Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you, as a 50+'r, have a bike you can just jump on and ride, and do you?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Do you, as a 50+'r, have a bike you can just jump on and ride, and do you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-11, 10:30 AM
Bionicycle
No I'm Not a Pirate!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As a 50+'r, do you have a bike for which you don't have to "get ready" to ride. I mean, slip on a pants leg clamp or wear regular shorts, put on the helmet and gloves, no special bike clothes or shoes, and just take off with about 2 minutes preparation - to do errands, cruise the neighborhood or whatever - and do you do that?

what bike?

what do you do when you ride like that?

My bikes are set up so that what I'm wearing is what I can ride in. I am an almost fanatical tire pressure checker though, and do kind of a pre-flight check of my bike before I head out. So, that takes a couple of minutes. But, mostly I try to keep the bikes "Minute Man" ready, so to speak. I'm not training for anything though, and view my bicycles as more transportation then exercise equipment, and most of my rides are between 5 and 10 miles at a time, so I think that makes a big difference.
Old 03-01-11, 10:58 AM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No. Get dressed to ride, pump up tires, attach trunk to rack, attach rear light, attach front and rear cyclometers (Garmins), attach waterbottles (longer rides), put on helmet and shoes (captain and stoker), turn on intercom, ride (unless we're taking the bike someplace). Doesn't really take all that long as we've gotten pretty fast at getting ready. I do have a single, but don't ride it much. Would never use prep time as an excuse to not ride.
Old 03-01-11, 11:29 AM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all my bikes have toe clips and straps ,that need a pair of sport shoes to fit inside them,and my "kit" is just a pair of garden variety sport pants with pockets for a wallet and cellphone.and a bright pullover/or jacket,,And high black socks to put the cuffs in to keep them out of the chain.rest of stuff is in small bags on the bikes.air up tires every few weeks..(unless they feel/look low)..helmet has gloves and clipon sunglasses in it..fill water bottle and it takes 2 mins to get ready..
Bud
Old 03-01-11, 11:54 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to but I put crank brothers egg beaters on the MTB and so now I don't. I never go anywhere without my helmet anyway.
Old 03-01-11, 03:20 PM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not owning a car, I have a couple - I use Shimano PD-A530 pedals which are SPD on one side, and platform on the other. My goto bikes are both drop bar, with a touring type geometry. One started life as a Bianchi San Remo touring bike, the other was a custom frame.
Old 03-01-11, 04:10 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I usually have a bike or two with regular pedals so I can ride at a moment's notice, but right now I'm down to just two road bikes and a mountain bike, all with clipless pedals. Until I fix the situation via N+1, I can throw on my SPD shoes or sandals and hop on the Casseroll without any other cycling gear. For a very short ride I can ride it with street shoes.
Old 03-01-11, 04:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
As a 50+'r, do you have a bike for which you don't have to "get ready" to ride. I mean, slip on a pants leg clamp or wear regular shorts, put on the helmet and gloves, no special bike clothes or shoes, and just take off with about 2 minutes preparation - to do errands, cruise the neighborhood or whatever...
No. The grocery store is only 0.9 miles away so I walk. The bank is inside the grocery store. The UPS store is next to the grocery store. If I have to go anywhere else I drive. Riding around here is not safe and I don't have a lock for my bikes. And all my bikes have clipless pedals.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 03-01-11 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 06:07 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Riding around here is not safe and I don't have a lock for my bikes. And all my bikes have clipless pedals.
Really? I wouldn't have thought that. I was in the Decatur area week before last (a class at EMC) and wasn't impressed that way. On a different note, fortunately I found Boudreaux's on Main Street.
Old 03-01-11, 06:14 PM
lphilpot
Saved by Grace

Bikes: Only one at a time; currently a 2012 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the reasons I asked the question about a "go to" bike is that I recently read in a thread here about an individual complaining that it took him 15 minutes to get ready to go for a ride (padded shorts, special shoes, jersey, special socks, etc.) - and that was discouraging him from riding...
I've seen (and experienced) the same thing in another hobby of mine, amateur astronomy. Starting out, there's just a small scope, red flashlight, little star chart and lotsa wide-eyed wonder at what can be seen. However, before long you gotta load up the big scope in the van/truck, setup the massive mount, drift-align the mount so it track accurately, setup your table, fire up the computer (along with batteries, etc.), get all the software going... and by then you're too tired to observe! That's why the old saying about telescopes applies equally well to bikes: "The best scope (bike) is the one you use. A cheap little scope (bike) you actually use is far better than a big expensive scope (bike) lurking in the closet (garage)."

Old 03-01-11, 06:27 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If I lived in town I'd have a casual riding bike to go to the store. But I'm on the side of a mountain, a 1600' climb from town. The road to my house has a 22% section. There's no casual riding here.
Old 03-01-11, 06:39 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
All of my bikes are set up to just get on and ride. If I had to do a lot of prep work to get ready I wouln't find cycling as enjoyable as I do.
Old 03-01-11, 08:21 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
The V-Rex has pedals with plain cages on one side; I can ride it easy enough with sneakers/hikers and a band around a pants-leg, if I'm not wearing shorts.

And do I jump on and ride? Not so much. I'll usually take just a few minutes to put on clothes and shoes to make the ride more fun. That's if I'm Going For A Ride and not Going to the Grocery Store.
Oh, yeah, and this bike doesn't lend itself to jumping on it - sitting down on it works better.

Last edited by JanMM; 03-01-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-01-11, 08:33 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Only one now but I am building a 3 speed commuter with platform / spd hybrid pedals. I pedal Ruby around just to cruise slowly and remember the bike I rode around the neighborhood in Germany.
Old 03-01-11, 09:09 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
what bike?

Yes, All my bikes. My Specialized Hard Rock set up as a utility bike. I run errands, go to meetings, pop it on the bus to go downtown, or just do a pleasure cruise on the River Trail. My recumbent is the same, but I have to add the heavy U-lock, if I plan on stopping. I use it more for recreational rides and long commuting.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 03-01-11, 10:14 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got a Specialized Sirrus last summer and installed platform/SPD pedals so I don't have to wear clipless shoes.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-01-11, 10:47 PM
ChiliDog

Bikes: Electra Townie crank forward, Specialized flat bar road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My signature pretty much sums up my philosophy about "suiting up" to go for a bike ride...

If I am going to spend a longer period out riding I do like to wear my padded lycra shorts under nylon shorts and my Shimano sandals while using platform pedals. I even own a few colorful jerseys for hot weather riding. Rarely wear them.

I used to do the "dress out" when I first got back into riding a road bike, but I got tired of the prep ritual and time it took.

I much prefer to just hop on either bike, but I always wear helmet and padded gloves.
Old 03-02-11, 06:49 AM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike's always ready to go. I don't bother with butt padding unless I plan to ride for at least an hour. My regular clothes are fine for errands, shopping etc., and I'm retired, so I'm always dressed for comfort, not style. Any shoes other than flipflops will do, since I'm still undecided about clipless pedals. I tried strapless toe clips, found they were more trouble than they were worth, and took them off. I'm casual about riding, but not about safety. I don't ride anywhere without a helmet, and if my plans include significant traffic or high-speed roads, I'll slip on a neon-colored shirt, jacket or vest.
Old 03-02-11, 07:40 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
1 standard hardtail MTB with semislick tires and platform pedals. I call it the multimedia bike. Go anywhere, anytime in any conditions. Sometimes if I'm not sure where I'm going to ride I take it on vacation.
Old 03-02-11, 09:18 AM
Altamont

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'cross bike

I keep a Kona Jake the Snake ready to go with fenders (Pacific Northwest, you know), lights (rear and front) a nice Tubus rack and small panniers. It has Crank Brothers mallet pedals so I don't have to clip in for short rides to the store or to Starbucks. I can coast in 10 minutes all the way to the area where the bank, grocery, dentist, Starbucks etc are, but its a hard climb home! the last 1/2 mile is a 300 foot climb. At the bottom of that climb though, is a nice park at a beautiful lake where I can watch kayak races, beach volleyball, or just plain relax. I have a second set of wheels with knobbies, in case I want to take to gravel trail instead of the road.

in my old age, I have become quite a daredevil. sometimes I wear a hat not a helmet. I do usually throw on a pair of old cycling shorts on under my pants though.
Old 03-02-11, 09:24 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
As a 50+'r, do you have a bike for which you don't have to "get ready" to ride. I mean, slip on a pants leg clamp or wear regular shorts, put on the helmet and gloves, no special bike clothes or shoes, and just take off with about 2 minutes preparation - to do errands, cruise the neighborhood or whatever - and do you do that?

what bike?

Duh...yea. Sorry. Didn't mean to be sarcastic. Well, actually I did.
Man, that's what riding is all about!!! The fun stuff!! I love to hop on my Trek 820 and take single-digit mileage rides around town. Go check out the park or the river. Ride to the cemetary on the bluffs. Go see so-and-so. Go get a candy bar.
My 820 is always ready to go. It lives just inside the garage door-on the floor, not in a rack. She wears studded tires in the winter and thick knobbies in the warm weather. She talks to me when I walk by and can't take her with me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
peewee2.jpg (19.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-02-11, 11:01 AM
marmot

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop, Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what bike?
Forgot that part. It's a Kona Dew Drop with fenders, front and rear racks, and mounts for front and back lights. One pannier, containing a lock, pump, tube, tools and rain jacket, stays on the bike all the time. I add a second pannier, and/or a rack trunk as needed for each outing. Right now, I'm confined to the plowed streets. Once the snow goes, there are endless trails, bike paths and rural roads nearby for spur-of-the-moment getaways. This bike handles all of them reasonably well.
Old 03-02-11, 11:16 AM
rnorris

Bikes: Marin Pt. Reyes, Gary Fisher HiFi Pro, Easy Racers Gold Rush recumbent, Cannondale F600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter/errand bikes have toe clips that I keep pretty loose for urban riding, so when I'm riding in shorts they're pretty much hop-on-and-go. My long wheelbase recumbent bike works better with clipless so that one requires a bit more of a countdown to launch. I have too many bikes already, but am dreaming about a minivelo with IGH and chainguard, that would be great for multimode commuting and just knocking around the neighborhood in any clothes and shoes I have on.
Old 03-02-11, 12:12 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts

what bike?

That's the only kind of riding I do. I ride a German Kettler commuter/trekking bike with a step-through frame. I don't need a pants clip or special clothing when I drive and I have the same expectations for my bike and cars, because they do the same job. The difference is that when I ride, I don't have to circle the block for fifteen minutes waiting for a parking space to open up. That's what got me into cycling.

I sometimes have preparation, though. In rain, snow, or cold weather, I need to put on my overcoat, outer pants, gloves, and boots, but that's still under 2 minutes, so I guess it qualifies.

I have a twenty mile round trip commute, plus errands on weekends.

Paul
Old 03-02-11, 12:27 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

what bike?

Yep, All of my bikes are "easy" riders that I hop on at any time and just go. From my trike to my cruiser I'm good to go all the time!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 03-02-11, 12:43 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
This is one reason I still use old school toeclips and straps on all of my bikes. If I am setting out on foot, I wear thick-soled running shoes. For cycling, I put on either thin-soled running shoes or cleatless cycling shoes, gloves, and a helmet w/ mirror. I always wear gloves and a helmet, even on short trips, and I have come to hate riding w/o the mirror.

The mountain bike and the Peugeot have rear racks, which make them very practical for shopping and other errands. The mountain bike's big plastic toeclips will accommodate almost any shoes I own.

All of my road bikes have drop bars, which I strongly prefer over all other types, and the mountain bike has handlebar end extensions which give me a similar handshake/rotation-neutral/palm-vertical grip position.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.