Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Leg cramps and bike fit: Is there a correlation?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 09-30-19, 07:18 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

i suffer from extreme leg cramps.
yes, i've tried;
-hydrating before, during and after
- electrolyte formulas
- salt pills
- mustard
- pickle juice
- salt laced waters
- bananas
- magnesium
none of those seem to work.
now, i'm wondering if my fit could lend to my problem. could the saddle height or crank length be the perpetrators?
thoughts...
Old 09-30-19, 09:11 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Sure there is. If the saddle is too low in particular.
Old 09-30-19, 10:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
If the saddle is too wide and partially cutting off circulation to the legs, that can do it too.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-01-19, 12:23 AM
Bicycle...and D

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Astra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Do you cramp up when walking, too?
Old 10-01-19, 09:48 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
In general, I've found hydration, electrolyte intake, fit, flexibility/stretching, and general fitness to be the factors that can influence likelihood of cramps.

I've done many hours' of swimming in the ocean, where lack of hydration combined with the intensity of the swim (very large waves) were two prime factors on the "cramping" days.

I've had a relatively poorly-fit saddle (height, fore/aft positioning for reach) contribute, causing the legs to have to work beyond the level of fitness I had at the time. I'm fairly convinced the overwork on those occasions was a key factor.

I've also had some months, over the years of athletics, in which I've been less than ready for the amount of work, load or route challenge (ie, hills, speeds) demanded. (Soccer, swimming, cycling, running.)

Would suggest at least considering each of these areas, as I think they can contribute.

Hard to say which one(s) it might be, in your case. Might take a little while to go through all the possibilities, but you'll probably get a better fit, re-check your technique, validate your training regimen, consider your fitness as compared to the routes/challenges you're expecting your muscles to cope with. Not a bad thing, even if it takes awhile to "nail" the actual issue(s).

Last edited by Clyde1820; 10-02-19 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-19, 08:00 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
In general, I've found hydration, electrolyte intake, fit, flexibility/stretching, and general fitness to be the favors that can influence...
This. Add to that good health or more precisely the lack there of and you have your answer(s).
Old 10-02-19, 02:48 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4345 Post(s)
Liked 2,993 Times in 1,849 Posts
All of the above, but mostly it's riding fitness. Early in the riding season, I might get cramps after a ride of X miles, but later in the season, that same ride (and hydration and all other things) won't phase my legs at all. I may instead be vulnerable to cramps at distances of 2X. And yet later, 2X miles can be a piece of cake.

If I am riding more than my legs are accustomed, I can be vulnerable to terrible cramps - the kind where I can't even get off the bike or, later, sitting on the couch, make me nearly scream in pain when I try to stand. But if I have enough miles in my legs, I can toss off a century without even thinking about the possibility of cramps.

People have all kinds of crazy ideas about the causes and cures of leg cramps, but assuming a reasonable intake of fluids and electrolytes, the number one issue is fitness.

As to fit, yeah, maybe, but it's unlikely to be the major cause. Further, lots of other joint (or back) issues are likely to make themselves known owing to fit issues, well before leg cramps. If your knees/hips/back/etc. don't hurt on your rides, then probably this is barking up the wrong tree.
Old 10-02-19, 09:33 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
If you're riding say 150 miles a week on similar terrain and similar effort every week, have been doing that for a couple of months, and are still cramping, let us know because there is something unusual going on. When I used to ride more competitively, a 500' anaerobic climb, followed a few minutes later by an all-out hill sprint could cause nasty cramps, but understandably.
Old 10-03-19, 04:51 AM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
What part of your legs (calves, quads, hamstrings)?
Old 10-03-19, 07:30 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There is still no clear consensus as to why cramps occur. I've ridden ~200 miles a week every week for five years, and still get calf cramps sometimes--- mostly when I'm asleep in bed. Sometimes a leg will cramp up while I'm just reaching to put something on a shelf.

So when folks start saying it's down to bike fit or rider fitness, that is most certainly not always the case. I've fought a cramp at mile 100, I've fought one at mile 15. Hot weather, cold weather, doesn't matter.

For clarity: I'm not a "chronic cramper." Haven't had one on the bike in about 4 months, haven't had one off the bike in 2 weeks or so. But they are not to be prevented or predicted in my case. They just happen.
Old 10-03-19, 10:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
There is still no clear consensus as to why cramps occur. I've ridden ~200 miles a week every week for five years, and still get calf cramps sometimes--- mostly when I'm asleep in bed. Sometimes a leg will cramp up while I'm just reaching to put something on a shelf.

So when folks start saying it's down to bike fit or rider fitness, that is most certainly not always the case. I've fought a cramp at mile 100, I've fought one at mile 15. Hot weather, cold weather, doesn't matter.

For clarity: I'm not a "chronic cramper." Haven't had one on the bike in about 4 months, haven't had one off the bike in 2 weeks or so. But they are not to be prevented or predicted in my case. They just happen.
Off the bike, evening and night cramps are for sure idiopathic. For me, an on-bike cramp has always been from doing something unusual compared to my recent riding. More frequently, my cramps happen when I attempt to get off the bike, for example after a hard-fought pass climb late in a long ride. I usually lay the bike down so I can walk away. But not for you? You go for a usual day ride on your usual routes and cramp? If so, you're a singular case because in over 20 years of weekly hard group rides, I've never seen that happen to another person. Or maybe it's just that individuals who do weekly hard group rides seldom cramp, IDK.

Do you stretch every day? Mineral supplements? Gym?
Old 10-06-19, 09:07 PM
sgtdirt

the reason i'm exploring bike fit is; i switch between my drop bar bike to a flat bar bike for racing. i do ride my flat bar bike often enough to feel very comfortable but it's not my everyday/club ride bike. although, i have also suffered debilitating cramps with the drop bar bike too, i have never experienced them like i did in my last race while riding my flat bar bike. for the most part, i can either; ride through them or stop and suffer. this time, my vastus medialis (the tear drop shaped muscle next to your knee) would not stop cramping.

i think i'll head into my LBS for a rudimentary fit on the flat bar bike.
Old 10-10-19, 10:26 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
the reason i'm exploring bike fit is; i switch between my drop bar bike to a flat bar bike for racing. i do ride my flat bar bike often enough to feel very comfortable but it's not my everyday/club ride bike. although, i have also suffered debilitating cramps with the drop bar bike too, i have never experienced them like i did in my last race while riding my flat bar bike. for the most part, i can either; ride through them or stop and suffer. this time, my vastus medialis (the tear drop shaped muscle next to your knee) would not stop cramping.

i think i'll head into my LBS for a rudimentary fit on the flat bar bike.
Cramps in the legs Could Be vein constriction and Arteries narrowing : Maybe even blocked : Have you had a Pelvic Scan ???
Old 10-10-19, 11:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,901 Times in 2,538 Posts
I'll 2nd that a saddle too wide, especially at the lower edge and especially as I get close to the sit bone area, is a real issue for me as it cuts off blood circulation to my legs.

Ben
Old 10-11-19, 06:29 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Been drinking a lot of beer?
Old 10-11-19, 06:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
In general, I've found hydration, electrolyte intake, fit, flexibility/stretching, and general fitness to be the factors that can influence likelihood of cramps.

I've done many hours' of swimming in the ocean, where lack of hydration combined with the intensity of the swim (very large waves) were two prime factors on the "cramping" days.

I've had a relatively poorly-fit saddle (height, fore/aft positioning for reach) contribute, causing the legs to have to work beyond the level of fitness I had at the time. I'm fairly convinced the overwork on those occasions was a key factor.

I've also had some months, over the years of athletics, in which I've been less than ready for the amount of work, load or route challenge (ie, hills, speeds) demanded. (Soccer, swimming, cycling, running.)

Would suggest at least considering each of these areas, as I think they can contribute.

Hard to say which one(s) it might be, in your case. Might take a little while to go through all the possibilities, but you'll probably get a better fit, re-check your technique, validate your training regimen, consider your fitness as compared to the routes/challenges you're expecting your muscles to cope with. Not a bad thing, even if it takes awhile to "nail" the actual issue(s).
This is a good template for narrowing down the cause(s). I would add one additional qualifier, did the cramp occur before a full warm-up, at the outset of the ride, or did it occur after an hour or more on the bike?
Old 10-14-19, 05:19 PM
sgtdirt

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
This is a good template for narrowing down the cause(s). I would add one additional qualifier, did the cramp occur before a full warm-up, at the outset of the ride, or did it occur after an hour or more on the bike?
i thought so too.
the cramps happen anywhere between miles 25 and 60. i've never suffered cramps off the bike (i.e. in my sleep or resting on the couch)
Old 10-14-19, 06:06 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Sometimes I get quad cramps if I ride a bike, after having walked down a lot of stairs earlier that day. I've seen the part about walking down stairs mentioned in several other discussions of this topic.

When I got cramps on the bike several months ago, it was while riding a new bike, on which I had been playing around with the fit (fore-aft saddle position, height, etc.) and it was within the first 5 minutes of the ride. And I had walked up and down four flights of stairs, in a building with very high ceilings, equivalent to 6 regular floors. And I always take stairs two at a time.

So I guess with everyone they're slightly different, but that was my experience, and these were around 9/10 on the pain scale. I was in agony, and could not even figure out what caused them, and am still not 100% sure.