Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I've waited a over a year for my Cetma rack. Still waiting.

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 10-11-17, 07:02 PM
gauchedamned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I had ordered and paid for a rack on October 3, 2016. It is now October 11, 2017. I still do not have my rack, despite many patient emails to Lane Kagay at Cetma Cargo. Yes, it has now been over a year wait, and still don't have a rack. I have received maybe two replies from the dozen or so emails that I have sent out promising delivery. Will I ever get this item? Who knows. I'm about as chill a dude as they come, but even chill has its limits. Just thought I'd chime in with some relevant dates for this thread.
Old 10-12-17, 12:22 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I ordered a CETMA rack during his 2015 sale. I had a similar experience.

Except I was a bit more proactive in being sure to reach out to Lane during the paypal buyer protection period.

It took me a month a half to get mine. I reached out to him a month after ordering as his/ CETMA's social media was filling up with customers thanking him for their new racks from the sale.
I knew something was wrong at this time as a multitude of people were receiving theirs, I hadn't even received a tracking number yet.

Since you've been so patient, you're pretty much SOL on getting your money back and 100% at the will of Lane now.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 10-12-17, 06:06 AM
Big Pond

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Call him. He’s active on twitter and F/B. Reach out there as well. If you get no response, look in to the FTC. Good luck.
Old 10-12-17, 07:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
From the CETMA website...
Email - Lane@CETMAcargo.com. The best way to contact me. Brief is best, but I'm happy to correspond. Don't hesitate to write.
Phone - 541-515-3936. Reach me in the mornings, text anytime. Halting my work to answer the phone isn't always convenient. Nothing personal.
Miscellaneous - On weekends I "unplug" and work on things without electronic distraction. I usually turn the ringer off beginning Saturday morning. That said, I make an effort to return any incoming weekend messages asap.

-Tim-
Old 08-30-18, 09:31 AM
osric

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, Cetma Cargo, Argo Cargo, Electra Loft 3i, Raleigh Sports, Detroit Bikes B-Type

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently stumbled across this web site: Cetma Rack Reviews
Apparently there are *lots* of customers, including me, who have been scammed by him.
He recently deleted his Facebook page, deleted a bunch of Instagram posts with customer complaints, and stopped posting on Twitter. He doesn't answer his phone and he rarely responds to email.
I wonder if @gauchedamned ever got his rack...
Old 08-31-18, 05:54 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
BBB F Rating on that page LOL! @gugie in Portland area builds racks and seems to know the community. Maybe he will chime in.
Old 08-31-18, 06:29 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Don't know about this guy. The rack design is pretty simple. Waiting a helluva long time for a rack is one thing, being incommunicado is another. Seems to be an all too common theme, however - bike guy builds up a business, then disappears.
Old 08-31-18, 07:43 PM
johnnytheboy

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
he ded.
Old 08-31-18, 08:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerider007
BBB F Rating on that page LOL! @gugie in Portland area builds racks and seems to know the community. Maybe he will chime in.
Don't know of the guy. It seems not that uncommon for a framebuilder to be running a reasonably successful business, at least to have some repute, then at some point just skip town. I can think of two examples of different framebuilders in Portland that did just that leaving some customers high and dry after taking a large deposit.
Old 09-01-18, 12:18 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
Some people are good at making stuff but suck at running a business. Not uncommon it seems, in any industry. I went through something similar with a "reputable" custom leather maker. Paid in full and waited patiently. Half a year went by and at first would get responses that he was behind, this and that happened, and eventually no replies at all. After a year I had pretty much given up and was going to just dispute the charge, then out of the blue my order showed up in the mail .

So who knows, maybe one day you guys will get your racks...or maybe not. If you've passed the year mark it might be time to see if you can recoup your monies.
Old 09-02-18, 08:27 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Don't know of the guy. It seems not that uncommon for a framebuilder to be running a reasonably successful business, at least to have some repute, then at some point just skip town. I can think of two examples of different framebuilders in Portland that did just that leaving some customers high and dry after taking a large deposit.
Thanks Mark, that sounds like Contractors in Phx.
Old 09-02-18, 12:38 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Very common happenings.
Another example is freight baggage, a former courier/ messenger bag business that still has a cult following among the SF messenger community, that did what is described above to their customers. The sole-owner of the business had his demons though.

Old 09-02-18, 03:54 PM
CBee

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There’s no way to cancel the order?
Old 09-02-18, 10:27 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Leukybear
Very common happenings.
Another example is freight baggage, a former courier/ messenger bag business that still has a cult following among the SF messenger community, that did what is described above to their customers. The sole-owner of the business had his demons though.
It's taken me a while to get myself to respond to this thread because I don't really want to talk about someone on BF, but seeing him drop his online presence is alarming.

The same might be happening with Lane. I knew and worked with him for a short while when he was based in LA he seemed very much to prefer working as a one man operation (He even says "one man show" on his IG). He had people working for him occasionally to produce the racks while he continuing building the cargo bikes because he had quite the backlog of orders. For all I know the stress could have become too great as demand continued to grow. I sincerely hope he's going well and this eventually gets resolved because he worked very hard to build Cetma. My time with him was brief but I really liked the guy.

Last edited by hairnet; 09-02-18 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 12:40 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Flipside is, one of Freight Baggage's former employees/ a friend of mine, started his own little business making freight baggage/ chrome inspired bags. He used to sew for both those brands and really knows his stuff on making a solid heavy-use bag!

https://www.instagram.com/trevor_beanes_studio/

Old 04-01-21, 12:39 PM
Dontgetcetma

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lane is just a thief.

It’s been two years now since I made the mistake of paying Lane Kagay for a Cetma cargo bike. He’s lied, and promised, and stopped returning any calls or emails. Whatever his issue is, the guy is a bike thief.
Save your money.
Likes For Dontgetcetma:
Old 04-01-21, 02:08 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
I just saw this thread and I have no idea who the person in question is and whether there are communication issues, but his website appears to be live and up-to-date and he has been adding blog posts, the most recent was March 9th, where he said he had moved his shop to a new location.
Old 04-01-21, 09:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Dontgetcetma
It’s been two years now since I made the mistake of paying Lane Kagay for a Cetma cargo bike. He’s lied, and promised, and stopped returning any calls or emails. Whatever his issue is, the guy is a bike thief.
Save your money.
So you took the time to register for this forum and find a post that went dormant in 2018 to post that?

Odd one but OK. According to the website he is active and posting and I have known people who have gotten CETMA racks without problems (haven't seen his cargo bike in the flesh but don't know anyone who has gone for one yet near me). If you have issues you might take it up with the Better Business Bureau or go to court if you actually have substantiated evidence otherwise you just seem like a nutter ranting on the internets or maybe a competitor just out to slander. Not a good look.
Old 04-02-21, 10:27 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
So you took the time to register for this forum and find a post that went dormant in 2018 to post that? ... otherwise you just seem like a nutter ranting on the internets or maybe a competitor just out to slander. Not a good look.
Noted that the OP registered in the same month as they made their first post on this thread, and their only other post (in over 3 years) was also on this thread. Then Dontgetcetma registered a name that is directly aimed at Cetma, and made a first post on this very thread, which had been dormant for over two years.

My first thought was that the OP and Dontgetcetma were the same person, except that Dontgetcetma refers to "two years", and the OP posted over 3 years ago.

There are ways and means of pursuing complaints and seeking redress. This is not one of them.

As someone who has dealt with this sort of vitriolic nonsense from "a certain type of customer" every day for many years, I despise it. This is not what this friendly cycling forum is for.
Likes For Mikefule:
Old 04-04-21, 07:18 PM
gauchedamned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No, i just got an alert to this dinosaur in my inbox. I actually did get my CETMA rack a few months after raising a stink, so the thread and another that i created on RDDT at the time helped motivate Cetma. I'm not a regular on bikeforums, but come here occasionally for some advice and other threads. I rarely post. The good news is, albeit a frustrating process, the rack itself has served me well and i have made good use of it since receiving it. Honestly it's indispensable. I sure do hope you eventually get your rack. It's a shame it has to be this difficult. Regards,
Likes For gauchedamned: