Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

2009 Crosstown 1.0 vs 2005 Trek Navigator vs. 2008 Raleigh Detour 4.0

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-10, 09:48 PM
sc0872

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have found a used tred navigator 200 for 250.00 or I have a bike shop that has a new fuji crosstown 1.0 2009 for 579.00 and I have also found a used 2009 Raleigh Detour 4.0 for 300.00 I mostly ride on streets in the small town I live in and I will also ride on the Katy trail in Missouri. Just wanting some input as I am just trying to figure out which one would be the best for me.
Old 06-06-10, 02:27 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on your budget I guess...
Excuse me for being rude, but both the trek navigator and the raleigh detour look like crappy bikes to me.
The Fuji crosstown seems a lot better already, but I think there's better bikes outthere for the same amount ... like the "cube ltd cls pro" for instance.
Old 06-06-10, 08:47 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
For that kind of price, you should also consider a new Specialized Sirrus, or Trek FX, which are both Performance Hybrids. Still get decent ride, and better performance from the bike.

A 500-600 budget open up a big selection in the new Hybrid categories..... I never rode a Detour, but that Navigator is firmly entrenched in the comfort category, and doesn't do real well at longer distances, IMHO.
Old 06-06-10, 09:16 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
It depends on your budget I guess...
Excuse me for being rude, but both the trek navigator and the raleigh detour look like crappy bikes to me.
The Fuji crosstown seems a lot better already, but I think there's better bikes outthere for the same amount ... like the "cube ltd cls pro" for instance.
They may be crappy for YOUR uses but my Navigator got me back into cycling again. It's a fine bike for cruising around town in with the family or friends. It's considered a comfort bike due to the wider 26 inch tires and a good mule for errands. Can take on some hardpack dirt/gravel as well as pavement. The geometry is not designed for speed or for being nimble but I consider it my basic "do it" bike.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 06-06-10, 10:10 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
They may be crappy for YOUR uses but my Navigator got me back into cycling again. It's a fine bike for cruising around town in with the family or friends. It's considered a comfort bike due to the wider 26 inch tires and a good mule for errands. Can take on some hardpack dirt/gravel as well as pavement. The geometry is not designed for speed or for being nimble but I consider it my basic "do it" bike.
And, therein, lies the strength of the Navigator - a good short distance utility bike, comfortable around the neighborhood thanks to the very upright riding position, and with WIDE tires for riding just about anywhere.

The tradeoff being, uncomfortable on long distances due to the high seat pressure created by the very upright posture, slower thanks to the very wide tires, and kinda heavy due it being a good utility bike.

If you want it to ride around the neighborhood with the kids, carry groceries, and ride only on unpaved surfaces - this could be the bike for you.

But, the"Performance Hybrids,"with "relatively wide" tires, more aggressive geometry, and lighter frames, will do all of that, and more, - and be easier to handle longer rides. IMHO

It is a good bike for it's intended use - just not as flexible as a more performance oriented Hybrid.
Old 06-09-10, 08:14 AM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I had a Navigator once-upon-a-time and I'd love to have another one at some point. They are just FUN bikes and they are "comfort" bikes. But if you like it and it gets you out riding, then go for it!

Find what suits you, feels like it will be fun to ride, fits in your budget, and will get you out riding! Good luck!
Old 06-09-10, 08:41 PM
Whiteknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
For that kind of price, you should also consider a new Specialized Sirrus, or Trek FX, which are both Performance Hybrids. Still get decent ride, and better performance from the bike.

A 500-600 budget open up a big selection in the new Hybrid categories..... I never rode a Detour, but that Navigator is firmly entrenched in the comfort category, and doesn't do real well at longer distances, IMHO.
I own and ride a 2004 Trek Navigator and a 2005 Trek Multitrack. For long rides the Navigator is more comfortable. But at 68 I don't like a lot of pressure on my wrists as I get with the Multitrack.

My wife was riding a 2004 Trek Navigator with the step-through frame. When she needed a back up bike I bought her a step through frame Raleigh Detour 3.0. But after two years of use I would never buy another one. Compared to the Trek Navigator after 7,000 miles of use the Raleigh takes a good deal more maintenance. I have had to replace the complete rear wheel. The front wheel was a problem in that the rubber strip covering the spoke heads fell apart by the end of the first year. It came with Kenda tires and tubes. The tubes quickly failed where the schrader valve base patch was bonded to the tubes. Paper thin patches in the joint. The Raleigh cost a few dollars less than her Navigator but the Navigator has proven to be far more trouble free.
Old 06-10-10, 11:23 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Nice write up, Whiteknight!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.