Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Shorts Recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 07:40 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts

I have bought the Louis Garneau Tour Cycling Shorts and the Pearl Izumi Peleton ( I believe) Cycling Shorts, two highly recommended brands, and the Pad was so clunky and unbearable I sent them both back, one at my expense. Anyone want to weigh in on Aerotech Designs....Thanks, mjac

Okay lets edit this, any brand you would recommend. I am frustrated here and felt like I paid for a name. Do not want to do that again.

Last edited by mjac; 02-01-20 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 08:12 AM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had some Aerotech a few years ago, so I can't really recall what I thought of them. Last season I bought shorts from https://www.theblackbibs.com and found them to be nice quality and comfortable.
Old 02-01-20, 08:23 AM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Another vote for the Black Bibs brand, although not answering your question about Aerotech I know. Next to Assos, they are the most comfortable bibs for me, and easily 1/4 the price.
Old 02-01-20, 08:26 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I've been riding Aerotech Pro series exclusively for about 10 years now. My average ride is 40-50 miles with an annual mileage of 5K. I'd say that was an endorsement.
Old 02-01-20, 09:20 AM
mjac

Winna

Originally Posted by etw
I had some Aerotech a few years ago, so I can't really recall what I thought of them. Last season I bought shorts from https://www.theblackbibs.com and found them to be nice quality and comfortable.
Originally Posted by But its me
Another vote for the Black Bibs brand, although not answering your question about Aerotech I know. Next to Assos, they are the most comfortable bibs for me, and easily 1/4 the price.
I have to look into this a little more, but this is exactly what I was looking for, no brand labeling, no hype, no marketing, no 300 styles, just a well built,functional piece of apparel, no BS. I like their philosophy a lot if it is honest. I hope so. I am so sick and tired of name build up and paying for a name as part of some style. I may give them a try just based on that. But I respect Aerotech Designs and there pads look well designed. Thanks to both of you for introducing me to them and backing each other up. I have never heard of them.I want to help companies like this, no marketing, just solid, functional products...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-01-20, 09:22 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I have bought the Louis Garneau Tour Cycling Shorts and the Pearl Izumi Peleton ( I believe) Cycling Shorts, two highly recommended brands, and the Pad was so clunky and unbearable I sent them both back, one at my expense. Anyone want to weigh in on Aerotech Designs....Thanks, mjac
I like Areotech Designs touring cycling shorts. I have a couple of pairs. One pair is close to two years old and still fits and rides like new. I have not tried their other models.

Not sure what you mean by clunky and unbearable though. The chamois is thick and cushioning across contact areas. It’s also a little wide yet very flexible through the crouch. The way they fit and ride tends to allow ample crouch room as I ride. So while they don’t mash that area, they create enough slack in that area that the shorts could catch on the saddle horn if not careful. Just something to pay attention to, and depending on physic they may fit you differently anyway. The legs are on the longer side and the openings stay in place very well. The pull-loop drawstring works well and stays put when tucked inside at the top of the shorts I can’t feel it. Compression throughout is good and snug without being restrictive at the hips. The net side pockets are nice to have.

Just my two-cents worth. Others may differ. Again, I like and use them. They are currently my go-to shorts.

Happy cycling!
Old 02-01-20, 09:30 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by coupster
I've been riding Aerotech Pro series exclusively for about 10 years now. My average ride is 40-50 miles with an annual mileage of 5K. I'd say that was an endorsement.
I lIke AeroTech Designs but I had trouble picking out a style, a lot of marketing hype. You like the Pro Series? That is where I might start. Their Pads seem very well designed, did you find this to be the case. Obviously so if you have been doing them for 10 years. They came out with multi layered, multi density pad called their Racing Pad they advertise on their website, it is about medium thickness, but they do not have a short yet with it in it. They said they only sell it as a replacement pad right now. People actually take out a worn pad and pay to have another pad sewn in?...Thanks, mjac
Old 02-01-20, 09:50 AM
mjac

Clunky

Originally Posted by Sapperc
I like Areotech Designs touring cycling shorts. I have a couple of pairs. One pair is close to two years old and still fits and rides like new. I have not tried their other models.

Not sure what you mean by clunky and unbearable though. The chamois is thick and cushioning across contact areas. It’s also a little wide yet very flexible through the crouch. The way they fit and ride tends to allow ample crouch room as I ride. So while they don’t mash that area, they create enough slack in that area that the shorts could catch on the saddle horn if not careful. Just something to pay attention to, and depending on physic they may fit you differently anyway. The legs are on the longer side and the openings stay in place very well. The pull-loop drawstring works well and stays put when tucked inside at the top of the shorts I can’t feel it. Compression throughout is good and snug without being restrictive at the hips. The net side pockets are nice to have.

Just my two-cents worth. Others may differ. Again, I like and use them. They are currently my go-to shorts.

Happy cycling!
Man, I am telling you the pad in these two shorts were like a uncontoured slab of cardboard that poked you in both your thighs. The Garneau was described as a thin Tri Sport pad in the description. If you tried to run in those shorts you would lacerate you thighs. I like the way the designs look on the AeroTech pads. (look at comment above about Race Pad) You like them? I do not want to go through that experience again and have to send shorts back.
Old 02-01-20, 10:04 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I like the black bibs and have 2. But many comments i've read about them mostly complain about the pad.
Just a caution because the pad is what most folks complain about in any short/bib.
Too thick, too thin, too hard, wrong shape, etc....

edit: The last Pearl Izumi shorts i bought had a large, stiff pad.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-01-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-01-20, 10:49 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I like the black bibs and have 2. But many comments i've read about them mostly complain about the pad.
Just a caution because the pad is what most folks complain about in any short/bib.
Too thick, too thin, too hard, wrong shape, etc....

edit: The last Pearl Izumi shorts i bought had a large, stiff pad.
That is what I am mostly scared of and I mean scared and trying to avoid. The fabric and fit in the Pearl Izumi and Louis Garneau were great but the pads were horrendous. That is why I am looking at AeroTech Designs. The design of their pads, I believe they come from Italy, seems very sophisticated. That is why I want to get other people's opinion before I make another mistake. How do you like the pad in the Black Bibs? I don't care how great the fabric is or how great the fit is, if the pad is bad it is a deal killer...Thanks, mjac
Old 02-01-20, 11:48 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I lIke AeroTech Designs but I had trouble picking out a style, a lot of marketing hype. You like the Pro Series? That is where I might start. Their Pads seem very well designed, did you find this to be the case. Obviously so if you have been doing them for 10 years. ...Thanks, mjac
Be forewarned, the Pro chamois has NO padding, just the fabric for anti-chafe not additional comfort. It provides a soft absorbent fabric layer between my butt and the saddle. I also ride a classic Fizik Arrione which has limited padding, guess you could say I'm a hard as*. Their return policy always was pretty good.
Old 02-01-20, 12:14 PM
mjac

Hard

Originally Posted by coupster
Be forewarned, the Pro chamois has NO padding, just the fabric for anti-chafe not additional comfort. It provides a soft absorbent fabric layer between my butt and the saddle. I also ride a classic Fizik Arrione which has limited padding, guess you could say I'm a hard as*. Their return policy always was pretty good.
Yeah I have seen people say they like them because they have styles with thin pads, or in your case no padding, because they don't like a large pad that feels like a diaper. Fifty miles and no padding, yeah, I think that qualifies you as a hard as*...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-01-20, 05:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

The pad in the black bibs has a minimal bit of softness at sit bones and while wider than some, does not chafe inner upper thighs on me.

But all this is all So Very Subjective as to be near meaningless. At least with black bibs your $$$ risk is minimal.
Old 02-01-20, 07:36 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Wildwood
The pad in the black bibs has a minimal bit of softness at sit bones and while wider than some, does not chafe inner upper thighs on me.

But all this is all So Very Subjective as to be near meaningless. At least with black bibs your $$$ risk is minimal.
I like the company's stated philosophy but I want a state of the art pad. If that is AeroTech Design fine. If Black Bib has that I will buy from them because I like the Company and its no nonsense approach. But they must have a good pad...mjac
Old 02-01-20, 07:51 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

feed back your impressions of your purchase on this thread after a few rides.

good luck
Old 02-01-20, 08:04 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a pair of Aero Tech Pro shorts with than tan/black pad. It's very low loft and density, mostly to absorb sweat and reduce abrasion. I wear 'em only with a padded saddle or as underwear under my jeans or baggy shorts.

I've worn everything from old school wool with leather chamois to Pearl Izumi and Black Bibs, but the most comfortable pads I've found are the Dupont CoolMax 3D and 4D pads used in the bargain priced shorts and bibs from Przwelski and Spotti (same company, different marques). But I've lost 25 lbs since I bought those Aero Tech Pro shorts in 2015. Now, with less natural padding on my butt, I need a little extra in the shorts. The CoolMax pads look and feel diaper thick, but dang... they're comfy for all day rides on rough roads, or marathon indoor trainer sessions. Best I've worn for wicking sweat (or rain), smooth surface to avoid abrasion, easy to clean. Much better than the pads used by Black Bibs or Pearl Izumi.

Check 'em out on Amazon. They range from as little as $15 for basic shorts to $30 for bibs, including some with capri length legs just below the knee -- so I don't need separate knee warmers in cool weather. Can't beat the value.
Old 02-01-20, 10:08 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
This is relatively more expensive but the comfiest bib I have ever worm Not quite rapha price but still $160

https://buckyrides.com/product-revie...ng-bib-shorts/

- james
Old 02-01-20, 10:59 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by canklecat
I have a pair of Aero Tech Pro shorts with than tan/black pad. It's very low loft and density, mostly to absorb sweat and reduce abrasion. I wear 'em only with a padded saddle or as underwear under my jeans or baggy shorts.

I've worn everything from old school wool with leather chamois to Pearl Izumi and Black Bibs, but the most comfortable pads I've found are the Dupont CoolMax 3D and 4D pads used in the bargain priced shorts and bibs from Przwelski and Spotti (same company, different marques). But I've lost 25 lbs since I bought those Aero Tech Pro shorts in 2015. Now, with less natural padding on my butt, I need a little extra in the shorts. The CoolMax pads look and feel diaper thick, but dang... they're comfy for all day rides on rough roads, or marathon indoor trainer sessions. Best I've worn for wicking sweat (or rain), smooth surface to avoid abrasion, easy to clean. Much better than the pads used by Black Bibs or Pearl Izumi.

Check 'em out on Amazon. They range from as little as $15 for basic shorts to $30 for bibs, including some with capri length legs just below the knee -- so I don't need separate knee warmers in cool weather. Can't beat the value.
I am looking for the well built short that has the best Pad. From what you know, what is the best Pad, the Pad in AeroTech Designs or the Pad in the Przwelski and Spotti? I have learned not to get hung up on names, they don't mean anything. Przwelski was mentioned when I first asked for recommendations a while back. So was AeroTech Designs. I was leaning toward AeroTech, you think these are better?,,,Thanks,mjac
Old 02-01-20, 11:08 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by jbucky1
This is relatively more expensive but the comfiest bib I have ever worm Not quite rapha price but still $160

https://buckyrides.com/product-revie...ng-bib-shorts/

- james
I am looking for just shorts but if Castelli makes that good of stuff maybe I can look there. But I don't want to be caught paying for just a name and all the high end shorts appear to be just that. The only way to avoid it is to stay away from all of the big name brands.
Old 02-01-20, 11:10 PM
jbucky1

Bikes: Moots Routt

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I am looking for just shorts but if Castelli makes that good of stuff maybe I can look there. But I don't want to be caught paying for just a name and all the high end shorts appear to be just that. The only way to avoid it is to stay away from all of the big name brands.
Ah I see. Castelli makes good stuff, I call it mid range. Im not sure if they have shorts. They have a deep heritage in cycling and apparel tech so make good products . Good Luck

- James
Old 02-01-20, 11:42 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I hate aerotech shorts. I bought some years ago back in 2005, very nice fitting and comfy.

Bought more in about 2017,hated them!

The front section is cut short and does not rise up in the front at all. For me, the front of the pad ends right at my nutty buddies and is like riding a bike with a hack saw blade trying to saw my nutz in half. I had severe nut pain.

Give me Pearl Izumi. Models I buy are about $100 but well the money vs having my nuts sliced in 2. Never had a problem like that with any other pair of shorts.

This is the chamois that tried to end my life.

Old 02-01-20, 11:51 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by TheDudeIsHere
I hate aerotech shorts. I bought some years ago back in 2005, very nice fitting and comfy.

Bought more in about 2017,hated them!

The front section is cut short and does not rise up in the front at all. For me, the front of the pad ends right at my nutty buddies and is like riding a bike with a hack saw blade trying to saw my nutz in half. I had severe nut pain.

Give me Pearl Izumi. Models I buy are about $100 but well the money vs having my nuts sliced in 2. Never had a problem like that with any other pair of shorts.

This is the chamois that tried to end my life.

Back to square one.
Old 02-01-20, 11:55 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Spend thousands on a bike, spend pennies on bike clothing. I just don’t understand some people’s children...
Old 02-02-20, 12:36 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I am looking for the well built short that has the best Pad. From what you know, what is the best Pad, the Pad in AeroTech Designs or the Pad in the Przwelski and Spotti? I have learned not to get hung up on names, they don't mean anything. Przwelski was mentioned when I first asked for recommendations a while back. So was AeroTech Designs. I was leaning toward AeroTech, you think these are better?,,,Thanks,mjac
I've tried only the Aero Tech Pro shorts, which despite the "pro" moniker are very entry level shorts in fabric and fit. Good but nothing special. They're more like padded underwear with very light compression.

The Przewalski shorts use better fabric, much more comfortable pads, and generally look, fit and feel like more expensive shorts and bibs. Same with Spotti, which appear to be the same manufacturer -- my Spotti bibs with capri length legs have a Coolmax pad labeled "Przewalski." And I find the bib mesh fabric suspenders more comfortable than the Black Bibs (which aren't bad at all and are pretty good values).

Here's the main difference I see between the Coolmax pads used by Przewalski and Spotti: the original orange pad is thicker all around, comfortable but maybe a little thick where it isn't absolutely necessary. The yellow/black two tone fade pad is thick only in the high pressure zones, and thinner elsewhere. Both have been comfortable on many rides of 20-50 miles, and a few of 60-100+ miles. (Part of that is due to better saddles, good bike fit, etc.)

My size is a bit of an awkward in-between, at 5'11" and 150 lbs. I have bird legs and disproportionate upper body. So I can wear medium and some large tops, but not small. But I can wear small or medium bottoms. The Przewalski shorts fit me well in medium but I wanted a bit more compression, so when a pair of the small went on sale for $15 I tried 'em. Perfect fit at my current weight, with the compression I was looking for to give a little more support to the thighs.
Old 02-02-20, 02:12 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I think you need to spend some time investigating chamois pad thicknesses and the materials used. You have two samples already that did not work for you. So at least you have two data reference points to go on with LG and PI. You might also consider Tri-bibs by DeSoto. The 400 mile pad is thicker but the Mobius and Carrera have minimal padding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.