Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dura-Ace v. Ultegra

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dura-Ace v. Ultegra

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 06:55 AM
Theotis

Bikes: 2018 Bianchi Infinito CV, 2003 Landshark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dura-Ace v. Ultegra

Ok, I know this is a basic question, but is the difference between dura-ace and ultegra big enough to justify an extra $500+ I'm getting a new bike---I've narrowed it down to three---and looking a the value of spending more just to get dura-ace. If it makes a difference, I plan to get disc brakes regardless. Thanks.
Old 03-15-18, 07:53 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Value wise? No. Probably won't make a dimes worth of difference relative to performance or how fast you'll go. If money isn't so tight, I believe you'll take pride in owning the best offering that Shimano has. Still loving my DA 7800
Old 03-15-18, 07:58 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Please provide us with your tax returns, profit loss statements and an estimate of your projected income, so we can better assist.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-15-18, 08:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
That I'm aware of, it's primarily weight at this point. Ultegra RDs now have Shadow Shifting, the FD design is the same, etc. If you're in to wide gearing, Ultegra actually has an advantage as DA is only offering a short-cage RD.
Old 03-15-18, 08:04 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
It may make a difference at the coffee shop post-ride, depending on who you hang out with.
Old 03-15-18, 08:20 AM
Theotis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Value wise? No. Probably won't make a dimes worth of difference relative to performance or how fast you'll go. If money isn't so tight, I believe you'll take pride in owning the best offering that Shimano has. Still loving my DA 7800
Actually, it's more of the max. cost my wife has agreed to....I'm debating whether to get ultegra and use the savings on upgrades in other areas such as wheelset, seat, etc.
Old 03-15-18, 08:24 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Theotis
Actually, it's more of the max. cost my wife has agreed to....I'm debating whether to get ultegra and use the savings on upgrades in other areas such as wheelset, seat, etc.
Is the wheelset the same between the two bikes? Or rather, would you feel compelled to replace them no matter which trim you choose?
Old 03-15-18, 08:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,534 Times in 7,328 Posts
No serious cyclist would opt for Ultegra over DA.
Old 03-15-18, 08:26 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
Names are important. Get Dura Ace, if only because “ultegra” is the absolute worst brand name ever to come out of Japan. Gah.

“Tiagra” is the second worst.

Last edited by Aubergine; 03-15-18 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Autocorrct doesn’t like Tiagra either
Old 03-15-18, 09:07 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Get Ultegra and put the $500 toward a set of wheels.
Old 03-15-18, 09:09 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Ultegra is fantastic. Dura-Ace is slightly nicer. How much does $500 mean to you?
Old 03-15-18, 09:33 AM
Theotis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is the wheelset the same between the two bikes? Or rather, would you feel compelled to replace them no matter which trim you choose?
It depends on the bike. I'm looking at Bianchi Infinito (Ultegra), Trek Domane SL8 (Dura-ace) and Cannondale Synpase Carbon (Dura-ace). None of the wheelsets or saddles on these bikes are bad (from reviews), but I've never ridden them. My point was that if I'm working off of a set spending limit, then if I get the less expensive ultegra for upgrades, whatever they are, in other areas....or maybe use the extra $ for areo bars for triathlons.
Old 03-15-18, 09:39 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I've got DA on one bike and it pleases me greatly, but if I was buying a bike today and had a budget limit I'd be happy with ultegra. The price difference would buy some nice shoes and pedals.
Old 03-15-18, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Theotis
It depends on the bike. I'm looking at Bianchi Infinito (Ultegra), Trek Domane SL8 (Dura-ace) and Cannondale Synpase Carbon (Dura-ace). None of the wheelsets or saddles on these bikes are bad (from reviews), but I've never ridden them. My point was that if I'm working off of a set spending limit, then if I get the less expensive ultegra for upgrades, whatever they are, in other areas....or maybe use the extra $ for areo bars for triathlons.
Then you really have to take it on a case-by-case and decide. A lot of bikes cheap out on the wheels because they figure that the owners are going to buy, or already have, nice wheels of their choice. In some rare cases, though, upgrading from one groupset to another also nets you a wheelset that would keep all but the most demanding riders happy. Regardless, $500 alone doesn't buy you wheels that would generally be considered to be on par with the level of bikes being discussed - it might go a long way towards those wheels, but it's not going to cover the purchase price.
Old 03-15-18, 09:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

I agree (and was about to post to caution) that $500 probably won't pay for a set of wheels on par with the bikes you're looking at.

What I'd probably do is make a spreadsheet with the prices, go do test rides, and see what each shop will give you for the wheels that came on the bike, if you really plan to replace them.

Triathletes tend to like crazy deep wheels. Which generally don't handle cross wind very well, so you might wind up wanting two sets.
Old 03-15-18, 09:53 AM
Theotis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I agree (and was about to post to caution) that $500 probably won't pay for a set of wheels on par with the bikes you're looking at.

What I'd probably do is make a spreadsheet with the prices, go do test rides, and see what each shop will give you for the wheels that came on the bike, if you really plan to replace them.

Triathletes tend to like crazy deep wheels. Which generally don't handle cross wind very well, so you might wind up wanting two sets.
I agree with you, Wifi and Seattle Forrest, if I do replace the wheels, I would look to purchase from bike store with a credit for the wheels that come on the bike. As for the type of wheels, I'm would only get regular road wheels (not deep aero) as I only do a few triathlons a year and can't justify two sets of wheels.
Old 03-15-18, 09:55 AM
stevoo
Stevoo

Bikes: Road and mountain tandems, single bikes too.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The ride qualities and geo of the bikes the OP lists are very different from one another. OP should focus on those differences rather than the component levels. The difference in how those bikes ride is huge. I suggest renting each for test rides. If OP rides bumpy roads it will be even more enlightening.
Old 03-15-18, 10:06 AM
7daysaweek
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stevoo
The ride qualities and geo of the bikes the OP lists are very different from one another. OP should focus on those differences rather than the component levels. The difference in how those bikes ride is huge. I suggest renting each for test rides. If OP rides bumpy roads it will be even more enlightening.
I agree with this.

But to answer the question: Out of three Shimano drivetrains on my last 3 road bikes (Ultegra, Ultegra Di2, Dura-Ace) the only slight difference I could tell (I think, maybe just in my head) was the front shifting on the Di2 bike is suuuuper smooth. Other than that they feel the same to me.
Old 03-15-18, 10:07 AM
Theotis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevoo
Thanks for the input. I planned to ride all three starting this weekend and will look to cover rough roads. My question regarding the gruppo was to help me decide if the other variables---ride, fit, etc.---are the same or similar.
Old 03-15-18, 10:11 AM
Seattle Forrest

Ride and fit are a lot more important than groupset, but it's hard to talk about that because we can't evaluate them for you.

Again, Ultegra is very nice. I have Ultegra Di2 with hydraulic discs, I love it. Every time I ride I think how great it is. I'm sure I'd love DA even more, but I'm very happy on Ultegra, and you will be, too. It's not like you're considering a Sora bike, where there's going to be a very noticeable and meaningful difference. There's a difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace, but it's a lot more slight.
Old 03-15-18, 10:44 AM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Ride and fit are a lot more important than groupset, but it's hard to talk about that because we can't evaluate them for you.

Again, Ultegra is very nice. I have Ultegra Di2 with hydraulic discs, I love it. Every time I ride I think how great it is. I'm sure I'd love DA even more, but I'm very happy on Ultegra, and you will be, too. It's not like you're considering a Sora bike, where there's going to be a very noticeable and meaningful difference. There's a difference between Ultegra and Dura Ace, but it's a lot more slight.
I agree with SF above. I have bikes with both DA Di2 and Ultegra Di2, and I don't notice a difference. If you're thinking of DA , you should look at upgrading Ultegra to Di2. It's something over time you'll notice and get your money's worth from.
Old 03-15-18, 11:19 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Get Ultegra and put the $500 toward a set of wheels.
+1

And since the OP is getting disc brakes, he can run wheels with carbon rims as well. But many of those will be over the $500 mark, though. In that case, you could sell off the OEM wheels to make up some of the cost difference. If not wheels, then aerobar, stem, different seatpost, clothing, helmet, shoes and pedals, etc...
Old 03-15-18, 11:29 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It wouldn't be for me. There's a lot of stuff with a bigger ROI that you could spend that $500 on.
Old 03-15-18, 12:14 PM
Munk69

Bikes: Ridley Helium

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If your looking at the Domane SL8, that bike comes with Bontrager Carbon wheels and mech dura ace.

I personally think there is a lot of value in that bike.
Old 03-15-18, 02:13 PM
hcgaloi

Bikes: Spcialized RockHopper (free) 1992 Trek T100 Tandem ($220) 2006 Quintana Roo Seduza ($350) 2016 Giant Fastroad ($1100)

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last April and September, i was building two bikes from framesets. I did a price compare between mechanical Ultegra and DA from various online shop from Europe (ProBikeKit, Merlin, Ribble, etc.), and price difference was ~$200. I decided to go with DA. I bought it piece by piece for a total cost of ~$950

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.