Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Two "I'm Gonna Shoot You" Threats This Month...and counting...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Two "I'm Gonna Shoot You" Threats This Month...and counting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 12:56 PM
jbabic
ol' Icebeard

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT-5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not really suggesting, just making a statement. Read over his posts and draw your own conclusions.

Mine is more a statement on karma; something I recognize lately as I struggle with it myself.
Old 06-19-10, 12:59 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbabic
Not really suggesting, just making a statement. Read over his posts and draw your own conclusions.

Mine is more a statement on karma; something I recognize lately as I struggle with it myself.

We do not like to admit the veracity of your statement but by and large--tis true.

I hate that.

Every action has a reaction--every choice a consequence.
Old 06-19-10, 01:40 PM
rorban

Bikes: KHS Urban Express

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Gee you resurrected an old thread. I guess it's appropriate to ask if everyone survived to now...Joey?
Sorry... you would think on a forum people would actually be able to read...

Glad to hear you are OK joey!
Old 06-19-10, 02:11 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You guys think you have it so bad. Earlier this week someone yelled at me to get on the sidewalk during my evening commute.

Yeah, that's right, she yelled.
Old 06-19-10, 04:34 PM
wunderkind
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
God how I love my town sometimes.
Note to self: Cross out New Orleans from places to visit.

Has the government fixed up the place yet post-Katrina?
Old 06-19-10, 05:01 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
Note to self: Cross out New Orleans from places to visit.
Been there myself just twice -- once for the World's Fair (trash compared to the one in Vancouver) and once at New Year's. I'm not going back.

Has the government fixed up the place yet post-Katrina?
I was talking about that with a friend just yesterday --

I don't blame the government nearly as much as I blame NOLA's locals (JoeyBike aside). I remember reading an article -- maybe National Geographic, but it's been a while -- about a Vietnamese grocery store owner who got his place up and running within just a week or two of the hurricane.

He wasn't looking for a handout, he wasn't trying to place blame, he just busted his hump and rebuilt his business.

I have no sympathy for the other people who refuse to rebuild their own community.
Old 06-19-10, 05:28 PM
Lot's Knife

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard you can drive east from New Orleans for many miles and still not find a habitable home. This, five years on.
Old 06-19-10, 05:46 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think the bicycle community should struggle more with its commitment to blaming victims.
Old 06-19-10, 05:57 PM
Lot's Knife

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a bicycle community?
Old 06-19-10, 08:26 PM
jbabic
ol' Icebeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmitt
I think the bicycle community should struggle more with its commitment to blaming victims.
Could you elaborate some? I don't understand what you mean. For example, in this instance who would you say is the 'victim' - JoeyBike, or the laws he breaks for his own convenience?
Old 06-19-10, 09:03 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Please ride more safely. We all impact each other in our interactions.
Like I said just above. Got a better job in a better neighborhood 8 minutes from my home. I think I am more likely to be struck by reentering space debris than a hoodlum or a motor vehicle now. Not one stoplight between home and work. So I won't be running any during commutes. And no drunken, clueless tourist Zombies wandering aimlessly across my line. Peace at last. Karma has finally caught up with me. I have paid my dues to that tramp.

As for the ignorant Katrina comments in several other posts here: Next time 80 percent of your city goes under water for a month, check back in 5 years and tell me how it's goin' for ya. As for the Gov. helping us, in case you hadn't heard, the Gov caused the flood with substandard levee construction and inept inspections. United States Corps of Engineers. Yep.

For those of you who live in more northerly climes, did you realize that EVERY YEAR snow related losses of work, transit, preparation, removal, power outages, infrastructure damage et., al., results in more cost to taxpayers than Hurricane Katrina? Every danged year. Yet I pay my taxes and am happy to help y'all out. So from all of us collectively in NOLA....bite me.

Reference to above claim: https://www.economics.noaa.gov/?goal=...now&view=costs

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-19-10 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 09:07 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Joey, I like your style. Years ago, when I was a naval officer, we called this "asserting our right to free navigation". That is, we would, for no ostensible reason, sail into waters that various countries were claiming as their own in contravention of various laws of the sea. And we would do it with a chip on shoulder, most infamously when the fleet cross the "Line of Death" in the Gulf of Sidra, received some hostilities, then bombed the heck out of Libya.

And to jbabic, IMO, all this karma, feel good stuff is cowardice posing as high minded morality. Joey has every right to ride any darn place he pleases in the USA and not be hassled for the color of his skin even if he does ride a little aggressively (what would you have said if the roles were reversed and he were a black guy being hassled by white rednecks or even a white guy being hassled by white rednecks?).

Last edited by robatsu; 06-19-10 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-10, 09:11 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Smoke a cigarette while riding and throw M-80 firecrackers at 'em . . .
Old 06-19-10, 09:19 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by robatsu
Joey has every right to ride any darn place he pleases in the USA and not be hassled for the color of his skin even if he does ride a little aggressively ...
Just to be clear, riding through sketchy neighborhoods happens as a result of avoiding the busier roads where I am likely to ignore laws. I am doing nothing wrong on those back streets. Just minding my own business. I can't even blow stop signs because of poor lines of sight. I can't break the speed limit because of all the stop signs. So I am in fact just being hassled for my skin color.
Old 06-19-10, 09:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by zonatandem
Smoke a cigarette while riding and throw M-80 firecrackers at 'em . . .
I always wondered how people can smoke while cycling. I would get a burning ash in my eye first try.
Old 06-19-10, 09:36 PM
robatsu

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Just to be clear, riding through sketchy neighborhoods happens as a result of avoiding the busier roads where I am likely to ignore laws. I am doing nothing wrong on those back streets. Just minding my own business. I can't even blow stop signs because of poor lines of sight. I can't break the speed limit because of all the stop signs. So I am in fact just being hassled for my skin color.
You don't even have to justify this or apologize. You have every right to be there and not be victimized or held to a higher standard of conduct because of the color of your skin. I've been going to nola for decades, my uncle came back from WWII, opened the first automatic car wash in nola, just across the the 17th St. Canal from the cemetery along Old Metairie Road. Weird, dark, disturbing place, Nola is, but nice thing is for cyclists is that it is flat as a pancake except for a few of the bridges over the expressways. Pavement sucks, though, due to all the subsidence with water pumping and all.
Old 06-20-10, 05:55 AM
jbabic
ol' Icebeard

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joey, I like your style. Years ago, when I was a naval officer, we called this "asserting our right to free navigation". That is, we would, for no ostensible reason, sail into waters that various countries were claiming as their own in contravention of various laws of the sea. And we would do it with a chip on shoulder, most infamously when the fleet cross the "Line of Death" in the Gulf of Sidra, received some hostilities, then bombed the heck out of Libya.
With all due respect sir, I believe you are drawing an inappropriate comparison. In my argument, I am drawing in more of JoeyBike's illegal behavior in regards to traffic laws. This is not challenging navigation rights in international waters here.

And to jbabic, IMO, all this karma, feel good stuff is cowardice posing as high minded morality. Joey has every right to ride any darn place he pleases in the USA and not be hassled for the color of his skin even if he does ride a little aggressively (what would you have said if the roles were reversed and he were a black guy being hassled by white rednecks or even a white guy being hassled by white rednecks?).
Again, I think you are misunderstanding my argument with this statement. I believe that roads are for everyone's use, and laws have been put in place to make sure everyone has use to them. JoeyBikes documented behavior on these roads is offensive to others who use those roads. I am offended that he comes here looking for sympathy. That, to me, is more of an example of cowardice than what you call high minded morality.

Seriously, if you witness cycling like JoeyBike practices while you are driving a car I would have a hard time believing that you would not be offended yourself.

Again, my arguments go beyond riding in sketchy neighborhoods. I myself also ride through some depressed neighborhoods and have been challenged much like yourself. I am lucky enough to be able to pass through for whatever reason.

JoeyBike (and others) I also run red lights and otherwise offend motorists, though not to your extent. I know that I likely offend others with that behavior but I don't start seeking any sympathy for the results and consequences for those actions.

It could be that some of the reactions you are seeing is the result of your past behaviors.
Old 06-20-10, 11:00 AM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
JoeyBike (and others) I also run red lights and otherwise offend motorists, though not to your extent. I know that I likely offend others with that behavior but I don't start seeking any sympathy for the results and consequences for those actions.

It could be that some of the reactions you are seeing is the result of your past behaviors.
Well, as long as we can blame a guy for the things that happen to him, that's way more important than anything else.

It can't be about how foolish our traffic laws are, how hyped-up and tough one has to be to get by in NOLA, or anything else. No, we're cyclists. We blame our own. Period.

Last edited by Kimmitt; 06-20-10 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo