousBabe
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
What type of bike was it exactly? Could you tell us again where you bought it. Sorry, the bike clearly has a SPIN logo on it in the original picture, a copy of which you posted as your own with the logo blurred out.
I never posted a photo of the bicycle? I wasn't a member of BF until long after we sold it. The bicycle did have Spin logos on it but they were witty black while the frame was matte black. They were barely noticeable. He purchased the bicycle while he was in Germany several years ago. The receipt is still chillin around here somewhere along with the receipt from when we sold it.
Old 09-12-17, 07:43 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Deja vu!

Last edited by Doug64; 09-12-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-12-17, 07:51 PM
nun

Originally Posted by Doug64
Deja vu!
I'm afraid you are correct. When truth and reality part company it really does become a big bore. I could point out all the logical inconsistencies concerning this SPIN bike yet again, but it's better to just add another name to my ignore list....notice I said name, not person.
Old 09-13-17, 01:03 AM
saddlesores

that's............insane......sacrilege!....putting stickers
on a custom carbon $15K bike!

how much did you sell it for?
where is it now?
Old 09-13-17, 02:40 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Who would have thought the can of worms...
Old 09-13-17, 04:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Deja vu!
Deja vu all over again.
Old 09-13-17, 05:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
while the frame was matte black.
Let's review the bidding via this locked thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...oughts-10.html

1. Stock photo of his alleged Spin bike posted in #187.

2. Claimed actual photo of his alleged Spin bike posted in #200.

3. Post #238 contains a link to the exact same photo he claims was of his bike. Not only is it a different model from the one in the stock Photo in #187 (and not matte black like the stock photo), the bike belonged to, and the photo was taken by, the original owner who was someone else.

4. Upon mod learning of the deception, thread is locked.

BTW...He could use a computer well enough to start a new thread yesterday in General after your assertion regarding that subject.

"Oh, what as tangled web we weave. When first we practice to deceive."--Sir Walter Scott
Old 09-13-17, 05:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
While we're on the topic (sorry OP ... who would have predicted this deviation), has Ty-Babe actually done a tour yet?
Old 09-13-17, 07:18 AM
nun

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Let's review the bidding via this locked thread:

3. Post #238 contains a link to the exact same photo he claims was of his bike. Not only is it a different model from the one in the stock Photo in #187 (and not matte black like the stock photo), the bike belonged to, and the photo was taken by, the original owner who was someone else.
I'd just like to point out that the bike in post #238 (and #200) was built by Drew Gill of Spin Industries in the UK. The photo was by taken by Drew Gill when he was out on a training ride...his shop is just a few miles away. I have confirmed this directly with Drew Gill.....PS he makes awesome bikes and wheels.

Spin On These! Precision hand crafted bike wheels and custom titanium frames

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.