Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beginner with some questions

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 02:59 PM
Poodie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to get into road biking. I was set on getting the Specialized Allez Sport Compact (2013) with the carbon fork. I would be buying this new ($850) and putting a odometer on it, bottle cages, saddle pack.

The other option I now have available is to buy a 2010 Specialized Roubaix that supposedly was only ridden a few times for $900 with a odometer, cages, saddle pack.

I'm not sure how much I'll get into it, no races planned now, just 20-30 mile rides on the bike path.

If I buy new I get a warranty on the frame, free tune up over a year and they'll size me to the bike, etc.

What do you recommend I do? I'd like the all carbon bike but do I need it?
Old 07-02-13, 03:01 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
No, you don't need it.
Many of us ride non-carbon bikes.
Take them both for test rides and see which you like better.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-02-13, 03:06 PM
Raidboss

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No you dont need it, I ride an Aluminium bike and its was my first bike from over 3 years ago. Do I feel comfortable enough with my bike handling skills now to ride an all carbon bike yes. Did I want to buy a carbon bike as my first bike, yes. I'm I glad that I did not...yes only because the spills that I have taken now, I would not have wanted to have taken on a carbon bike. Would they have broken the bike no, but I glad that I can now save and get my dream carbon bike and know that I'm a good enough rider to not have to much worry about dropping the frame.
Old 07-02-13, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I'd be wary of buying a used carbon bike without a really good inspection. Even though carbon is usually more comfortable than aluminum. Also, the free fit (if it's even close to a quality one) is a big thing. And as someone who's frame was replaced under warranty, I'd say a warranty is important, too.
Old 07-02-13, 03:49 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Tough call. Forget the "need", how badly do you want it?
Old 07-02-13, 03:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Go New for the warranty.

I have 5 aluminum bikes.

Ride is good by controlling the PSI in the tires.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tttt.jpg (99.0 KB, 26 views)

Old 07-02-13, 04:13 PM
License2Ill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both these bikes fit you? Have you ridden them yet? Not much of the details matter until you've had some seat time or figured out the right fit.
Old 07-02-13, 04:36 PM
Poodie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by License2Ill
Both these bikes fit you? Have you ridden them yet? Not much of the details matter until you've had some seat time or figured out the right fit.
Thanks for the feedback guys! I've ridden the allez, both are the ride tube height for me. I'll spend mostly all of my time on a bike path so I don't think aluminum would be bad by any means I'm just thinking a year down the road. He's already taken the hit buying it new that I would avoid. It seems like the next step up is carbon so if it's essentially the same price, I was leaning towards the carbon. I'll be able to ride it Sunday.
Old 07-02-13, 05:36 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I originally went used. By the time I got the bike setup properly (new saddle, new tires) I'd spent a good deal more than expected (~$200). If I had to do it over again I would probably buy new.

The ONLY time I would suggest a new rider is if they have an experience cyclist buddy they can lean heavily on to evaluate bikes and fix issues. As a newbie you just don't know what to look for in a used bike.
Old 07-02-13, 06:35 PM
dwatson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The geometry is different also. The Allez has a shorter head tube giving it a lower riding position. The Roubaix will have more upright position due to the longer head tube.
I have ridden both and would go with the Allez for my riding style. But I would ride both and see which fits your style. Which ever you go with get it fitted. This would put the new bike lead for me. Most shop will swap stems if need to get the fit
Old 07-03-13, 03:05 AM
Raidboss

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwatson
The geometry is different also. The Allez has a shorter head tube giving it a lower riding position. The Roubaix will have more upright position due to the longer head tube.
I have ridden both and would go with the Allez for my riding style. But I would ride both and see which fits your style. Which ever you go with get it fitted. This would put the new bike lead for me. Most shop will swap stems if need to get the fit

I was thinking the same thing, the Roubaix might be better for you if you are going to build fitness and gain miles. If you want to race, crit etc then the lower position will matter more to you.
Old 07-03-13, 02:50 PM
Icculus21

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm about to buy a new bike and do a mix of around town and longer rides for fitness and fun. I actually wanted to stay away from carbon as the weight benefit won't really impact the type of riding I'll be doing, and since I'm in the city I don't want to risk damaging a nice expensive carbon frame. Plus, riding on aluminum will make me stronger. Besides, I can't even afford carbon with my budget, but I can definitely get a nice entry-mid range bike with a carbon fork and a nice gruppo that's more than sufficient for my needs.
Old 07-03-13, 03:09 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
From what I hear they're instituting new tests that the LBS has to administer to ensure that you are "worthy" of a carbon bike before are allowed to purchase one.
Old 07-03-13, 06:32 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Which one looks better to you. Seriously. The bike that looks cooler is the one I would go with. The better looking the bike, the more I want to ride.
Old 07-03-13, 06:44 PM
PNWDan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to make this same choice when buying my first road bike just two weeks ago. I chose to go with a 2006 Specialized Roubiax Elite Triple. It felt much better on the rough roads.

I did blow another $300 on a new saddle, pedals, & tires, but I got much better components than found on a new $1k bike.
Old 07-03-13, 06:52 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
From what I hear they're instituting new tests that the LBS has to administer to ensure that you are "worthy" of a carbon bike before are allowed to purchase one.
I thought that was only wheels? Sorry, all these rules are hard to keep up with.
Old 07-03-13, 06:55 PM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the bike with Shimano 105 or better components. I vote you get the aluminum bike as a first bike, keep it for the rest of your life and when you get more experience on it you can figure out if you want a carbon "race bike" or something with a taller head-tube like a Roubaix.
Old 07-16-13, 11:35 AM
Poodie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I ended up buying the used Roubaix and I love it! 13 mile first ride, 20 mile two days later, 27 miles last night. Rides awesome, 105s were definitely a must. I never rode the aluminum one close to a long distance, but this bike is just so smooth, I got it adjusted and have no pains riding it. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-16-13, 12:42 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Poodie
Well I ended up buying the used Roubaix and I love it! 13 mile first ride, 20 mile two days later, 27 miles last night. Rides awesome, 105s were definitely a must. I never rode the aluminum one close to a long distance, but this bike is just so smooth, I got it adjusted and have no pains riding it. Thanks for the input guys!
Good for you. It's a great deal and you will enjoy it for years .... until the upgrade bug bites.
Old 07-16-13, 01:18 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen