Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Flats vs. Clipless?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Flats vs. Clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 09:15 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
One of my little rules of life is that most people are not fools, regardless of how it seems sometimes.
Yeah, that's a good one. Reminds me of the problem of free will, which bothered me for years... in the end, I figured it made the most sense to act as if it doesn't exist for other people, particularly in the aggregate, but to also pretend it's totally a thing as far as oneself is concerned.

Folks just behave according to their circumstances, and writing people off is worse than pointless - if you want them to act differently, you need to change the circumstances somehow.

But of course, considering your own life as a ride with no driver is pretty demoralising; I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-29-19, 09:46 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Yeah, that's a good one. Reminds me of the problem of free will, which bothered me for years... in the end, I figured it made the most sense to act as if it doesn't exist for other people, particularly in the aggregate, but to also pretend it's totally a thing as far as oneself is concerned.

Folks just behave according to their circumstances, and writing people off is worse than pointless - if you want them to act differently, you need to change the circumstances somehow.

But of course, considering your own life as a ride with no driver is pretty demoralising; I wouldn't recommend it.
Amanda Palmer has a lovely tune, "It's just a Ride":
Old 07-30-19, 05:53 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Amanda Palmer has a lovely tune, "It's just a Ride": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYFz5Jo0xl0
Bill Hicks had a similar theory...

Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-30-19, 07:47 AM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a pair of clipless shoes coming in the mail. I do see the potential in them, and in my opinion it forces you to fit yourself to the bike better since you'll be pinned in that position the whole ride.

However, one thing that may hold me back from wearing them the first time is the potential for loss of finesse in near crash saves. Even yesterday, I was braking and slowing in a turn when I hit some wet, slick asphalt. The back end slid around fast. I reacted with my legs to balance me and to prop me up to keep me from going down hard. Truth is, I was using way too much rear brake.

Once I go clipless, I'll just need to be more careful - mindful of what's happening around me. I need to do that anyway!

Cheers!
Old 07-30-19, 08:31 AM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by runnergoneridin
I've got a pair of clipless shoes coming in the mail. I do see the potential in them, and in my opinion it forces you to fit yourself to the bike better since you'll be pinned in that position the whole ride.

However, one thing that may hold me back from wearing them the first time is the potential for loss of finesse in near crash saves. Even yesterday, I was braking and slowing in a turn when I hit some wet, slick asphalt. The back end slid around fast. I reacted with my legs to balance me and to prop me up to keep me from going down hard. Truth is, I was using way too much rear brake.

Once I go clipless, I'll just need to be more careful - mindful of what's happening around me. I need to do that anyway!

Cheers!
The SH56 cleats make unclipping a lot easier. I’ve had the misfortune of putting it to the test several times due to drivers who are unaware of cyclists and I’ve been able to unclip and get my leg out to tripod while also jamming on the brakes. But being more mindful of what’s going on around you is never a bad idea regarding of pedal type.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-30-19, 08:34 AM
runnergoneridin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarloM
The SH56 cleats make unclipping a lot easier. I’ve had the misfortune of putting it to the test several times due to drivers who are unaware of cyclists and I’ve been able to unclip and get my leg out to tripod while also jamming on the brakes. But being more mindful of what’s going on around you is never a bad idea regarding of pedal type.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-30-19, 08:51 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Once you go clipless you don't go back.
Likes For CyclingFever: