Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuck Seatpost. I need HELP!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-12-09, 09:43 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just got an 89 Nishiki Custom Sport and it fits me perfectly, except for the fact that I can not move the seatpost. It is rusted shut and no matter what I do it will not budge. Before you give me your advice, I will tell you what I have tried, with no avail.

I have tried to lube it
I have tried prying the hole apart just enough to loosen it
I have tried hammering it with a hammer
I have tried to slip a razor/knife in between the post and bike to remove rust
I have twisted and lifted and pushed and pulled every which way but the stupid thing won't budge...

Alright I know someone out there has to have a solution...please share....please
Old 10-12-09, 09:49 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Try searching threads with stuck seatpost. We've gone over this scenario about a half dozen times in the past 3 years.
Old 10-12-09, 09:53 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Try searching threads with stuck seatpost. We've gone over this scenario about a half dozen times in the past 3 years.
Thats it?
Old 10-12-09, 10:26 AM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The subject has been covered way more times than suggested. one fellow just the other day, was only able to remove his after over a year trying on and off, I guess he finally had his lucky day. He'd not found the special solution either.

Sheldon Brown writes about this and I'd tried in the past before having read it. At the time, I'd made the choice to sacfrice the saddle by wrecking it. The saddle that was on the bike was pretty good, since then I've used cheap ones. Wrestling the post out using the saddle as a handle. What better to to use as a wrench. A saddle grabs the post entirely. If it's a modern post, the saddle will be sufficiantly flexable overal for added pressure (dif. to articulate) like a torque lever along with leverage. If it's an old type bare-tube post with the saddle clamp clamped to it, I can't think of a better task specific tool either.

Try a special Liquid Wrench type product PB Blaster is the best that I've come across, parts stores have it. Let it sit some. If nothing helps, last resort is to drip some Coka Cola down in there, an old exh. man. stud. rem. trick.
Old 10-12-09, 10:53 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new

Try a special Liquid Wrench type product PB Blaster is the best that I've come across, parts stores have it. Let it sit some. If nothing helps, last resort is to drip some Coka Cola down in there, an old exh. man. stud. rem. trick.
Modern Coca Cola does not work. You are dating yourself

Try ammonia if PB Blaster fails after a few days.

If it moves a mm, it will move a mile.
Old 10-12-09, 11:19 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Step 1: Liberal PB Blaster applied each day for several days
Step 2: Very Very VERY hot hair dryer directed at outside portion of seat tube for 10-15 minutes. You want that baby to be too hot to touch, but not hot enough to damage paint or decals in the area.
Step 3: Can of Freeze-It or similar product. This stuff is sold in aerosol cans and used by janitors to remove gum and wax from linoleum floors and it will freeze the c#ap out of anything toward which you direct the spray tube (including your fingers or face, so be careful). Got my last case on eBay. Use it to freeze the seat post.

Hot tube (expands), cold post (contracts), PB Blaster (does that PBB Magic Thing) - works every time.
Old 10-12-09, 11:21 AM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy

If it moves a mm, it will move a mile.
heh, I had the strange one a few years ago, I got to a point where I could spin it around 360 degrees, but I could still /not/ get it out for some reason, well until I got all rambo on it with a sledge hammer. Out of the four or so total stuck seat posts cases ive had so far only one managed to defeat me.
Old 10-12-09, 11:23 AM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like what Old Fat Guy & rccardr just suggested. I've taken it under advisement and commited it to memory. THANKS
Old 10-12-09, 11:27 AM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by divineAndbright
heh, I had the strange one a few years ago, I got to a point where I could spin it around 360 degrees, but I could still /not/ get it out for some reason, well until I got all rambo on it with a sledge hammer. Out of the four or so total stuck seat posts cases ive had so far only one managed to defeat me.
I've had the same scenario, spin, but not much movement in or out. It did eventually come out, and I firmly believe that if you can move it a little, eventually you can move it a lot.
Old 10-12-09, 11:37 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it possible to damage a frame from applying too much force when trying to free a stuck seat post?
Old 10-12-09, 11:42 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do I know if I have an aluminum or steel post? I am going to run to the store and get some pb blaster I suppose and maybe some ammonia...this really stinks!

I am doing my best to not ruin the frame, and I am tempted to just say forget it and ride it with the post too short...off to the store.
Old 10-12-09, 11:43 AM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
How do I know if I have an aluminum or steel post?
a magnet won't stick to an aluminum post but will to a steel post.
Old 10-12-09, 11:45 AM
Vinci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PB Blaster works miracles. If your bottom bracket isn't a modern "sealed" type, you may need to clean/repack it when you're done, as Blaster will dissolve grease and may well get to your bearings.
Old 10-12-09, 11:46 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 65 Posts
Whilst it is true that this subject has been frequently covered, for people like me (with a completely stuck seatpost) it's good to see it asked again. Practically every time someone has a slightly different method that they share, which gives me something else to try on my bl00dy stuck post.

Compare and contrast with any thread about clinchers v. tubulars, which is a fairly pointless thing to go over as it is so much to do with personal choice and preference, and always disintegrates into a micturation tournament.

Cheers all
Simon
Old 10-12-09, 11:59 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a steel post! This is good right? I first am going to try a tip someone gave to boil water, pour over the ST and allow to cool...supposedly this will expand both, but when the SP contracts it will break the seal and it should come out...won't do damage to the paint or bike...so I am trying this next...if that fails then were off to try pb blaster
Old 10-12-09, 12:03 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by prettyshady
Is it possible to damage a frame from applying too much force when trying to free a stuck seat post?
Yes.
Old 10-12-09, 12:06 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
PB Blaster is used by 4x4 guys to free suspension parts that have been rusted on for decades. It works.

Although the seat attached to the post provides good leaverag, I would expect a pipe wrench would be even better. Just expect to damage the post. Since it is a steel post in a steel frame with rust as the glue, this just might be a supper challenge (this is what PB Blaster was made for).
Old 10-12-09, 12:11 PM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boiling water is a great idea as it won't harm the paint badly like a heat gun or torch might.

I had one that somebody had cut the top of the seatpost off. Aluminmun in a steel frame. No effective way to grab onto it. I took an old bent frame and drilled a hole in the Head Tube. Then driller a hole in the stuck seattube. Bolted together and twisted away. Broke the bond that ammonia or PB couldn't get too.
Old 10-12-09, 12:17 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Thing is, the seatpost depends on close contact/friction with the steel seat tube for it to stay put and not slipping down from the rider's weight and shock. I'm wondering why anyone never cam up with a sort of thin isolator sleeve made out of a material that will not react with both metals and provide the needed grip to keep the seatpost securely clamped on to the frame. smaller diameter seatposts can be obtained to accomodate such sleeves. Seizing aluminum seaposts on steel frames had been an age-old problem with that seems to have escaped solution before the end of the steel frame era.
On a related topic, the seatpost on my 84 Peugeot PSV is held on to the frame with a Allen head jamb bolt mounted on what really is a waterbottle boss, about an inch and a half below the top of the seat tube, between the fastback seat stays. The proprietary JPR aluminum seatpost that came with the bike has a groove machined on to the back side of the seatpost tube where this jamb bolt presses on inside the seat tube and keeps the post/saddle in place and straight. I'm not sure if the setup will avoid the corrosion/seizing problem, but I was always leery of this seatpost anchorage design by Peugeot that seems to have been done on only one or two model years (1984-5?) on their Vitus and maybe Reynolds 501 tubed bikes. I was thinking that maybe I and others here can use the anti seizing compound that mechanics put on spark plug threads to prevent them from seizing/galling on to aluminum engine heads??

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
Old 10-12-09, 12:18 PM
23skidoo
Gone World Hepster

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Great recommendations from everyone; I've got one that's been marinating in Liquid Wrench for a month or so because it's been particularly stubborn. I've been able to remove most of the stuck seat posts by removing the wheels, chain, saddle, bars and stem, then clamping the seatpost firmly in a sturdy bench vise and using the frame itself to twist side-to-side to break the adhesion. Once you get the post out it's probably a good idea to take the frame in to a decent lbs and have them hone out the seat tube to clean out any remaining gunk and corrosion. Good luck. Now if I could only get the danged Death Fork out of the Viscount Aerospace I scored early this summer....
Old 10-12-09, 12:30 PM
Iowegian

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If you don't mind trashing the post I've had luck with a vice grips and dead blow hammer. The first step is always to use a penetrant like PB Blaster and give it time to work. Then heat helps. I think the heat helps soften the rust bond more than actually expand the metal. I use a propane torch for heat and have never damaged the paint but YMMV. I like the hammer/vice grip method since the force is nearly all torque on the post. Plus it's very satisfying to hit the post over and over until it moves Once it starts moving keep going around in a spiral motion until it's free.
Old 10-12-09, 01:01 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just applied the first good soaking of PB blaster...the hot water idea didn't work, unfortunately. I did bend the ST Clamp out just a little bit, which gave me some area to squirt the blaster into, also on top of the post/tube area...I am hoping that it breaks free soon. I'll be extremely happy when it does!
Old 10-12-09, 01:14 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by metalchef87
I just applied the first good soaking of PB blaster...the hot water idea didn't work, unfortunately. I did bend the ST Clamp out just a little bit, which gave me some area to squirt the blaster into, also on top of the post/tube area...I am hoping that it breaks free soon. I'll be extremely happy when it does!
I have a Masi Gran Corsa that had a horribly stuck post. I kept spraying the Blaster in from the top, no go for a month. Then I friend suggest I turn the bike over and squirt it thru the bottle braze ons in the seat tube. duh .. popped out the next day.

Scott
Old 10-12-09, 01:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Also on ammonia, get the strong stuff. The dilute version sold at Walmart or your favorite grocery store is worthless.
Old 10-12-09, 01:43 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This might be a bit obvious, but be sure to service the BB after all this... You know where the myriad of stuff thats being poured down your seatpost ends up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.