Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GCN does bikepacking

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

GCN does bikepacking

Old 05-13-18, 07:53 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
GCN does bikepacking

FYI guys a nice video on bikepacking in the Atlas Mountains. The 3T Exploro used is very nice

Old 05-14-18, 04:50 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I watched that, saw the "professional" bike packer had an Apidura bar bag. But, couldn't tell what the GCN presenter guy was using. I'm looking for a bar bag for my road bike, just about narrowed it down to Apidura vs. Revelate (my other bags are Revelate) but Apidura was more expensive.

Can anyone tell what the GCN guy's bag is? There was an additional tech video on GCN on YouTube but it was all about the bike, since it was a sponsored kind of deal.
Old 05-14-18, 05:47 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Originally Posted by jpescatore
I watched that, saw the "professional" bike packer had an Apidura bar bag. But, couldn't tell what the GCN presenter guy was using. I'm looking for a bar bag for my road bike, just about narrowed it down to Apidura vs. Revelate (my other bags are Revelate) but Apidura was more expensive.

Can anyone tell what the GCN guy's bag is? There was an additional tech video on GCN on YouTube but it was all about the bike, since it was a sponsored kind of deal.
I'm not sure, but on a wider point for lightweight touring mortals who might want to take their valuables with them when they are off the bike or want easy access to stuff I think a conventional handlebar bag like the Ortlieb is more practical.
​​​​​​https://ortliebusa.com/product/ultimate-6-m-classic/
Old 05-14-18, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Show up in Astoria 1st week in June, and you can equipment geek on the 40 or so bikes and riders headed off to race across the USA on the transcontinental tour route race, unsupported , to Yorktown Va.
[many fewer start from the Va end] they seem to have adopted bike-backing bags on race bikes..
Old 05-14-18, 10:18 AM
nun

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Show up in Astoria 1st week in June, and you can equipment geek on the 40 or so bikes and riders headed off to race across the USA on the transcontinental tour route race, unsupported , to Yorktown Va.
[many fewer start from the Va end] they seem to have adopted bike-backing bags on race bikes..
You wouldn't be riding the transcontinental bikes in a crit...rather than race I'd class them as endurance or adventure type bikes; disc brakes, maybe slacker geometry, big tires...28mm, aero bars.

Last edited by nun; 05-14-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 10:30 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Last year at least 1 guy rode a time trial bike, lots bring road race bikes..

They chose their own bikes , you can take it on yourself on what you want to ride..

last year the 1 st finisher was under 14 days..
Old 05-14-18, 10:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...rance-cycling/

some links to the race were posted last year , they all carried thansponders to track their positions..
Old 05-14-18, 01:07 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore

It's a black double-ended drybag with matching harness. Could be a Salsa EXP, Giant Scout, Topeak FrontLoader, Specialized Burra Burra, Restrap Bar Bag.
Old 05-14-18, 06:32 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
did you notice Si's seatbag wagging like a happy Golden Retriever when he set off at one point?
I still think a larger seat bag like the new Arkel 25l one with the support thingee would be great, along with what nun suggests, a waterproof handlebar bag.
Throw in a frame bag for heavy tools and whatnot, and maybe even a front rack with a top tray for a proper sleeping bag and you'd be set.

If I had the disposable income, I'd be having fun doing all this stuff, but I don't, so I just stick wth panniers and having more stuff to be more comfortable, yet alas a lot slower.....
Old 05-15-18, 05:33 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I watched it yesterday and yes I noticed it. :-) I was wondering if someone would bring it up here. FWIW - my seat bag doesn't sway like that ... or maybe I don't take off at such rapid pace ;-)

Originally Posted by djb
did you notice Si's seatbag wagging like a happy Golden Retriever when he set off at one point?
I still think a larger seat bag like the new Arkel 25l one with the support thingee would be great, along with what nun suggests, a waterproof handlebar bag.
Throw in a frame bag for heavy tools and whatnot, and maybe even a front rack with a top tray for a proper sleeping bag and you'd be set.

If I had the disposable income, I'd be having fun doing all this stuff, but I don't, so I just stick wth panniers and having more stuff to be more comfortable, yet alas a lot slower.....
Old 05-15-18, 06:41 AM
nun

Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I watched it yesterday and yes I noticed it. :-) I was wondering if someone would bring it up here. FWIW - my seat bag doesn't sway like that ... or maybe I don't take off at such rapid pace ;-)
The packing was a bit haphazard and strapping a tin mug to the outside of the bag was a bit stupid. I can see an aerodynamical reason for the backpacking saddlebag, but far prefer a transverse saddlebag from a stability stand point.
Old 05-15-18, 05:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
The packing was a bit haphazard and strapping a tin mug to the outside of the bag was a bit stupid. I can see an aerodynamical reason for the backpacking saddlebag, but far prefer a transverse saddlebag from a stability stand point.
lets face it, this piece was more in the "fluffy" and or "fitting the script" of two young, strong guys going on an "awesome" ride, along with the music, the swoopy shots by the accompanying camera crew, and the mug stuck on the outside to me was just fitting in with a preconceived notion of a "jaunty adventure", or at least part of the whole packaged concept that they were portraying.

still fun looking and Im into all things bike, but it certainly was following "the usual suspects" script, and from my experience with exposure to magazine articles, its all about making a splash and selling the magazine, or in this case, the GCN channel, which I actually enjoy watching and have for years now.