Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do Cool Stop Salmon Pad Have a Break in Period?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-14, 09:58 PM
rommer25

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Sport, Fuji Absolute 3.0, Cannondale H400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I had these Cool stop pads installed on my Fuji Absolute while have routine adjustments at Performance Bike. The breaks did not squeal but were wearing down. When I got my bike back, the front wheel squealed very loud. The back if fine. I took it back and the mechanic tried to adjust the pads but without success. He told me that due to the residue left by the former pads, I needed to break in the new Cool Stop Pads. I never heard of this. If this is so, how long should one expect to wait before the noise stops. If this is not so, I will return the bicycle and ask them to fix it right. I would appreciate opinions from people that have experience with these pads. TM.
Old 10-10-14, 10:03 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
You can use a Scotchbrite pad to clean the residue off of the rims.

As far as squealing, that is an esthetic issue, not a functional problem.
Some people play around with toe-in to get rid of it.
I don't bother, and on the rare occasions I've had it, after some use it went away.
Old 10-10-14, 10:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
1mm of toe-in usually works for me.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-11-14, 12:31 AM
ofgit

Bikes: Mostly '80s MIJ steel.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tape a piece of card stock from the pad's packaging at the trailing edge and snug everything down to get the toe in. Might have to fold it to get it like you want it.

Disclaimer: Remove the shim before riding.
Old 10-11-14, 04:25 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even with proper toe-in, new Kool-Stops can shriek like a banshee. It may take 100 - 200 miles for them to bed in and quiet down. You can sometimes speed up the bedding process a little by sanding the braking surface of the pads with some 200 grit sandpaper, but I really think it's heat cycles from actual use that eventually quiet them down.
Old 10-11-14, 08:28 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycle them by doing a few brake drags and they will "seat in". The squealing should stop after that. Mine still made a little noise occasionally after that but it was rare.
Old 10-11-14, 08:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
maybe the surface left from the mold release in manufacturing can be sanded off.
Old 10-11-14, 09:15 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
You can use a Scotchbrite pad to clean the residue off of the rims.

As far as squealing, that is an esthetic issue, not a functional problem.
Some people play around with toe-in to get rid of it.
I don't bother, and on the rare occasions I've had it, after some use it went away.
+1
Clean the rim with alcohol to remove grease and grit. Then just ride the bike and after a few extended rides, the squeal will go away.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-11-14, 09:28 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Clean the rim with alcohol to remove grease and grit. Then just ride the bike and after a few extended rides, the squeal will go away.
Mine actually squeal more when I clean the rim, so I stopped cleaning the braking surface on the rim. One less thing to worry about.
Old 10-11-14, 10:56 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Mine actually squeal more when I clean the rim, so I stopped cleaning the braking surface on the rim. One less thing to worry about.
Considering that it's common for chain lube to contaminate the rim, you may be risking the safe function of the brake.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-11-14, 11:28 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Considering that it's common for chain lube to contaminate the rim, you may be risking the safe function of the brake.
Appreciate the concern, but it's a risk I'm willing to take. In any case, my bikes are immaculate. There is no chain lube on my rims, just a little brake dust that keeps them from squealing.
Old 10-11-14, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you apparently dont mind replacing the wheel's rims more frequently , due to the abrasive grit left there.
Old 10-12-14, 01:17 AM
rommer25

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was wondering if the rim material might also be part of my problem. The back if fine; it's the font. I had to replace the font wheel when my bike fell off the back of my car a few months ago. The replacement is a cheap rim that the bike shop had in stock. I've been planning to buy a good replacement but have not got around to it yet. I adjusted the toe and cleaned the rim with Simple Green first and then with alcohol. I gues I'll keep using them and wait to see of they quiet in time.
Old 10-12-14, 03:59 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by fietsbob
you apparently dont mind replacing the wheel's rims more frequently , due to the abrasive grit left there.
you make a good point, fietsbob. I'll try cleaning them with alcohol to see if they start squeaking again. If they do, I may just be willing to tolerate shorter rim life to avoid the squeaking. They squeak the worst on my mountain (winter) bike which has an inexpensive set of sun rhyno lites that I wouldn't be too worried about replacing every couple of winters.
Old 10-12-14, 06:37 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracr39
Cycle them by doing a few brake drags and they will "seat in". The squealing should stop after that. Mine still made a little noise occasionally after that but it was rare.
That is what I do. Find a mild descent and apply the brakes lightly.
Old 10-12-14, 10:15 AM
1 Miyata Biker

Bikes: Schwinns and Miyatas

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used rubbing alcohol for cleaning the brake area of the wheels. If they need a bit more attention in a problem spot, then a combination of the rubbing alcohol and 400 grit wet sand paper gets everything back in order. It doesn't take much pressure at all. You could also give the new Cool Stop brake pads similar treatment, along with a "toe-in" adjustment at the front of the brake pads. A cleaning/sanding "may" decrease the squealing, but a few hundred miles of riding is the best cure.
Old 10-12-14, 12:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

My brakes squeal a bit after the rubbing alcohol treatment, but it's very obviously because the pads are gripping the rims better (a good thing.) They always quiet back down after a bit, and I figure it's good practice to clean off the grit every so often.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-12-14, 01:06 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
I have had intractable squeal with Kool-Stop salmon pads when combined with new and/or very clean rims. My solution is to use the Kool-Stop black pads for a couple months and then reinstall the salmon pads when it starts to rain. They work great then.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-12-14, 01:46 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I like the squeal, it lets the cars know where I am.
Old 10-12-14, 02:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Al1943
Or people, if you're on a MUP. Who needs to yell "on your left!" or ring a bell when a squealing brake not only alerts them to your presence, but that they made you slow down?
RUSA #7498
Old 10-15-14, 09:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
My "cleaning" is to wipe dirty rims down with a paper towel, folding occasionally to keep the wiping surface reasonably clean. The result is better braking after a rainy ride and/or extra chain lube hitting the rear rim.

It still squeals sometimes, but I second (third?) the sentiment of these posters:

Originally Posted by Al1943
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Or people, if you're on a MUP. Who needs to yell "on your left!" or ring a bell when a squealing brake not only alerts them to your presence, but that they made you slow down?
Old 10-15-14, 09:08 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
As others have noted I also have only ever had to do toe in, no break in perioud etc... love koolstops.
Old 10-15-14, 09:23 AM
JTGraphics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First off I'm a big fan of KoolStop pads and use them on all my bikes.
That said from my experience some rims just squeak and you can do nothing about it for any length of time, you may get it to stop for a little bit but it comes back no mater what you do.
Now I also have a Fuji crosstown it has the same kind rims low grade smooth non machined rims the front squeaked like crazy with KoolStops. The rear did not really have this issue I notice that it's seems this way on most bikes it's mostly the front that will squeak if you have this problem why? who knows.
I finally removed the fronts and put a harder pad on it stopped but the nice fill of the KoolStops are gone rear is OK with them.
All my other bikes have no issues with squeaking but the rims are much better quality.

Last edited by JTGraphics; 10-15-14 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-12-15, 08:55 PM
rommer25

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wanted to update everyone who offered their helpful opinions. The noise never went away. I got a almost new rim that was taken off a Fuji Roubaix 3.0. The result of the switch is no more noise after only about 25 miles. I'm going to give the performance bike rim to a co-worker who said he wanted to replace his front wheel. I'm have already gave him notice on the fault I found with the rim.
Old 01-14-15, 08:52 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even with the proper toe-in, and after 300 miled, my front is still as loud as my wife when she is mad. The rear was super quiet from day one. I love these pads, and I don't really care if they are loud or not. I guess it may be even a safety future on crowded city streets lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.