Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lady shaver best?

Old 08-24-20, 09:28 AM
cabledawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
My leg hairs don't seem to grow as fast as say my arm, stomach or chest hairs. So they're about 1/4" but it's baby fine hair since it's all new growth. Honestly, you can barely see it even at 1/4" length and I have dark hair. But each person is different so you might have to goa few rounds to figure out how often you'll need to do it. I just know that at 1/4", the epilator has no issues grabbing it.
Old 08-24-20, 09:33 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by CanadianBiker32
of course im male

looking for best tool to shave legs and even the full body shave

minus face

would an electric lady shaver work best for all types of hair. and even doing thos "tiny" bits

That's just sad.
Old 08-24-20, 10:11 AM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by cabledawg
My leg hairs don't seem to grow as fast as say my arm, stomach or chest hairs. So they're about 1/4" but it's baby fine hair since it's all new growth. Honestly, you can barely see it even at 1/4" length and I have dark hair. But each person is different so you might have to goa few rounds to figure out how often you'll need to do it. I just know that at 1/4", the epilator has no issues grabbing it.
Thanks, good to know. I keep waffling on an epilator... I keep reading reviews of various models (cheap and expensive both) that say it doesn't pull the hair, just breaks it off, doesn't pull coarser hairs (which, of course, are exactly the ones I want to get rid of), takes forever as in, 30-60 minutes per leg), in part because you have to go over the same place several times, etc. (And an awful lot of reviews from people who say "Man my old one was awesome and lasted for years and years but it finally died and now the quality has changed and the new ones don't work" so apparently I need to take a time machine and buy one 10-15 years ago, lol.)
Likes For Kat12:
Old 08-25-20, 11:15 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I'm certain it pulls the hair. What is growing back isn't thick anymore; it's all baby fine hair. Unlike when I shave my face and the hair grows back with the same thick follicles as before. As for coarser hair, well I did pretty much my entire body, some of which was pretty thick hair. If anything, it struggles to get the baby fine hair that grows back. As for time, I'm certainly not spending 30-60 minutes per leg. Maybe 10-15 and that gets 95% of the hair. Yes, you'll end up going over sections two or three times, but it's fast after the initial session. I cant speak for quality though. This is the first epilator I've owned although my wife has had a couple over the years, each one lasting a few years. Hers were all corded though and mine is cordless (battery lasts about an hour).

There is one last thing and that's skin tension. Thicker skin like legs and arms you don't need to pull tight unless you're trying to get the spots around the joints. But the thinner skin like inside the thighs needs to be pulled tight. This helps the epilator grab the hairs better but it also prevents skin grabs (ouchy!). And you will likely get some ingrown hairs after the first time. Mostly around the areas where clothing is against the skin all day (for me it was around my waistband area). Women might have more issues around the bikini line. Just get a exfoliator scrubby and go over those areas when you bath.

And I just realized that it must be odd to have a guy giving "beauty" tips using women's products.
Likes For cabledawg:
Old 08-25-20, 02:59 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
How often do you need to do that? I've thought about that, but the pain scares me. Does it all come back at once and get stubbly or do different hairs come back at different rates?
If you epilate or wax, you'll go weeks at a time without having anything other than the occasional stray, and what does come back is light, fine, and easy to manage. Over time, it doesn't all come back, so there's even less to do.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-27-20, 02:25 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Shaved legs have a huge effect on aerodynamics with 80% of drag coming from the meat bag atop the bicycle.

You can save 60-90 seconds over 25 miles which is more than a $2000 set of carbon fiber aero wheels when you're starting with contemporary 25-30mm+ deep designs not the venerable Mavic Open Pro which was slow 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I&t=2m10s
Wow. WTH?