Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Transport ?s - Flight to Spain, Train to France, One-Way Ride to Italy, Flight Back

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Transport ?s - Flight to Spain, Train to France, One-Way Ride to Italy, Flight Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 07:50 AM
helouwn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is my first one-way bike tour, and I’ve run into some transportation / shipping issues related to the bike bag.

I’ll be flying from the USA to Barcelona (British Air, which doesn’t charge extra to check the bike), spending a couple of non-riding days there, taking the high-speed train to Marseille (Ave), riding from from Marseille to Siena, Italy, and flying back to the USA.

I had initially planned check my bike in an Evoc soft case from the USA to Barcelona, leave it packed in Barcelona, take it on the Ave to Marseille in the bag (I’m told it has to be in a bag on the Ave), ship the bag from Marseille to Siena, pick it up after the ride, pack up the bike, and fly back. I just found out that shipping the bag from Marseille to Siena will cost 285 Euros. At that price, I’m getting close to the price of buying another bag in Siena for the flight home.

I want to ride my own bike (which eliminates buying / renting one there). And I want to be sure my bike is protected. That said, I want to do this as cost effectively as possible. Does anyone have any advice on transportation of either the bike or bike bag?

This forum is always such a huge help. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Will

Old 03-20-19, 07:56 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by helouwn
This is my first one-way bike tour, and I’ve run into some transportation / shipping issues related to the bike bag.

I’ll be flying from the USA to Barcelona (British Air, which doesn’t charge extra to check the bike), spending a couple of non-riding days there, taking the high-speed train to Marseille (Ave), riding from from Marseille to Siena, Italy, and flying back to the USA.

I had initially planned check my bike in an Evoc soft case from the USA to Barcelona, leave it packed in Barcelona, take it on the Ave to Marseille in the bag (I’m told it has to be in a bag on the Ave), ship the bag from Marseille to Siena, pick it up after the ride, pack up the bike, and fly back. I just found out that shipping the bag from Marseille to Siena will cost 285 Euros. At that price, I’m getting close to the price of buying another bag in Siena for the flight home.

I want to ride my own bike (which eliminates buying / renting one there). And I want to be sure my bike is protected. That said, I want to do this as cost effectively as possible. Does anyone have any advice on transportation of either the bike or bike bag?

This forum is always such a huge help. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Will

hi not sure how much time you have to figure everything out, but check out facebook groups for the cities you want to ship to. i live in the netherlands and constantly see some owner operated companies offering shipping to southern european countries. they basically pack up a a truck with everyone's stuff and ride to destination dropping off things on the way. might be able to find something similar through there. or you can try to see if bus travel companies like flixbus will transport your case.
Old 03-20-19, 07:59 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
You could pack it in a cardboard box. Throw it away in Marseille and pick up a new box in Sienna.
Old 03-20-19, 08:02 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
Why is shipping your bike bag so expensive? Have you checked the post office for shipping? Is there something unusual about your bike bag that makes it so expensive to ship?

I fly my folding BIke Friday in a good-sized suitcase that I ship to my destination. Last time, I used the Dutch post office to send it to Germany, it cost me about €37 (2017).
Old 03-20-19, 08:05 AM
helouwn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
Why is shipping your bike bag so expensive? Have you checked the post office for shipping? Is there something unusual about your bike bag that makes it so expensive to ship?

I fly my folding BIke Friday in a good-sized suitcase that I ship to my destination. Last time, I used the Dutch post office to send it to Germany, it cost me about €37 (2017).
Compacted to it’s smallest, it’s 51”x12”x15”. The length of it is what is causing the expense (and this is just wrapping it in plastic for shipping without a box). I received quotes from UPS and DHL and €285 is the cheaper of the two.
Old 03-20-19, 08:11 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts

Compacted to it’s smallest, it’s 51”x12”x15”. The length of it is what is causing the expense (and this is just wrapping it in plastic for shipping without a box). I received quotes from UPS and DHL and €285 is the cheaper of the two.
stay away from both always ridiculous pricing, local mail should be much cheaper, and again try and search out independent trucking services.
Old 03-20-19, 12:48 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

That is your problem., They are going to charge air prices. Especially if you are trying to get a quote from home. Do it with the post office. My suggestion would be to contact a local warmshowers host to help you out with local pricing and shipping details.
Old 03-20-19, 01:03 PM
helouwn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I had never heard of warmshowers before that post. I will check it out and see if I can't get some more information.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-19, 02:38 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
https://www.warmshowers.org/
Old 03-20-19, 03:41 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
We've done a few open jaws, involving trains and planes. We travel with padded flight bags precisely for these situations. These bags can be rolled to roughly the size of a (large) sleeping bag. We tie them to the top of our rear rack. Not ideal, but works.

The alternative might be to box your bike -> Barcelona. Bring a Rinko bag to travel by train (rolls to the size of a water bottle; requires "aggressive" disassembling -- pedals, handlebars, both wheels, both racks, maybe the fork as well). On the return leg, you may want to hunt for a box, or simply use a transparent bag, often sold at the airport or provided by the airline, or use your Rinko (danger would be that because your bike is hidden by the opaque bag, handling may not be what you hope for.

Rigid or semi rigid containers are probably necessary for performance bikes but a major PITA otherwise.

Padded bags, in our experience, do a very decent job, are relatively inexpensive, easy to leave in storage for loops if your hotel/host is minimally cooperative, and totally appropriate for open jaws, when storage is not an option (and forwarding a significant annoyance).

Have a fun trip. Nice countryside you're about to visit.
Old 03-21-19, 04:53 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
We have done open jaw with boxes within France twice. Once we shipped from Paris to Nice via an over-the-road trucking company, once from Paris to Marseille via some similar company. I think the cost each time was something like 30 to 50 Euro total for two boxes. I don't remember the shipping companies, but do remember we spent a day walking the box (with wheels) to the shipping depot from our hotel. My wife's pretty patient with me. So there can be a time cost associated with this open jaw freight thing . . . Having someone there who can give advice would be great, that's for sure. Oh, and you need to arrange ahead of time with the hotel that'll receive the boxes that it's ok to store them at the hotel. We've never had anyone turn us down on that. Stored some boxes for a month at the airport Novotel in Munich last fall.

Last edited by randallr; 03-21-19 at 04:56 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-22-19, 09:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Perhaps a couple Eurail passes , bought in the states will save you money, ?
being days of time based you can get on and off in various places along the way..