Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Deal for the Little Guy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 06:38 PM
SteelThisBike

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Intenso, Lemond Zurich, Stowe, Trek 930

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

There are still a few of these left at USD 475 on Amazon, if you can ride a small. That's as of 4:30 pm PST on Dec 13:

https://www.cinelli-usa.com/cinelli-...-bike-sangria/

Check out the specs on this, for under $500 brand new.
Old 12-13-18, 07:35 PM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A pic:

TUBESET:Columbus Cromor Double Butted Steel
FORK:Cinelli Cr-Mo Steel 1-1/8"
HEADSET:EC 34/28.6 EC 34/30
STEM:Cinelli Bootleg 6061 ÌÎÌá 31.8mm
HANDLEBAR:Cinelli Bootleg 6061 ÌÎÌá 31.8mm
GRIPS:Ergon GP2 Twin Density with Bar End
SEATPOST:Cinelli Bootleg 6061 ÌÎÌá 30mm
SADDLE:Selle San Marco Ischia Bootleg Custom
CRANKSET:FSA Comet Compact Mega Exo 26/39T 170/175mm
BOTTOM BRACKET:FSA BB-7100
FRONT DERAILLEUR:SRAM X5
REAR DERAILLEUR:SRAM X5
CHAIN:KMC X10
CASSETTE:SRAM GS-1030 11/36T 10S
SHIFTERS:SRAM X5
BRAKES:Avid BB7 S - SRAM FR5 Brake Levers
WHEELS:Alex Rims 584x23 MD23 - SRAM Myth 506 Hubs
TIRES:Continental Race King 650Bx2.2"
PEDALS:Wellgo WPD 95B
ACCESSORIES:Front/Rear Rack + Front/Rear Fenders Friendly
BIKE WEIGHT:12.9kg

"The sloping frameset is made of Columbus Cromor triple butted steel. Equipped with the same anti-corrosion treatment as the HoBootleg to provide total protection against the elements. The wheel clearance allows rear carrier and fenders with up to 2" tires. The frame features three bottle-cage mounts, and two additional ones on the fork blades, where spare spokes can be placed. the CNC rear dropouts are specifically designed to support the disc-brake clamps as well as the eyelets of the rear carrier and fender. No detail has been overlooked in the design of the GEO."
Old 12-13-18, 07:40 PM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of you guys alerted to an Amazon deal on the adventure version of this bike. It comes with racks and was around USD 800 for the small. I looked up the site to see if I would fit the small (barely), but by the time I got back to AMZ they were gone at that price.

But I kept an eye on Amazon. This Geo MTB version came up at USD 750, and I was tempted. When I switched the tab to "Small" it came up at USD 475, so I jumped on that. There's a mount for a rear rack but no fork mount braze ons (just water bottle and extra spoke holders). Still, I like the groupset and brakes. Columbus Cromor is nice.
Old 12-13-18, 08:05 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yeah that looks sweet, nice and simple and I bet it rides great with that tubing and geo.
Old 12-13-18, 08:14 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Do you have the bike or just ordered it? Please let us know what you think of it. $500 seems like a very good price considering the build specs.

regards, Brian
Old 12-13-18, 08:26 PM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brian, I don't have it yet, just ordered. I will report for sure. For instance, the copy says front-rack friendly but there's no specific mention of braze-ons (something the adventure bike/touring set would be interested in). Also, I haven't ridden any SRAM, much less X5, and it's my first foray into discs on a bike. BB7 mechanicals have been around for years and people rave about them, so I'm curious.

It's a toe in the water thing for me with discs. I just got through doing my annual brake bleed on the motorcycles and I really don't want to do it on my bicycles. So, I'll give these mechs a try.

Overall I'd say this bike ticks a lot of boxes. I have an old Trek 930 that's similar for its day. This bike, with lighter drivetrain and the Cromor tubing, is a good two-three pounds lighter than my old Trek, despite the disc brakes adding weight. That Trek is a good road bike and trail bike so I like this modern equivalent that also has a rear rack mount and lots of tire clearance. I figure at this price I could upgrade some components without feeling I was throwing good money after bad. But we'll see!
Old 12-16-18, 03:15 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now there are deals on the Cinelli Geo for the big guys, too. Amazon keeps screwing around with pricing on these bikes. Today I see XL for $500 and L for 5-something. If you want a bike with decent steel, that you can ride on the road or do some bashing around offroad, it's a good deal at $500. I wouldn't necessarily pay more than that, but...

Now if you want a hardcore hardtail MTB, some deals I've seen are Ritchey Timberwolf (steel, baby) at under $1,900 and for a real bargain the Airborne Goblin 29 (al) at $999. Check ebay for those.

But this bike is nice for people like me who primarily ride streets and want to at least be able to go offroad, without breaking the bike. Hook up a rear rack for groceries, jump some curbs with impunity. Yeah!

Still waiting on the box to arrive, I will report.
Old 12-16-18, 09:12 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess you can put a lot of racks on this bike:

https://www.imgrumweb.com/hashtag/hobootleggeo

Old 12-16-18, 09:24 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's funny. I like that front rack for grocery duty.

Old 12-17-18, 02:08 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The listed bike looks terrific for what it is. I would definitely ride one if I were looking for an all-around utility bike. Are 650B studded tires available? Hmmm....
Old 12-18-18, 07:58 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Phil, it looks to me like 650b is gaining in popularity these days, but I haven't really checked out tire selection. The ones fitted to this bike are reputed to be surprisingly good on roads as well as dry trails. Even muddy trails according to some reviewers.

For anyone interested in this bike/deal:

So I got the (open/damaged) box from Amazon. Lucky for me the bike was fine. I've only done "mock up" on assembly to check fit. But for anyone thinking of plucking one of these deals I'd say:

It does run a bit big. The 15 I got is bigger than 15s I've straddled. Actually I'm surprised they recommend this for people down to 5'2", as the standover is over 30". It's tickling my nutz for sure. However the cockpit is compact. Standing on the pedals I can imagine hurtling down a steep trail and feeling a bit nervous. Not terrified I'm going over nervous but not low rider it's not my problem confident. Notice that the SM and MD have the same wheelbase and reach; it's the seat tube and stack that change. Also the head tube is longer on the MD.

You might opt for professional assembly. The front caliper isn't mounted, but overall it's similar to one you might get in the average bike box. Looking over the Avid BB7 S rig, I can see why people preach setup/setup/setup with these. Seems like sturdy kit, but it's single-piston with one side fixed. Decent mounting to frame and fork, but to eliminate squeal and rubbing, and get good feel and power -- yes, I can see why people labor over setup with the BB7 Ss. Should be interesting! I will say they seem well made. If you do opt for pro setup, make sure the mech is a BB7 expert. I can just see someone who doesn't put the time in getting them to work OK, but in a way that isn't pleasing, then saying "I can't stand those things. We can upgrade to hydros for $500."

Oh, and be careful unpacking and assembling as the flat black scratches really easily. If you're not sure of keeping the bike be extra careful.

Yes, there are lots of braze-ons. I'm still figuring them out. Included pedals (Wellgo WPD 95B) are nice, not the cheap chit usually included. Looked them up and they cost as much as my similar platform/clipless hybrid Shimanos -- and they're a bit lighter.
Old 12-18-18, 08:11 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Almost forgot the best part -- the Columbus steel tubing. Looking down the seat tube, I can't really tell if they do somekind of special rustproofing prep, as they claim. It is clean and rust free lol. What I can say is that the welds are very nice looking on the bike. The paint is so-so. Not too delicate on the frame and fork, typical thin rat rod suede type paintjob you see so often these days. But the flat black bits like the handlebar do scratch very easily.
Old 12-18-18, 08:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,583 Times in 7,338 Posts
I'm 6'2", so not a little guy.
Old 12-18-18, 08:56 AM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I'm 6'2", so not a little guy.
They had the Large and X Large for the same price ($500) the other day. Prices seem to fluctuate a lot at Amazon.
Old 12-18-18, 01:51 PM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Now the XL is $473 and the S is back up over $700, so Deal for the Big Guy.

I'm liking this bike more as I tinker. Still not completely dialed in, but a brief ride confirms that steel is lovely. The Continental Race Kings are deceptively good on pavement. The X5 doesn't ride as "low-end" as I feared it would. I'm good with 650b with tires this big.

I don't know how the hell someone much under 5'5" could ride this thing. My cycling inseam in 30.5" and I've bottomed out the post getting the seat height correct. The standover is (just barely) OK for me, but for a person with shorter legs not so much. With stock stem I've got the seat pushed all the way back, but I still think 5'5" to maybe 5'8" or so with the small. It's a rather big small.
Old 12-19-18, 07:53 PM
SteelThisBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
XL is now $441 and change on Amazon. Big deal for the big guy.