Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FSA headset replacement?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

FSA headset replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 03:23 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FSA headset replacement?

Hello,
I bought a used Masciarelli Pitbull (2013 ?) road bike frameset, and the headset bearings needed to be replaced. The headset is FSA, and the bearing part numbers are MH-P08(o41.8x6.5x45), top, and MH-P16(o52x7x45). Instead, of replacing the bearings, I would like to have an option of buying complete headset kit from other manufactures. I did some search for headset deals, but unable to know which ones would fit my frame. I'm overwhelmed and confused on different types, styles, sizes, etc.

Please, let me know what information to search for a compatible headset.

Thanks for your help
Old 12-10-18, 05:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Your confusion and lack of knowledge makes you a perfect candidate for a visit to your local bike shop. There is too much missing information to have us give you much help.

Edit: I looked up that bike on Google and it seems to be a quite high-line Italian carbon frame. The headset is an "integrated" one and you should be able to order new bearing cartridges through you bike shop.

Last edited by HillRider; 12-10-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 05:56 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
So, you bought a 2013 frameset and the headset bearings need to be replaced. You know which bearings you need in order to repair the original headset which lasted for 5 years under who knows what conditions. Are you hoping to have better longevity from some other headset? In your place I would simply replace the bearings. I have FSA headsets on several bikes that have lasted much more than 5 years. Another brand of headset may not use better bearings than your original setup
Old 12-10-18, 06:30 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For an update, I went to two LBSes. First bike shop head mechanic recommended bearings replacement. He compared 3-4 bearings in stock with the originals i brought in. He sold me a couple and said these would fit.. I tried the bearings at home and they didn't fit snugly in the head tube but had a little play or wobbly.

I then took the frame to another shop. A mechanic there didn't look at the bearings but checked the head tube and fork. He then went and got a Crane Creek headset for me. I regretted that I didn't tried it in the shop, but took it home and found out the bearing didn't sit flush to the head tube. Both bearings protruded about 2-3mm (eyeballing). To be honest, I have not had any luck with four or five shops that I have tried in the last couple of years.

Thanks so much for helping...
Old 12-12-18, 07:45 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by hcgaloi
Thanks so much for helping...
Sorry, I can not help but can commiserate, and point out that many here have obviously excellent helpful LBS in their area and some of us do not, most being very much brand specific for parts and service. I am a C&V guy and don't bother anymore with shops here but wait until I visit the kids in Portland OR to track down parts or seek info.
Old 12-12-18, 08:37 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
From good 'ol eBay:
US Stock Angular Contact Bearing ACB845 1-1/8" MH-P08 30.15 x 41 x 6.5mm 45°/45°
US Stock Angular Contact Bearing ACB4052 1-1/2" MH-P16 40 x 52 x 7mm 45°/45°

About 20 bucks for the pair. Just reuse the existing expander and leave the crown race on the fork. Unless corrosion has been an issue, they should be fine. Angular contact bearings last quite a long time.

I figure the LBS's got it wrong because the most common 41.8 OD bearing is 8mm tall, and the 52 OD is 10mm tall. My son's bike calls for a really tall lower headset bearing. I just used a typical 8mm bearing and machined a taller crown race.
Old 12-12-18, 06:55 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
The best thing to do is to get out the calipers and give everything a measure. Most likely the shop didn't do that because it may have looked like a more standard-ish bearing when in fact it was something a bit more exotic (IE: maybe a bit taller or wider or something). I would say get your measurements together and go to Cane Creek's Headset fit finder. That is what I use though typically I am able to find most of my bikes on there but when I can't good ole calipers (I like digital, myself) will do the job quite well. I like Cane Creek's 110 series but the 40 series is just fine and their new Hellbender 70 is the same quality 110 bearing with cheaper Asian cups and such.

I have done bearing measurements before going bearing to bearing and checking any numbers on both but I always like to double check with the calipers just so I don't send the customer off with the wrong bearing. It can happen sometimes, we are only human after all.
Old 12-14-18, 07:01 PM
hcgaloi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last update...
I went to another bike shop, but it didn't have the needed parts. So, I contacted FSA customer support, their response was amazingly quick. I have ordered the given part numbers.

Thanks everyone for your help