Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Easy Racers Gold Rush frame crack- I am sad

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Easy Racers Gold Rush frame crack- I am sad

Old 09-17-19, 11:13 PM
combover

Bikes: Way to many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
What Jan said. I knew Gardner Martin before he passed. He would have made good on the a fix or replacement even though I wasn't the original owner.

Nowadays even long-time dealers have a hard time getting in touch with Easy Racers. It's pretty sad.

In any case, the point is moot. I received my RANS Phoenix a few days ago and I've had a couple shakedown rides. It's very nice. Here it is with my wife's Gold Rush:

I dig those double kickstands, when they are up they look like some sort of twin exhaust, when they are down they allow you to change the rear tube as long as you weigh the front way down, I have a single AND a double on my 1982 Tour Easy with Corbin ...looks like a funky chopper,
Old 09-18-19, 08:25 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Is that a Zephyr seat on your Phoenix?

Combover, the company may still technically be around, but apparently Denton has better things to do than run it.
Old 09-18-19, 05:16 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It looks like an Easy Racers seat except the backrest. If you look underneath the seat you will see the aluminum mount that slips over the RANS V-clamp. Easy Racers made some of their seats to work with the V-clamp. I had an ER Aptera and it's seat had a V-clamp mount. I am sure the seat bottom is Easy Racers, but the backrest is not an ER Cobra or Sprinter backrest unless ER changed something right at the end before they closed down.
Old 09-18-19, 07:53 PM
combover

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Combover, the company may still technically be around, but apparently Denton has better things to do than run it.
I just called them and they answered the phone and said they are still there but not building frames at this time, they have some consignments and new old stock frames and bikes available !
Old 09-18-19, 09:09 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts

It's a Easy Racers Cobra seat. I actually got this one with my Tour Easy ages ago. I transferred it to my Gold Rush and it lives on on the Phoenix. Rose City Recumbents in Portland (where I bought the Phoenix frameset) have an adapter. Obviously I like the Cobra seat.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-18-19, 09:17 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by combover
That Rans is SHARP !! I have a Gold Rush just like your wife's ! what kind of light set up is that on hers in front of the fairing
TerraCycle mount with a B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo headlight. She's got a SON dynamo hub on her bike.

My Phoenix will have a similar setup. It's got a Shimano generator hub- I'm going to mount the headlight on the left fork blade below the fairing mount.

Old 09-19-19, 01:00 PM
iambent

Bikes: RANS Stratus 700, Bacchetta Corsa, HPV Gekko FX 20, Rover Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a Easy Racers Cobra seat. I actually got this one with my Tour Easy ages ago. I transferred it to my Gold Rush and it lives on on the Phoenix. Rose City Recumbents in Portland (where I bought the Phoenix frameset) have an adapter. Obviously I like the Cobra seat.
I knew the seat bottom was Easy Racers, but the backrest fooled me. I once owned a 1994 TE and it had the Cobra seat (only option back then) and I remember quite a bit of padding in the backrest. When I looked at the photo it did not look as though the backrest had much padding. Looked more like the padding on the Sprinter seat, but the Sprinter is not rounded at the top. It must be the angle of the photo that fooled me, I should have known it was a Cobra.
Old 09-21-19, 10:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
So this happened today. I was riding my Gold Rush to Portland Sunday Parkways when my steerer started acting funny- there was some extra noise and friction. As first I thought the headset was loose, but my friend and fellow bike mechanic Paul Heijn looked closely and said:

"Stop. Your frame is cracked."

Fortunately I was able to ride (gingerly) back to RecumbentPDX, call my wife, and get picked up. The bike has had a good life- I've had it about 14 years and ridden the heck out of it.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to do next. The frugal part of me wants to get it repaired (I've posted a question on the Framebuilders forum about this.) but I could replace it if I can find one. Or I might scrap it and get a new bike. I'm not sure, and I'm going to take a bit to consider my options.

Anyone have an extra-large Easy Racers frame or bike they want to sell? I want an aluminum Gold Rush of course but I'd consider a steel Tour Easy or a Ti-Rush. Extra-large size (70.5" axle-to-axle) is a must.

"If it moves, and it's not supposed to, wrap it with duck tape."?
Old 09-21-19, 03:13 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
"If it moves, and it's not supposed to, wrap it with duck tape."?

A couple people suggested that it could be repaired by wrapping a couple layers of carbon fiber (starting with a layer of fiberglass to prevent electrolytic corrosion). I thought about that, but I'd still have a 20-year-old bike.

Old 09-22-19, 06:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts

A couple people suggested that it could be repaired by wrapping a couple layers of carbon fiber (starting with a layer of fiberglass to prevent electrolytic corrosion). I thought about that, but I'd still have a 20-year-old bike.
Yeah, that's the "tinker with it" answer. You chose the "ride it" answer.
Old 09-23-19, 09:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts

Sure, the head tube could be cut off and a new one welded in. But as you said, the rest of the bike would still be 20 years old. I like your solution best. Your GRR lived a long and useful life, and now you have a new bike with all-new do-dads.
Old 09-29-19, 08:29 PM
combover

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
they might honor the replacement man, they are still there.............
Old 09-30-19, 11:01 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by combover
they might honor the replacement man, they are still there.............
Too late. The Gold Rush gave up some parts to go on the Phoenix.