Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Lefty Oliver (real world experience?)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 05:04 PM
Shinkers

Bikes: '88 Trek 1200, '91 Trek 1400

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Anybody have any time on this fork?

How does it compare to their hybrid style (newer, non-booted) mountain lefty's? Reason I ask is that I've always been interested in the Slate but I'm a bit apprehensive about the durability and serviceability of these forks. Craig at Mendon Cyclesmith has kind of sworn off the newer lefty's and I value his opinion. But maybe it's all just talk and in reality they perform great.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-18, 10:58 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I'd have to ride one.
My issue with the Slate was never about the fork. It was a super fun bike, but I didn't like the twitchy on deep or loose gravel. Maybe I wasn't riding fast enough? Oh and I am size Medium thus 650x47 not fitting was also a deal breaker.

The All New F-S-i I am interested in. However between the Fork and Lefty hub, and Ai offset.. too many proprietary items is not appealing.

Sony, Taught me that negative lesson in fife long time ago.

I have ridden a Niner RLT with a FOX AX fork. As much as I LOVE Cannondale. I'll tell you to build a gravel bike off the Fox AX fork!!!!! if you want front suspension. hands down FOX AX
Old 09-27-18, 02:04 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I've had my Slate since May. I actually bought my Oliver used on ebay as a take-off. I ordered the 2017 Apex with the rigid lefty from my LBS for a super cheap price and then I scored on the Oliver on ebay. I don't even know how many miles the Oliver had on it when I got it but my shop looked it over and said it was pretty pristine. My daily ride is a quick 15 miles out of my house to a fire road that connects with some singletrack. The split is basically 10 miles road and 5 miles dirt/singletrack. Good amount of rock areas and I've had no issues with the fork.

The one thing I do despise with the fire of a thousand suns are sram hydro brakes. Always squeal and have taken the bike in to the shop 3 times to get adjusted. I'm saving up to go Di2 hydro with xt di2 RD on it.

I also ride a not so standard setup with an XL frame and 75mm stem. Very responsive when going on singletrack and plenty stable on the road. Use 650x47 Byways @ 32psi tubeless. Bike just feels like it's floating over the road and very plush on dirt.

Last edited by gus6464; 09-27-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-27-18, 08:45 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gus6464
The one thing I do despise with the fire of a thousand suns are sram hydro brakes. Always squeal and have taken the bike in to the shop 3 times to get adjusted.
pm me if you want to know what i did to address squeal with sram rival hydro calipers...took awhile to figure it out, but no issues now. don't want to derail this thread.