Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

sturmy archer #2 speed doesn't work

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 11:02 AM
ba_50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is a 3 speed English bike. Moving the lever has no effect on #2 just 1 & 3. Thanks.
Old 07-07-15, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Forty-Two.

Do you know how to adjust the cable (when in 2nd? )

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-07-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 11:30 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have worked on at least a hundred 3 speed hubs. I never had to take one to the bike shop, almost always its a matter of adjustment, They are very tempermental. Make sure the lever is ok. I have had to replace the lever before to get it right. So once everything is working and looks ok, put it in first gear, the chain from hub should be almost but not all the way out, Then try it and see if all the gears are working if not adjust it out a touch and try it again, play around with it like that till it works right. I have never failed to get one working even when froze. Make sure you have oil in the hub, you cant put too much oil in the hub, if you put too much it just leaks out.

I have bought bikes from owners that say the second gear doesnt work, was a matter of minutes I had it working right.

Last edited by howeeee; 07-07-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-07-15, 12:31 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by ba_50
It is a 3 speed English bike. Moving the lever has no effect on #2 just 1 & 3. Thanks.
So, what happens when the shifter is in position 2? Is it in a gear? If so, which one? Or does it just spin freely without engaging?
Old 07-07-15, 01:54 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
So, what happens when the shifter is in position 2? Is it in a gear? If so, which one? Or does it just spin freely without engaging?
they usually spin freely without engaging
Old 07-07-15, 02:38 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
No, there is a 2nd of 3 gear ratios in there. If it won't adjust correctly you may need a new cable.

Don't ask me how I know, I was lucky to have been able to father children.
Old 07-07-15, 03:34 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
they usually spin freely without engaging
If that is the case with the OP's bike, it would suggest a loose shift cable that lets the clutch land in the neutral zone between gears 2 and 3. Tightening the cable should fix this problem. Put the shifter in the 2 position, and adjust the cable tension so the shoulder of the indicator rod is flush with the end of the axle, as seen through the window in the drive side axle nut.
Old 07-08-15, 05:45 AM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Probably cable tension. When I have the tension wrong second gear is usually the one that acts up. I've found the procedure on this page works better for me than the official SA procedure.

Sturmey-Archer Internal-Gear Hubs, Tech Tips
Old 07-08-15, 09:31 AM
ba_50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is no resistance in 2nd and it has a new cable. The shifter is worn but moving the lever between 1 & 3 had no affect. I'll try the adjustment recommended.
Old 07-08-15, 10:38 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
The official manuals tell you to adjust it by visual examination of the end of the indicator spindle shaft, but this doesn't always work, especially if the indicator spindle is not original equipment. For best results, adjust the cable by tension. When the trigger is in high gear position, the cable should be totally slack. Shift down to middle gear, while watching the indicator chain-it should clearly move as you make the shift. Then shift to low gear; again, you should see more chain coming out of the end of the axle. Sometimes the internal parts line up in such a way as to prevent downshifting. If you have trouble getting the hub to downshift, turn the pedals slightly forwards. Once you are sure you are in low gear, take hold of the indicator spindle chain and try to pull more of it out of the axle. If the adjustment is correct, you should be able to get just a tiny bit more movement from the chain. If it is completely taut, the cable is too tight. Make sure to tighten the knurled locknut on the indicator spindle so that the adjustment will stay as you have set it.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

There's also a Youtube video, but it is way longer than need be, and the guy is kind of painful to watch.