Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Why are folding bikes more fun than regular sized bikes?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-20, 05:40 PM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

In the sticky I read the comment, "As for the fun factor, small-wheeled bikes are more fun to ride than big-wheelers, so in that respect they are closer to toys than big-wheelers."

I'm curious as to why this statement is true! I have never been on a folding bike before. What am I missing out on?
Old 09-05-20, 07:12 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
That is only true depending on the ride, the bike and the rider. Such blanket statements drive me nuts. All bikes and almost all rides are fun or at least a new experience. Roger
Old 09-05-20, 07:47 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
My folding bike is fun, or at least it was until I found I averaged about 1mph slower than on my regular bike. Then I weighed each of them and found the folder was 7 pounds heavier. Dang IGH and steel frame with hinges. Maybe some variations are lighter but have other compromises.
Old 09-05-20, 10:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Endorphins..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-06-20, 02:22 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Its physics: small wheels have less inertia and less gyroscopic effect than bigger wheels this change the behavior of the wheel and influence the behavior of the bike.

But of course the whole frame design has also an influence on the behavior of the bike, not only the wheels size.
Old 09-06-20, 10:45 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
It's not because it folds, it is because it has smaller wheels. Minovelos are more fun, too. Small wheel bikes and more nimble and accelerate faster. So they just feel less cumbersome than full sized bikes. I think the difference is much more notable in city riding, with starts and stops, and lots of dodging of cars and obstacles. I can't imagine they'd be more fun on rocky mountain trails, lol.
Likes For linberl:
Old 09-06-20, 01:52 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
"Smaller wheels are more fun because at any moment while on them, your next could be spent flat on your ass. In contrast, a 700c wheeled bicycle practically keeps itself upright."

-Unknown
Old 09-06-20, 02:05 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Nyah
"Smaller wheels are more fun because at any moment while on them, your next could be spent flat on your ass. In contrast, a 700c wheeled bicycle practically keeps itself upright."

-Unknown
Smaller wheels are more fun because you can just put your feet down and be instantly stable. A 700c wheeled bicycle makes an endo a much more painful experience.
Old 09-06-20, 03:55 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Smaller wheels are more fun because you can just put your feet down and be instantly stable. A 700c wheeled bicycle makes an endo a much more painful experience.
Having taught several older folks to ride , the ability to do this is under rated for noobs who are getting their sea legs
I am getting older and stiffer, and the step through is appreciated

The other thing is having a bike in your trunk makes casual riding on impulse, right there at your fingertips

What is "twitchy" to some is nimble to those who can use it to advantage.
Old 09-06-20, 06:59 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Every bike is stable when your foot is down.

In my experience, a smaller wheel bikes is slightly more endo prone, because objects on the road are bigger relative to the tires. The opposite side of this idea is why 29ers took over mountain bikes... the bigger wheels roll over stuff more securely.

Old 09-06-20, 07:24 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by seat_boy
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Every bike is stable when your foot is down.

In my experience, a smaller wheel bikes is slightly more endo prone, because objects on the road are bigger relative to the tires. The opposite side of this idea is why 29ers took over mountain bikes... the bigger wheels roll over stuff more securely.
If you've gone over the bars on a smaller wheeled bike, you must be really talented, lol. I'm a senior citizen, and every time I've encountered something that created instability, I just hit the brakes and let the back of the bike hit me in the butt while planting both feet solidly on the ground. Worst I've ever had was a small butt bruise from the nose of the saddle. Same with emergency stops in front of cars - just stand hard and fast and hang onto the bars.
Old 09-06-20, 08:33 PM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
If you've gone over the bars on a smaller wheeled bike, you must be really talented, lol. I'm a senior citizen, and every time I've encountered something that created instability, I just hit the brakes and let the back of the bike hit me in the butt while planting both feet solidly on the ground. Worst I've ever had was a small butt bruise from the nose of the saddle. Same with emergency stops in front of cars - just stand hard and fast and hang onto the bars.
I must be talented. I hit a pot hole in the rain and sailed over the bars on my Brompton. It's not that hard to do. I do think the Brompton rules in the downtown traffic.
Old 09-07-20, 08:57 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
I must be talented. I hit a pot hole in the rain and sailed over the bars on my Brompton. It's not that hard to do. I do think the Brompton rules in the downtown traffic.
Ooh, sorry that happened to you. I've hit some big potholes in the dark on my Bike Friday pakiT but never endo'd. Maybe the much lighter bike weight has something to do with it since the wheels are the same size. I've always been able to plant and hang on, although I've come close to the ground sideways once or twice; my core isn't all that strong but fortunately the legs manage.
Old 09-07-20, 10:33 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Ooh, sorry that happened to you. I've hit some big potholes in the dark on my Bike Friday pakiT but never endo'd. Maybe the much lighter bike weight has something to do with it since the wheels are the same size. I've always been able to plant and hang on, although I've come close to the ground sideways once or twice; my core isn't all that strong but fortunately the legs manage.
No the heavier the bike the less likely. Its a matter of the height your center of gravity. I may be taller and that may make a difference. I have had it happen twice. In the second case I thought I could go over the lip in the curb and misjudged.
Old 09-07-20, 11:33 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
No the heavier the bike the less likely. Its a matter of the height your center of gravity. I may be taller and that may make a difference. I have had it happen twice. In the second case I thought I could go over the lip in the curb and misjudged.
I get the heavier the bike thing except that I can control and hold a lighter bike, not a heavier one. Without the human element, sure the heavier bike is less likely to flip. But my ability to hold and control is definitely improved by the lighter weight. And I am sure you are taller than me, damn near everyone is, lol.
Old 09-07-20, 04:47 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
These are all kind of inter-related but, I find folders more fun because:
- It’s more likely to be me when I need it.
- I can take it more place.
- Eliminates theft anxiety if I don’t need to lock it outside unattended.
Old 09-07-20, 10:07 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by reppans
These are all kind of inter-related but, I find folders more fun because:
- It’s more likely to be me when I need it.
- I can take it more place.
- Eliminates theft anxiety if I don’t need to lock it outside unattended.
Those are all reasons that I want one. As soon as someone offers a convenient, secure fold (e.g. Dahon or Brompton) with proper drop-bars and chromoly frame/fork, I'll put my order in for one.
Old 09-08-20, 02:50 AM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
You'll never see such discussions in road bike forums. That's why folding bike have more fun. :-)
Likes For GTA:
Old 09-08-20, 04:26 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Those are all reasons that I want one. As soon as someone offers a convenient, secure fold (e.g. Dahon or Brompton) with proper drop-bars and chromoly frame/fork, I'll put my order in for one.
Build one from a dahon speed or a dahon vitesse
Old 09-09-20, 08:27 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
riding one makes me feel and look like a clown at a circus = more fun
Old 09-11-20, 12:30 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by Fentuz
Build one from a dahon speed or a dahon vitesse
It's my fear of the unknown. Is it easy enough to make the handlebars be at the height that I want them to be, such as level with my chosen height for the saddle? I'm 5'6" and have a 29.5" inseam, if that helps to know.
Old 09-11-20, 01:42 PM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
It's my fear of the unknown. Is it easy enough to make the handlebars be at the height that I want them to be, such as level with my chosen height for the saddle? I'm 5'6" and have a 29.5" inseam, if that helps to know.
well it depends of your “diy” skills and tool box. There is nothing difficult and everything challenging is on youtube. I knew very little about bike mechanic 1 year ago and with covid restrictions, I rebuilt 3 bikes from bear frame with the help of youtube.

regarding the handle heights, there are adaptors, the genuine dahon/tern are good, the litepro i had was not for this application (see helios TT subject).

by the way, nice rides in your part of the world

Last edited by Fentuz; 09-11-20 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 10:53 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Can easily bring on trips.
Quick handling a plus in crowded cities.
Old 09-13-20, 02:20 PM
FoldingSpace

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
I found my Tern eclipse p20 - despite having 26 inch wheels- is waaaaaay more controllable than my full sized bike and the center of gravity lets me balance at a full stop much more easily- also more flingable in the bmx sense for hopping curbs and potholes.

so I guess I agree but it’s not just the wheel size.
Old 09-14-20, 12:39 AM
Boat_Ship

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been riding my old 26" wheels bike for many years (more than 7) but I bought, recently, a new 16" wheels folder as my pet bike.

My pet bike is cute and adorable both folded and un-folded, I have been spending time to play around with her at home as much time as riding her outside.

When we go out while not riding, we can go anywhere without any problem as my girl is small.

No matter we are having meals together in a restaurant or walking shops in a mall, we are always having fun and being so happy together.

Also, occasionally we enjoyed admiration or compliments of others the beauty and cutie of her look.

I am regularly buying accessories for my pet bike as well and I still not fed up with doing that... ...yet.

But I still love my old bike...
Oh man !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.