Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Mash Work-is it the only one of it's kind?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 02:46 PM
spinachface

Bikes: 1993 Bridgestone RB-1, Bianchi M.U.S.S, 1992 GT Bravado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been in the process of trying to figure out my ideal setup for a fixed bike over the last couple years, and have cycled through a few frames. Started with a Mercier Kilo, but it just felt cheap and strange. Then an All City Big Block, which I loved but I had to get rid of when I moved into a studio for a bit. After that, Surly Steamroller, but the frame was a little too small and the geometry was too relaxed for my taste.

Now I'm eyeing a Cinelli Mash Work. Reason being is space is still limited, so I like the idea of having it as a SSCX during the winter and then a track bike during the summer. The clearance is great and I'm not a super little dude so lord knows I can't pull of 25s anymore. I looked at frames like the All City Nature Boy and some other true cyclocross frames, but the long chainstays (about 420) and relaxed geometry seemed too reminiscent of the Steamroller. Plus, the Big Block (while having the geometry I'm looking for) can only clear 32s, and seeing a friend running 38s on his Mash Work was a real eye opener for me.

The Cinelli seems perfect, with the ability to exist in both realms while maintaining more track-esque geometry. Only turn off is the price. Anybody know of any frames with a similar vibe and geometry? I honestly haven't seen a single one in my research, so part of me feels like I might just have to bite the bullet and save up a little more.
Old 03-20-17, 04:56 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Save up and buy what you want, once, and enjoy it.
Old 03-21-17, 07:39 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Do it fast as the Cinelli/Mash collaboration is no more. Snatch up a frame if you can.
Old 03-21-17, 08:21 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I ride a big block, I really like it. However I get tire envy everytime I see a Mash Work
Old 03-21-17, 09:39 AM
spinachface

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nightfly
Do it fast as the Cinelli/Mash collaboration is no more. Snatch up a frame if you can.
Oh ****, no kidding? Well, fingers crossed the XL stays in stock until I can sell my other bike.
Old 03-21-17, 04:21 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinachface
Oh ****, no kidding? Well, fingers crossed the XL stays in stock until I can sell my other bike.
If you end up struggling to find one in stock. I'm looking to unload mine in the near future (I'm not actively selling it, but just throwing that out there).
Old 03-21-17, 04:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I love mine and suggest everyone and their grandmother have one in the stable. It is a fun little bike and with my set up you can't go wrong!
Old 03-21-17, 04:25 PM
SCK
Gold chains on everything

Bikes: Heavy Pedal Zephyr, '16 Mash Work, '14 Cinelli Parallax, C-Dale Synapse Disc

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I love mine and suggest everyone and their grandmother have one in the stable. It is a fun little bike and with my set up you can't go wrong!
Agreed, it's a fun and versatile frameset.
Old 03-21-17, 05:22 PM
spinachface

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCK
If you end up struggling to find one in stock. I'm looking to unload mine in the near future (I'm not actively selling it, but just throwing that out there).
Good to know! Thanks for that man. Just posted my bike on ebay, so fingers crossed I can sell it sooner than later and just grab one new, but it's good to know that I got options.