Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Marlin 7 - Worth it ?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Marlin 7 - Worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 09:00 AM
Ackshun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Marlin 7 - Worth it ?

Hello everyone,

New to the forum and cycling. Hoping to start with something simple.

Currently looking at a used Trek Marlin 7 for $350 USD or $500 CAD. I'm guessing it's a 2014 but can't say for certain.

Would very much appreciate everyone's expert opinion. Thank you !!

Frame Size: 17"
Frame Material: appears to be aluminum
Tire Size: (front) Seyoun 26x2.10, (rear) Bontrager 29x2.00, not matching and inflated
Rim Material: appears to be aluminum
Stand Over Height: 30"
Speed: 27
Gear Shifter: Shimano Altus rapid-fire style; both systems are responsive; but have not been fully tested
Front Derailleur: Shimano Altus derailleur responsive; but not fully tested
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus derailleur responsive; but not fully tested
Brake Levers: TekTro metal levers; both systems appear to be working, but not fully tested
Brake Type: TekTro Xiuriga disc brakes
Crank Set: Shimano aluminum crank arms; plastic pedals with integrated reflectors
Seat: Bontrager foam padded seat
Front Suspension: SR Suntour suspension working, but not fully tested
Colour: gray with bold graphics
Grip: rubber grips (torn on edges)
Extras: seat post and front/rear wheel quick releases; seat post, Bontrager headset and stem

policeauctionscanada.com/Listing/Details/37236590/Trek-Marlin7-27Speed-FS-Disc-Bike-210815D
Old 04-06-20, 09:41 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I can't comment on the Marlin 7 but I have the Marlin 6 . I don't use mine in the mountains, but instead on local rather flat trails and backroads.
Mt Marlin 6 would be on the heavy side but it carries that weight quite well. Mine has never give me any problems with shifting or braking. My Tectro Hyd. brakes are beyond dependable. The best description I can give of them is that I don't give them any thought. I know they will be there if I need them. The gears are displayed in a window , and that helps if I let a newer rider try it out. Mine is 5 yrs old and I think I gave near $600 new.
I have changed the pedals for cheap flats. and at present trying a set of Kenda 700 X 42c . They seem to ride as smooth as as the original 29" tires I wore out.
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 04-06-20, 09:45 AM
Ackshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. You paid $600 US brand new I imagine ?

I like the bike quite a bit, just trying to determine if the price tag is right.

Thanks again !!

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I can't comment on the Marlin 7 but I have the Marlin 6 . I don't use mine in the mountains, but instead on local rather flat trails and backroads.
Mt Marlin 6 would be on the heavy side but it carries that weight quite well. Mine has never give me any problems with shifting or braking. My Tectro Hyd. brakes are beyond dependable. The best description I can give of them is that I don't give them any thought. I know they will be there if I need them. The gears are displayed in a window , and that helps if I let a newer rider try it out. Mine is 5 yrs old and I think I gave near $600 new.
I have changed the pedals for cheap flats. and at present trying a set of Kenda 700 X 42c . They seem to ride as smooth as as the original 29" tires I wore out.
Old 04-06-20, 10:06 AM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Yes ,I bought my Marlin 6 new at a local dealer. funds in USD. I noticed at the base of your post mention of a policeauctionCanada.com . I would be checking the condition VERY close considering it may have had a rough life. Our US bicycle bluebook didn't show a 2014 but a 2015 showed value at near $300 . I have no idea how dependable those numbers are .Wish you the best I should have checked Craigslist here for you but I am sure you can access it there. Good luck.
Old 04-06-20, 11:09 AM
Ackshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
Yes ,I bought my Marlin 6 new at a local dealer. funds in USD. I noticed at the base of your post mention of a policeauctionCanada.com . I would be checking the condition VERY close considering it may have had a rough life. Our US bicycle bluebook didn't show a 2014 but a 2015 showed value at near $300 . I have no idea how dependable those numbers are .Wish you the best I should have checked Craigslist here for you but I am sure you can access it there. Good luck.
Appreciate it. I did see a 4900 on Kijiji for $100 less.

Honestly don't know enough to tell the difference.

Last edited by Ackshun; 04-06-20 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 03:15 PM
Olefeller77 

I would consider the Marlin if it is a 29r over a 26" wheel . I have ( and like) a couple 26rs but they are not real popular any more. I got my Trek 3900 for $75 at a yard sale and it is set up to take disc if I wished. 29rs are all the rage now. They are sure footed and roll over stuff like a dream. Just my opinion of course.
Old 04-07-20, 04:05 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I like Trek bikes. I nearly bought one last year. I don't think $350 is overpriced but I would offer $300. The obvious is that will greet a comeback of $325. At that point I would stick with $300. Ha.!! True.

Does the frame fit you.?? You say the bike's standover height is 30". The real question is.... What is Your standover height.?? If your inseam is 30" the fit should work. If your inseam is 28" the bike might be too big for you.
Old 04-07-20, 06:15 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
That price for that bike seems high to me. I've been watching CL fairly often and think you could get a lot more bike than that for $350. If your budget allows it, spend more and get something with higher level components. If not maybe consider something older for less money. As an example, I just saw a Klein Pulse Comp on CL for $75. Be patient and you'll eventually find that unicorn!
Old 04-08-20, 11:26 AM
Ackshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
That price for that bike seems high to me. I've been watching CL fairly often and think you could get a lot more bike than that for $350. If your budget allows it, spend more and get something with higher level components. If not maybe consider something older for less money. As an example, I just saw a Klein Pulse Comp on CL for $75. Be patient and you'll eventually find that unicorn!
thanks for this.
Old 04-09-20, 09:47 AM
Ackshun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do guys think about going with the 4900 for $100 less ?

Please view this ad:

New condition Trek 4900 Mountain bike with Rock Shox,

kijiji.ca/v-mountain-bike/city-of-toronto/new-condition-trek-4900-mountain-bike-with-rock-shox/1450325178?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_ content=app_android