Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Eyewear post cataract surgery

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 08:53 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts

My surgery is coming up in a few weeks and since I am getting the Vivity extended depth of focus lenses the doc says I can expect to not need glasses for anything except real close work and maybe reading. My phone and gps should be fine with no glasses as should distance and anything in between. I asked about the week in between the two eyes being done when he said I should be able to ride. It seems options vary from just using no prescription glasses to taking out the prescription lenses on the corrected side. Since I have sunglasses that I kept the original lenses for. I can put the non prescription lens back in for each eye as needed. That seems like the way to go for riding in bright daylight.

What did any of you do when one eye was done and not the other? If you took a prescription lenses out did you add some kind of protective goggles or something? If so what worked out well. I often trail ride in the dark with a headlamp so clear lenses would be a nice option.
Old 05-08-24, 12:45 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
I had six months between cataract surgery in each eye, very myopic. I wore a contact lens in the eye in waiting and Oakley Half Jacket sunglasses. The only time things got squirly were the two weeks prior to each surgery when contact lens had to be removed from each eye prior to surgery. Now, I see 20/20 and 20/25. Truly miraculous surgery! And need +200 for close in reading. This I can de with. A great trade off from where I was before.
Old 05-08-24, 01:37 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I would think that 2 to 6 months between eyes might be a better plan.
Old 05-08-24, 01:54 PM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
My doc suggested two weeks between with one week of no riding. That seems to be the norm among folks I know who had the surgery with cataracts and no complications or other issues.

He knows I am a mtb trail rider and has a good idea of what I do since he is a MTB rider as well. That gives me a bit more faith in his advice.