Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

How often are you in the hoods vs drops?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18, 01:25 AM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

the answer may vary given different conditions, terrain, situation, so please elaborate
Old 06-30-18, 04:50 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
You're absolutely correct, it depends.

Whatever feels comfortable is the number one determinant (for me). I commute about 15km each way here in Germany, mixed surface, lots of hills, and ride a ton of kms in addition to my commute route just because I have a gravel bike, I'm guessing I've ridden 40000 km of gravel in the last 3 years, between here and the DC area. But, to make things a little easier, my rules of thumb: (1) only use the drops on paved downhills, and gravel that I know (that's smoother, naturally anything rough or washboarded out is just too much vibration to safely ride in the drops); (2) hoods if I know the section will require braking and it's bumpy (preferring to ride the hoods rather than reposition my hands for braking); and (3) bar tops most of the time (to include climbing, gravel or paved). And, cobblestones...good luck, you can ride 'em fast, but you gotta be a ****** as they say auf Deutsch.
Old 06-30-18, 10:21 AM
qbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downhills headwinds drops everywhere else hoods.
Old 06-30-18, 06:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,481 Times in 4,184 Posts
25% drops
50% hoods
25% ramps and tops
Old 06-30-18, 06:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How good is your bike fit? I see tons of riders out there that compromise their bike fit to the point of making the drops all but unusable....drops too low for their back flexibility, and bars rotated high to raise the hoods/brifters.

I put aerobars on my gravel rig due to our lovely plains headwinds out here. If I'm on the open road and away from folks...aerobars is more where I tend to be what with having to fight headwind. If the course is technical or crosswindy--the drops. Hoods/tops get rotated through to give the other positions a break or if I'm just plain pooped.
Old 06-30-18, 06:43 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
65/35 but depends on the ride. Downhills yes, headwinds yes, also fast flats.
Old 06-30-18, 07:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
25% drops
50% hoods
25% ramps and tops
That sounds about right. Though I think I spend more time on the tops on rougher stuff, and more time in the drops on pavement. So it evens out.

On loose/rough surfaces, it's about comfort or control. Out on the pavement, it's more about speed and efficiency.
Old 07-01-18, 03:32 AM
Facanh

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When riding offroad I use the drops if the terrain is super steep and/or very rough. On asphalt I tend to use it on big downhills, or flats when there is a headwind.

I would like to use the drops more in offroad situations since I have more control over the bike but I need to work on my flexibility.

Most of the time i'm on the hoods, but on long mellow climbs I use the tops a lot to save my neck.

Last edited by Facanh; 07-01-18 at 04:22 AM.
Old 07-01-18, 09:12 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
drops on the downhills and rollers. hoods and tops when i get bored or need to just change position. i'll climb on the drops if i'm feeling "it" that day.
Old 07-02-18, 11:50 AM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I ride my gravel/cross bike on singletrack quite a bit. I'm still relatively new to this style of riding, and was surprised (coming from a mtb with a pretty relaxed riding position) how quickly I took to ripping singletrack, including descents, in the drops. I love it, and the control it offers.
Anyhow, I'm about 80/20 hoods/drops I guess overall. Very rarely go to the tops, usually only on pavement.
Old 07-05-18, 06:24 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
About 50% in the drops.
Old 07-05-18, 06:59 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Drops almost exclusively. Long story...
There may be a difference in your body comfort and your confidence comfort. I can get a setup where my body is very comfortable in the hoods. Comfortable meaning I could ride maybe 75 miles in a day on gravel or road with some normal hand position changes through the day and come out feeling good at the end. I had that in my gravel bike. The issue was I was not confident in that comfortable position on anything but smooth road. I tried for almost a year to gain confidence on easy trails, bumpy grass, small bunny hopping over uneven surfaces, down hills, in the loose and uneven and some singletrack.. I just wasn't getting it. There were places I should be able to ride this bike but couldn't get confidence riding in the hoods. Stuff I could easily breeze though even in my cheap old hybrid. In the drops were slightly better for confidence but not enough. One the brakes were not as easy to reach and my bars were just too narrow for the control I wanted and for some reason my knees didn't like the drops. I concentrated on making the drop experience better. I think I did that and now I am confident and comfortable in the drops. Lack of suspension and traction is now my limit on what I can do, not my confidence and control. It took getting some wider flared bars and moving my hoods slightly forward and tweaking my stem length and height at the expense of a slight decline in hood comfort. mainly wrists long term because of a hood position dip. That's fine because my drop position is just as comfortable overall as my previous hood position and I am much more confident in the lower wider stance. I can and still do use the hoods but it is mainly just for a break and a change of pace. Overall my experience has changed like night to day on my gravel bike. I can and still do that 75 mile day in gravel or road but now almost exclusively in the drops. Any aero advantage is a welcomed bonus.

To get the one ultimate hood and drop position for me would require a radical change in hood and paddle shape.

Last edited by u235; 07-05-18 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-05-18, 07:41 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
On a 54-miler yesterday, I believe I was only on the drops twice, both for steep descents. On the other hand, a speed demon I am not.
Old 07-06-18, 03:56 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
the answer may vary given different conditions, terrain, situation, so please elaborate
60 - 40 drops but as has been said depends in terrain. Single track in drops road when pounding but actually ride top bar not hoods as i have old school levers
Old 07-08-18, 08:37 PM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Downwind on the hoods or tops or the bent part of the top before the hood.
Into the wind, that's when I'm in the drops. And usually the flat at the bottom because I'm spent.
Old 07-10-18, 08:29 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been a long time since I owned a drop bar bike. So long ago that 10 speeds (as in 2x5) was still the thing and there were no hoods on the brake levers. I rode on the tops of the bars almost all the time and in the drops only when I was facing a ferocious headwind. My current bike came with a flat bar that I replaced with a Jones Loop H Bar after some experimenting with others. It offers a range of hand positions but the one I ride in 70% of the time is probably equivalent to riding on the hoods. I can get a more drop like riding posture with my hands on the most forward part of the loop and I use that less than 10%, when facing a headwind. I can get a very upright position with my hands on the grips at the ends of the bars and that is where I ride about 20-25% of the time. That position is good for a change of pace on long rides to relieve hand discomfort and it gives you excellent steering control on loose/soft surfaces. I suppose that is somewhat like riding on the tops of the bars in terms of posture but not for steering control.

I think I am about to buy a drop bar gravel bike so I expect to get re-acquainted with drop bars soon. It will have flared drops so on the drops will be the preferred position for the really loose/soft stuff as well as for fighting headwinds. I'll probably spend most of my time on the hoods. I don't know what I will do when I want to "sit up"....
Old 07-10-18, 08:56 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by khutch
... I don't know what I will do when I want to "sit up"....
Consider putting on the cross-country levers; those levers that sit on the tops with clamps on or beside the center sleeve of the bars. You will see no effect on your normal braking and they are first class stoppers (unlike the "extension levers" of cheap bikes of the past). (Tektro and others make them.)

Ben
Old 07-10-18, 08:58 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Consider putting on the cross-country levers; those levers that sit on the tops with clamps on or beside the center sleeve of the bars. You will see no effect on your normal braking and they are first class stoppers (unlike the "extension levers" of cheap bikes of the past). (Tektro and others make them.)

Ben
Only catch, is that interrupter levers limit you to cable-actuated brakes.
Old 07-10-18, 09:03 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

I set all my bikes up to be #1 comfortable in the drops. In other words, the place I can spend all day, even if I am very tired - so I am incouraged to use them late in the day when the road gets sketchy or I have to go upwind. My legs appreciate the former, fewer crashes happen with the latter.

Wind is a large factor in how much I use the drops. Yes, I am more areo with my palms on the brake hoods and my forearms on the bars, but I am not as close to the brakes and do not have as secure a grip should I hit anything. Wind at my back and all positions work. (Life is good!)

Ben
Old 07-10-18, 09:05 AM
79pmooney

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Only catch, is that interrupter levers limit you to cable-actuated brakes.
No, they have no effect whatsoever. When you are using the regular levers, the only change is that you have another "stop" on the bike for your cable housing. Done cleanly, you will never feel it.

Ben
Old 07-10-18, 09:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

No, they have no effect whatsoever. When you are using the regular levers, the only change is that you have another "stop" on the bike for your cable housing. Done cleanly, you will never feel it.

Ben
Not my point. Interrupter levers only work with cable-pull brakes, not hydraulics.
Old 07-15-18, 06:34 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I set all my bikes up to be #1 comfortable in the drops. In other words, the place I can spend all day, even if I am very tired - so I am incouraged to use them late in the day when the road gets sketchy or I have to go upwind. My legs appreciate the former, fewer crashes happen with the latter.

Wind is a large factor in how much I use the drops. Yes, I am more areo with my palms on the brake hoods and my forearms on the bars, but I am not as close to the brakes and do not have as secure a grip should I hit anything. Wind at my back and all positions work. (Life is good!)

Ben
After a lot of trial and error, I have found this to be the best way for me. My problem had been going by the Lemond bike sizing formula, which had me (at 5'10") on a 53-54 cm frame. I balked when I first saw this figure, but still tried for probably 20 years to make the small frames fit me. But they never felt right, and getting into the drops on a small bike can be extremely uncomfortable, making them all but unusable except on fast descents.

Recently I have been riding frames in the 56-58 cm range, and loving it. Now I can easily set up a bike so the drops are the most comfortable position, and I use them almost exclusively now, on pavement and gravel both. These days, I'm in the drops probably 85% of the time. The drops are great for sprinting when you're feeling good that day, they also support you extremely well at the other end of the energy spectrum, when you're so tired you can barely hold yourself up. When my legs are completely fried, properly set-up drops feel almost like relaxing in a recliner. And very stable too.

So glad I gave up on the tiny frames. While Lemond was a great sportsman and role model, and definitely the best American rider of his generation, his sizing formula did not work well for me at all.
Old 07-17-18, 08:10 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
75%+ drops. It's a road bike so that's the main handlebar position. Hoods for harder climbs or when tired, I guess 20%. Tops are for when I'm really tired and resting, 5% or so.
Old 07-17-18, 09:41 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
75%+ drops. It's a road bike so that's the main handlebar position. Hoods for harder climbs or when tired, I guess 20%. Tops are for when I'm really tired and resting, 5% or so.
thats not true for any modern road bike/groupset. The hoods are the main position on a modern road bike. Setting up the drops as comfortable results in not having an aggressive enough position for the most aero. This is fine for any a gravel bike where it matters less. My road and gravel bike have a 2" difference in saddle to bar drop since the primary position is fundamentally different for different objectives.
Old 07-17-18, 09:45 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
Only is heavy headwinds cruising downhill most of the time on the hoods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.