Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do people use rearview mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-17, 08:17 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a helmet mirror from Tigereye Home and find it to be very well made and sturdy.
Old 10-09-17, 08:17 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It is mounted to the end of the right side of my handlebar, and yes, it does stick out ... if I want it too.

In the photo it is folded in a bit so I could lean the bicycle. At times, I've also tilted it vertically so it doesn't stick out as much.

Same mirror on a different bicycle ...
Ah! I thought you'd found a cheat code to the universe or like the perfect major spot where the mirror's line of sight was between your leg and the top tube, under the seat, and over the rear rack....I was going to be massively impressed!!!!
Old 10-09-17, 08:18 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since I ride bents both trike and bike I use my mirrors all the time.
I use them on my recumbents. There is no easy way to glance back on one.
Old 10-09-17, 08:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,582 Times in 2,343 Posts
I do, but I forgot mine Saturday. been so used to riding on paved or dirt trails I forgot how useful they are, on the streets
Old 10-09-17, 09:21 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I say the same about mirrors on your glasses. I just can't seem to figure out how to turn my head to see what I want to see. But I have only tried the ones on the glasses. I should try one for the helmet. Don't know if there will be a difference or not.
I adjust the helmet/glasses mounted mirror so that the edge of my ear is visible in the edge of the mirror.

This provides a quick and easy frame of reference when you move your head.

I turn my head about 10 degree if I want to see directly behind.
Old 10-09-17, 09:40 AM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I commute. I have a take-a-look mirror and a handlebar mirror on each of my bikes...and an AirZound airhorn. If you're gonna "play" in traffic, don't "play around". See and be seen, be heard, be smart...be safe.
Huge +1 from me!
Best regards
Old 10-09-17, 09:42 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have in the past, but stopped doing so of late because my bike fell over a couple of times and destroyed my mirrors. I just shoulder check as much as I can for now.
Old 10-09-17, 10:18 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I adjust the helmet/glasses mounted mirror so that the edge of my ear is visible in the edge of the mirror.

Yup.😉
Old 10-09-17, 12:18 PM
davidallenxyz

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted on a motorbike (OK, scooter) for about a year before returning to pedal power a couple of months ago.

Could not imagine riding a motorbike without mirrors.

Took me a couple of days on the pedal bike before I stopped subconsciously checking them.

Haven't missed them since.

That's not to say I don't think people should use mirrors, just to say that I went from one vehicle where I needed them, to another where I don't.

On a bike, my ears give me most of my feedback about what is around me, and I never ride so fast that I don't have time to look over my shoulder before making a manoeuvre. And even if you have a mirror, it won't show you every angle, so you should be checking over your shoulder anyway.

Your ears are much less effective on a motorbike or in a car which is why you need to have more visual aids.
Old 10-09-17, 12:36 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cycloaptrgangr
You're still confused. Let me help you out again.

Here's some of the fear that prompted my factual response:

"I couldn't ride without it."

"not using one could make the non fred real dead."

"I feel naked in traffic without it."

"I'm too jumpy so I like to know what is around me at all times"

"I won’t ride without one"

"To physically look back each time is troublesome and dangerous especially if the road is narrow."

" IMHO it is likely riders who cause most accidents not drivers. " (this is really sad victim blaming but tied to this person's fearful outlook)

"What if you are driving along edge of road and see obstacle ahead, by the time you turn your head to see if it's safe to veer center, you could hit, as opposed to quick glance at mirror.
You are flying quiet downhill at 35mph and want to veer center, you certainly don't want to whip head around. Quick mirror glance and road is yours.
I don't look at it constantly, but makes riding more comfortable in many situations.

"It only takes one accident to end it or be permanently injured. This sport is dangerous even with sensible precautions."

"Killer cars

Every cyclist has to assume that every car on the road is out to kill them. "

"Having to turn your head constantly is a nuisance at best, and dangerous at worst. If you're going to ride safely in traffic you need to be aware of everything around your, not just in front of you. You can't do this without a mirror."
Would you be willing to remove all the mirrors on your car? If not, why not? You can just bend your neck around to check your sides and behind, so who needs mirrors on a car?

People in cars need mirrors for the same exact reason cyclists do. To know what is coming up behind them and to get accurate information on what's behind them, and to get that without taking eyes off the road ahead. It makes being on the road a safer prospect, regardless of what type of vehicle you are using.

A few events that have happened to me illustrate why a mirror is a needed safety device.

- 16 days after getting my bike an unexpected road closure forced me in a situation where I had to make a right turn and then immediately cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the left turn lane for the light only a block away. And it was late at night so I'm doing this while trying to judge traffic movement from headlights only. I don't know how I managed it without getting myself killed. But I bought a mirror the very next day and when they closed the road in the exact same spot a few weeks later, that mirror made getting to the left turn lane a lot easier.

[Note: Turning right wasn't possible since the light at that intersection was built only for straight both ways and the road on the left; the road on the right had a forced right turn only when leaving. No pedestrian crosswalks across the road I was forced onto anywhere. And if I didn't turn left right there, I'd have been forced onto an 8 lane highway with heavy and fast traffic.]

- Just a few days ago I needed to make a left turn and would have to cross over one lane to get to the left turn lane. There was someone behind me, traffic had been heavy enough that I hadn't been able to enter the left straight lane earlier. The turn lane had already started and I only had 20 or so feet remaining of turn lane before the light. (State law says I can get into the left straight lane up to 100 feet before the turn lane.) The truck behind me wasn't jumping into the lane, so I signaled for a few seconds and then started left. I could watch him in my mirror as I went left and after I signaled and started left he decided to pass. Because I could see him in my mirror without taking my eyes off the road I was able to go back right and avoid a collision. And with the mirror I could also see that he went back to the right as well, which was the information I needed to know it was safe to get to the left turn lane at that exact moment.

- A couple of weeks ago approaching that same left I had three cars behind me. Two were signaling. I watched them in my mirror because I was going to wait for all three to go before going over. And they didn't. My guess is that they were used to me being on the road and knew exactly where I would turn off and wanted to turn right farther down, because when I took advantage of their generous nature and crossed over, all three stayed right.

- And finally the freaky one. I was on the bike path paralleling a road and was approaching a spot where a crossroad used to exist or is planned to eventually exist because the start of it is there. It's the local speed trap, so I checked my mirror before crossing it to make sure no cop car was moving in the dedicated right turn lane. (Yes, a nonexistent road has a dedicated turn lane.) I did see a car in that turn lane so I stopped before entering the laughable crosswalk. The car was not a cop car, it stopped beside me and the passenger rolled down his window and stared at me. It was unnerving and since the car was stopped I started moving very quickly. There's more that happened, some really scary stuff, but getting to the point I was thankful for my mirror for two reasons. One, I saw them in the turn lane and me stopping in the bike lane because I saw them took away opportunity to hit me. Two, after the car lost sight of me I was glad I could constantly check my mirror during the final leg home to make sure they didn't find me again.
Old 10-09-17, 12:38 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I love my helmet mounted mirror. I couldn't ride without it. If you do a lot of riding in traffic it's indispensable. I have more confidence to ride out further from the curb as I can see what's behind me. Consequently I get a lot fewer close passes. I can get into a left turn lane more easily as I scan the traffic from behind.

If you're riding on trails all the time you probably don't need a mirror.
I agree 100% with everything you just said.
Old 10-09-17, 12:43 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
So much fear.
I guess I struck a nerve.
I think the nerve was struck was yours. I don't really care if one doesn't use one, in fact only half my bikes have them. I don't get on anti-mirror (or helmet, or insert random safety device here) threads and bash them, you feeling the need to do so certainly indicates someone who has been triggered.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I can't stand the handlebar mirrors on drop bars because they only work if you're in the exact right position that you've adjusted them for. But this thread spurred me to replace my lost wearable mirror - I've duck-taped one onto my helmet visor.
Is that just a random piece of mirror, or something specific that was just taped in place? That looks like something that could handle my less than delicate handling of my helmet.
Old 10-09-17, 02:08 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was gonna let this one go without saying anything until the "if you don't use a mirror you are going to die" crowd came in. Like religion - it helps to keep your preaching to yourself. Stop trying to proselytize using fear.
I used one for awhile, and sold it with the bike and never cared to get another, I never found it valuable.
Old 10-09-17, 02:41 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Stop trying to proselytize using fear.
Because that is worse than folks dissuading using ignorance?
Old 10-09-17, 02:46 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Because that is worse than folks dissuading using ignorance?
Far worse. No one is saying you shouldn't use a mirror, just that *they* don't use one. Plenty are chiming in with rather rude and annoying comments akin to "if you don't use one, you will die, are stupid, etc" like they are the only voice that matters.
Use your mirror if you like it, but quit talking down to everyone else.
Old 10-09-17, 03:07 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
Far worse. No one is saying you shouldn't use a mirror, just that *they* don't use one.
Well, except for those saying those who use them must live in fear, or must be novices. No, no one is saying that one shouldn't use them directly, they are just insinuating that those who do aren't as "good" as those who do not.

As to the rest, there are a lot of idiots on the road that many of us would like to see. Unless you are one of them, why do you take that as being talked down to?
Old 10-09-17, 03:08 PM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Since I wear glasses, the Take A Look works for me. I feel much more comfortable riding with one; I feel I have progressed as a bike commuter faster because of the mirror.

With most cars having running day lights, I get a quick sense of what's coming. My ears are better trained, because when I hear something out of the ordinary, I look back.

This helped me relax, which lead to more riding, in more situations, which of course lead to more learning.

It did take more than a week to get used to it, and to build the habit of scanning periodically.
Old 10-09-17, 04:08 PM
cycloaptrgangr

Bikes: A matte black bike, a matte black/gloss silver bike

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Would you be willing to remove all the mirrors on your car? If not, why not? You can just bend your neck around to check your sides and behind, so who needs mirrors on a car?

~snip~(a few stories relating riding situations that can certainly be done, and are done regularly, without a mirror)
Bad analogy. Mirrors are required by law.
Old 10-09-17, 05:19 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Is that just a random piece of mirror, or something specific that was just taped in place? That looks like something that could handle my less than delicate handling of my helmet.
Random piece that I'd glued a block and wire to at some time. Too small really, which is why I didn't fabricate a holder of some kind.
Old 10-09-17, 07:51 PM
jefnvk

Your whining seems to be very hypocritical considering your "triggered" bit.

You're confusing being "triggered" with amusement on my part.
Ah, Figured as much, but I like to give people the benefit.

Me triggered? I'm guessing you missed the bit where half my bikes don't have them. I think it is ridiculous when safety devices are being discussed, the discussion has to be transferred to who is most macho, pro looking, or fearless. I read 2-3 articles a week about a cyclist in Michigan being hit by a car, the arguments against mirrors really have no weight compared to their pros in the type of riding 99.5% of folks here do.

Call me fearful all you want, I'd rather not be one of those stories. It really says more about you than me. I can take idiots laughing at my face because I wear a face mask at beer league hockey, what an internet thinks about me for using a mirror is way down my list of concerns.

Last edited by BillyD; 10-10-17 at 03:41 PM. Reason: troll remarks removed.
Old 10-09-17, 07:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Regarding shoulder checking ...

I do shoulder check, of course, but old age and issues with my shoulders makes shoulder checking a bit of an effort. If I can check my mirror before a lane change to get an idea of what I'm dealing with in the way of traffic, and then shoulder check as the last step ... that's a lot more comfortable.
Old 10-09-17, 07:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
Broke mine and rode home without it tonight as the JB weld set. I didn't realize just how much I use it on an urban rush hour commute on busy streets. I was constantly looking down where it should have been.
Old 10-09-17, 08:01 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
No blind spot in my helmet mirror either
Old 10-10-17, 02:55 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have used a helmet mirror for decades. I depend on it. You can use it to scan and look up and down and left and right. It doesn't vibrate there and works very well. I can ride taking the lane with more confidence and am more prepared to move in traffic with it on.
Old 10-10-17, 03:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Regarding shoulder checking ...

I do shoulder check, of course, but old age and issues with my shoulders makes shoulder checking a bit of an effort. If I can check my mirror before a lane change to get an idea of what I'm dealing with in the way of traffic, and then shoulder check as the last step ... that's a lot more comfortable.
Machka, I find it amusing that you say you shoulder check in your post immediately after the post about ice hockey. Trying to picture you lacing on a pair of hockey skates and checking someone into the boards!

Is that a tarantula in your pic? Fun story - driving out of Texas' Big Bend park many years ago - going ~60mph, I came upon a big tarantula I was sure I flattened. Bothered me so much I stopped and we went back to see. Road was clean. Then we saw the spider struggling to climb over the sparse grass at the road edge. (Apparently, the road concentrated the very sparse rainwater just enough to get a few lawn size blades to grow. It was just as obvious that tarantulas have not skills dealing with such grass that exists nowhere else.) The big spider was quite aware these two big humans were standing over him and he was going as fast as he could to get to firm ground, but he had to do it one leg at a time, find a foothold on that blade, the pick up another leg and do the same. With 8 of them it was a slow process. After minutes, he was finally down on hard Texas desert. Two jumps and he was 25 feet away!

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.