Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hanging bike with carbon wheels?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 11:48 AM
BillyK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings,
I just recently picked up a set of Mavic Carbon SL wheels. (Aluminum rims with 52mm carbon fairings) Up until now, I've been using the standard hangers with the thin rubber coating, hanging the bike from the front wheel. I'm a little uncomfortable with hanging the bike via the same method with the new wheels. As a temporary workaround, I've swapped the front wheel with one of my trainer wheels, and then hung the "carbon" wheel by itself on a hook with some pipe insulation over it. Obviously this isn't ideal as it's somewhat inconvenient performing the swap before/after every ride. How is everyone else hanging their bikes with carbon wheels? (directly on the rubber hooks, adding some padding, swapping the wheel, etc.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Hanging them directly on the cheesy thin rubber hooks just doesn't seem like a wise decision to me, but what do I know. Thanks.
Old 03-21-12, 12:02 PM
Sir Real
Señor Member

Bikes: 2011 Litespeed M1 (Rival)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should keep your carbon fiber wheels and frrame wrapped in bubble wrap at all times, even when you're riding them.
Old 03-21-12, 12:06 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
You don't need any pipe insulation to hang the wheel on its own.
Old 03-21-12, 12:06 PM
VA_Esquire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but only Competitive Cyclist made bubble wrap or you're bike will asplode.
Old 03-21-12, 12:34 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Imagine the forces and stress you put on the wheels when riding them. Now imagine the forces acting on the wheels when hanging. Think about that for a little bit...take a moment.
Old 03-21-12, 12:35 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Imagine the forces and stress you put on the wheels when riding them. Now imagine the forces acting on the wheels when hanging. Think about that for a little bit...take a moment.
Forget all that...bring it in to the living room and make it part of your decor.
Old 03-21-12, 12:59 PM
BillyK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My concern is really about the thin edge of a lightly padded hook applying 20lbs of pressure to the apex of the carbon fairing
over an extended period of time. (indentations that may compromise structure, etc.) The fairing is not a wide surface like
a typical rim, but more pointy. I don't think that you can compare this to the pressures from normal riding. Anyone else with
carbon wheels that have some suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-21-12, 01:01 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd hang bikes from normal carbon wheels without worrying. But wheels with a non-load bearing carbon fairing? I'd want to look carefully at the fairing when the bike's supported on it and see if it is deforming in any way. Some of those fairings are pretty thin. If it's deforming from the bike weight I would not hang the bike on it.

Have you checked the manufacturer's documentation? They often address things like this.
Old 03-21-12, 01:08 PM
bjamis75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fill the tires with helium to relieve a bit of the weight while hanging
Old 03-21-12, 01:09 PM
BillyK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
I'd hang bikes from normal carbon wheels without worrying. But wheels with a non-load bearing carbon fairing? I'd want to look carefully at the fairing when the bike's supported on it and see if it is deforming in any way. Some of those fairings are pretty thin. If it's deforming from the bike weight I would not hang the bike on it.

Have you checked the manufacturer's documentation? They often address things like this.

Thank you for the response. This is precisely my concern. The carbon fairings are very thin. No, I haven't
had a chance to check the manufacturer's documentation yet but that's a good idea. I have a feeling that
I'll probably just swap out the wheel when it's being hung. Better safe than sorry. I'm not even sure if
I'd be comfortable with adding extra padding on the hook to be quite honest.
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The carbon on those wheels are not structural and only serve to make the wheels more aero. The spoke nipples are in the aluminum. The carbon faring is quite thin and hollow so I personally wouldn't be hanging the bike by the wheel.

edit: I type slow, see ericm979's post
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
so you are hanging your bike on the pointy part of the interior of the rim? You need to stop this right away and send me the parts for scientific evaluation before you do any further damage! I'll road test the wheels and if they perform satisfactorily, I'll return them back to you, but if they asplode, you're toast.
Old 03-21-12, 01:11 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the fairing is non-structural, why worry? Not that it's anything but an imaginary problem in the first place.
Old 03-21-12, 01:19 PM
gadabout007
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
If the fairing is non-structural, why worry? Not that it's anything but an imaginary problem in the first place.
There's a possibility that the hook would cause dents or worse in the carbon with the weight of the bike hanging on such a thin edge. Any damage would be purely aesthetic. I don't think the problem is imaginary... the results, just won't be catastrophic.
Old 03-21-12, 01:31 PM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably wouldn't do this with carbon fairing wheels either - they aren't designed to be load bearing. I would try to devise an alternative storage system.
Old 03-21-12, 01:43 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Jesus guys. 20 lbs isn't going to snap a fairing no matter how thin it is. Relax.
Old 03-21-12, 01:44 PM
Jed19

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
FWIW, I have been hanging my bike with Dura-Ace 50mm carbon wheels upside down from two hooks in my garage for over a year now with no issues. I did put some pipe insulation on the hooks to cushion the impact.
Old 03-21-12, 01:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
OMG why don't you just build a separate shrine to your bike in the back yard?

Sheesh.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-21-12, 01:51 PM
Breal

Bikes: Tarmac S- Works; Cervelo S5; Lynskey Helix; Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 years of hanging, no issues so far.........
Old 03-21-12, 01:58 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gadabout007
There's a possibility that the hook would cause dents or worse in the carbon with the weight of the bike hanging on such a thin edge. Any damage would be purely aesthetic. I don't think the problem is imaginary... the results, just won't be catastrophic.
Any carbon fairing that thin would flutter in the breeze. It's a non-issue.
Old 03-21-12, 02:10 PM
vautrain

Bikes: Several, all steel and 650b

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why not just hang the bike from the frame instead of the wheel?
Old 03-21-12, 02:47 PM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had similar concerns about wall hangers and after some BF assurance (see thread below) I hung my bike. It's been a year now and no issues. The metal Hook I use has a rubber pad and I've been keeping an eye on that to make sure it's not worn off and the wheel will not hit metal.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...els?highlight=
Old 03-21-12, 02:49 PM
helicoptor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dont be ridiculous
Old 03-21-12, 04:30 PM
BillyK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions. I checked with two senior mechanics that I know from two different bike shops
and both of them suggested against hanging bikes by their carbon wheels, especially with my particular type of wheels. (One mechanic advises
his customers against hanging bikes by their wheels EVEN WHEN the carbon is structural) Anyhow, I've decided to order a floor bike stand
which I'll put in my basement. Anyone have any experience with this stand? Thanks again everyone for your input.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=3999844

Last edited by BillyK; 03-21-12 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-21-12, 04:51 PM
foresthill

Bikes: MTB: Stumpjumper FSR, Road: De Rosa King 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been hanging my bike by its DV46Cs since I got them in 2008. Absolutely not an issue with them. They are made to support the weight and forces of my bike WITH ME ON IT GOING 50+ MPH. sitting there with just the weight of the bike isn't going to do diddly squat to them No idea about your non-structural wheels, tho.

My last shop hung all the bikes they had in for mechanical work, even the ones with carbon wheels.

Last edited by foresthill; 03-21-12 at 05:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.