Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Giro Republic or other vintage-looking shoe?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-16, 07:59 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

I've been pretty happy with my Shimano MT22 shoes, which are the only cycling shoes I've owned. I got them because they work with SPD SH-52 cleats, have a relatively stiff sole, and don't look stupid. I actually love the way they look. However, on longer rides I notice that my toes get cramped and the pinky toes gets numb. I have fairly narrow feet, but the shoe feels a little too narrow.

I'm thinking of asking for the Giro Republics for my Christmas present. Is it worth the extra money for the lx (leather)? They look boxier in the toes than what I have, but I've read a couple of reviews that mention that they have a cramped toe box. Are there other good looking (and somewhat old school looking) shoes I should consider (assuming stiff sole and take 2-hole cleats)?
Old 11-20-16, 08:36 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
I have not tried the republic but I use the giro rumble VR's for my commute and they are great. I can even wear them all day as a normal shoe if I forget (or don't bother) to bring a switch. lots of room, basically a normal shoe that clips in.

the republic is a grade higher and more of a pure cycling shoe.. but I have to give props to Giro and expect good things
Old 11-20-16, 08:52 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I don't have any experience with that shoe, but I have found that leather is more comfortable in the long run. I have a pair of Quoc Pham Tourers that have gotten more comfortable with use.
Old 11-20-16, 11:31 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I have been riding Republics (synthetic upper) for about a year. I was highly skeptical before buying but I now like them.

Cramped toe box??? No way! The toe ox has more room than any other road shoe I've had and is as roomy as most mountain bike shoes.

You can get the synthetic for about $100 less than leather. If you have the money, buy leather. If you're not sure buy the synthetic.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 11-20-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-21-16, 03:29 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I bought Bontrager Classiques last April, and I love them. Most I've ever paid for shoes (160USD), but they're by far the best shoes I've ever had. I was looking primarily for a road shoe with laces, as my foot is fairly wide I wanted some width adjustment. I find them very light and quite comfortable.

Bontrager Classique road shoes review - BikeRadar

Old 11-21-16, 03:56 AM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quoc Urbanite is awesome.
Old 11-21-16, 04:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I would have already bought the Bontrager Classique if they were real leather. I didn't know about the Giro LX model. I'll keep an eye out for them on Black Friday.

The Dromarti's are as nice as you can get. They look comfortable.

Leather Cycling Shoes - Sportivo Black ¦ Dromarti

Old 11-21-16, 06:04 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since we got some straight touring shoes into the mix, I'll add my Mamnick Hibell touring shoes
- haven't been happier with any shoes since Avocet touring shoes in about 1978
yes, these are for toe clips/straps
Old 11-21-16, 07:41 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I have been riding Republics (synthetic upper) for about a year. I was highly skeptical before buying but I now like them.

Cramped toe box??? No way! The toe ox has more room than any other road shoe I've had and is as roomy as most mountain bike shoes.

You can get the synthetic for about $100 less than leather. If you have the money, buy leather. If you're not sure buy the synthetic.
Great to hear. I've found the leather version in the UK for a decent discount, but limited color selection. I may have to go with the grey instead of the black, though the grey looks good too.

I normally take a 44 in European sizing. They only have 43 or 45 available. I'm thinking of going up a size, and I can change out the insole to something beefier if they're too roomy even with the laces. Does that sound right?
Old 11-21-16, 08:44 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Generally speaking going a size up in a cycling shoe is a bad idea. If the foot has room to float and shift inside, it tends to cause sore feet. When leather laced cycling shoes were the norm, people were generally advised to get the smallest size that would fit comfortably. You don't want them so small that there are obvious pressure points, but a good snug fit is best. The leather will stretch and break in over time.
Old 11-21-16, 09:29 AM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Your feet swell notably when you cycle - the blood pressure increases in your feet.
I point my toes as high as I can when lacing my shoes to prevent circulation pinch when pedaling.
Old 11-21-16, 10:11 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 520 Times in 281 Posts
Vittoria 1976 are another nice choice. I normally wear a 47, and a 46 in them was plenty big. They seemed a bit wider than other Italian cycling shoes.
Old 11-21-16, 10:33 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by Kevindale
Great to hear. I've found the leather version in the UK for a decent discount, but limited color selection. I may have to go with the grey instead of the black, though the grey looks good too.

I normally take a 44 in European sizing. They only have 43 or 45 available. I'm thinking of going up a size, and I can change out the insole to something beefier if they're too roomy even with the laces. Does that sound right?

I advise caution here -

You don't like the color (grey vs black)

They are the wrong size

In my experience, a shoe MUST fit, otherwise, no matter the price, you should not buy them. I mail ordered mine because the shop did not have my size. I went to REI and tried them on, intending to buy them but they were one size too small.
Old 11-21-16, 12:36 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale

I have a pair of Giro Empire SLX laceups. Lightest shoes I've ever owned. Even lighter than my Specialized S-Works.

I've had several pairs of Specialized shoes, all of them size 46. Also had some SIDIs in 46. The Giros are 46.5 and and are still a hair smaller. Assuming Specialized and SIDI are closer to "normal", I don't think you'll have a problem going up a full size.
Old 11-21-16, 02:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
I remember that the BKM for a good fit in leather cycling shoes was to hose them down with a water bottle and ride on a dry day. They'd shrink wrap to your feet.

That's the way I was taught, anyways.
Old 11-21-16, 05:46 PM
jcb3

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'm very pleased with my Giro Republics

Although not leather, they were comfortable right out of the box. I appreciate the large toe box.

Quick to snug up, stays comfortable on long rides. I'm riding shimano a-520s and have no foot pain/hot spot issues.

Last year REI blew them out during the holidays for $75 - I waited a day too long and my size was gone. (looking for a spare pair)

Last edited by jcb3; 11-21-16 at 05:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-21-16, 06:01 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Kevindale -

A possible quick fix for your current foot discomfort is to buy the Dr. Scholl gel pads that is made to fit under the ball of the foot. It relieves pressure and reduces numbness and tingling. If it works, you can take you time on a replacement choice.
Old 11-22-16, 02:48 AM
SpookyReverb

Bikes: 2018 All-City Space Horse Disc, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, 1987 Centurion Ironman, KidzTandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a couple pairs of the Republics, and I really like them. The one downside is that the walking pads are really deep and that makes it tough (and impossible) to get into certain pedals (I've had trouble with three different sets of pedals). I ended up taking an exacto knife to the pad to make them fit. Kind of a bummer.
Old 11-22-16, 06:42 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
I'm happy with my black Giro Republics, they are the synthetic upper model. Mine were modified to use with toe clips and straps, the front lugs in each side of the cleat point were ground off for a flat sole, save the heel lugs. The front lugs made the shoes sit high, and just didn't work with my NR pedals and toe clips.

I have big feet, period, my shoes are Euro size 46 and they fit me comfortably, and they fit snug enough to stay in place correctly. I would recommend them as being good, quality shoes, at a decent price. Watch for sales, Nashbar had a respectable discount a few weeks back when I purchased mine.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-22-16, 09:52 AM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I'm happy with my black Giro Republics, they are the synthetic upper model. Mine were modified to use with toe clips and straps, the front lugs in each side of the cleat point were ground off for a flat sole, save the heel lugs. The front lugs made the shoes sit high, and just didn't work with my NR pedals and toe clips.

I have big feet, period, my shoes are Euro size 46 and they fit me comfortably, and they fit snug enough to stay in place correctly. I would recommend them as being good, quality shoes, at a decent price. Watch for sales, Nashbar had a respectable discount a few weeks back when I purchased mine.

Bill

Because I also use clips and straps, I also removed the front lugs. I infilled with a thin rubber sole.

If there is anything bad about these inexpensive shoes, it's that the toe box is too tall. This makes for comfortable toes but it interferes with the front of the clip (I have XL clips but wear a Euro 48/US 13). This is a minor issue, bordering on irrelevant.

OP uses clipless, so this does not apply.
Old 11-22-16, 07:08 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
I'm seriously considering a pair of Vittoria 1976 shoes.

They look cool as hell, come in a variety of sole options -carbon, nylon, spd, 3 hole, touring....
And are quite a bit cheaper than the Dromartis (nylon 3 hole version for about $100-120)....

Old 11-22-16, 09:52 PM
Kevindale

Thank you for all the additional info. With US sizing, sometimes I wear 10.5, more often 11, every now and then 11.5. I also like to wear fairly think, high quality socks when riding, so I'm not sure 45 will be significantly too big. I have gotten shoes that were a hair to big to fit perfectly by replacing the stock insole with something aftermarket of higher quality, with a bit more density.

My comfort issue with my current shoes are that the toe box is too narrow, so a gel insert would probably make that worse. The soles are fine. Oh, and I like the grey in the Republics, just like the black a bit more.

Anyway, there are some very interesting alternative options here, which give me more to consider. Since I don't live in a place that offers any of these shoes, I'll buy online from stores with good return policies, so I won't get stuck with a shoe that doesn't fit.
Old 11-22-16, 10:17 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
10.5-11 is Euro 45 anyway. That should be just about right if you prefer thick socks. Always best to buy shoes in person though if possible.

I only mentioned the size thing because it's a bit different than sizing a say a hiking shoe. Fudging a size upwards just to be sure they don't rub is a mistake. You want them right sized. If there's room for fore and aft movement it can get pretty uncomfortable.

I'm not sure why, but the shoe size conversion charts I find on the web are wrong more often than not, and some of them are way off.
Old 11-22-16, 11:08 PM
Maxacceleration
I like bikes

Bikes: A couple new and a couple old

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Dromartis. Beautiful shoes. Its been cold & wet so I have not rode with them yet. They don't feel right on my heel, sort of a pinch, and thats without even using them yet. I think they will need some manipulation to break in the heel.
With the thin laces its hard to get a proper fit. I am spoiled by rachet & velcro!
Oh the price for vintage looking shoes!

Old 11-23-16, 04:44 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
I find these lacing tips extremely helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.