Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Winter Build Project

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter Build Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 07:04 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Winter Build Project

I would like to buy a frame and build it up. With my current road bike, I can only use tires up to 25 mm. This will change. I am considering an inexpensive steel frame and fork. Among some of my questions, the following is most important. This frame and fork is for quick release wheels. I remember reading that this can have safety issues with disc brakes. Any insight into this will be appreciated.
Old 11-17-20, 07:35 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
If the frame is made for disc wheels, you should be fine. The problem is that the disc forces pull the axle out of the front dropouts if the skewer is not attached properly. It is not a problem on the rear. If the front dropouts are angled forward a bit, this is not a risk.

Just get a closed cam (Shimano) and don’t file off the lawyer tabs, and it will not be a problem.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 11-17-20 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 08:06 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
If the frame is made for disc wheels, you should be fine. The problem is that the forces and pull the axle out of the front dropouts if the skewer is not attached properly. It is not a problem on the rear. If the front dropouts are angled forward a bit, this is not a risk.

Just get a closed cam (Shimano) and don’t file off the lawyer tabs, and it will not be a problem.
Thanks for the informative reply. I tried to post a link to the frame, but was not allowed to do so. I don't think that the fork dropouts are angled forward, and I don't know whether there are lawyer lips.
Old 11-17-20, 08:10 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What is your overall budget? Don't scrimp on the frame. Why not through-axles?
Old 11-17-20, 08:13 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I think the concerns about discs for a winter bike are moot. Whether or not you’re dealing with salt, the squeal makes them horrible unless you’re a huge fan of early White Zombie and A*** C***. Salt will gum up pads into uselessness. In the wet, just the same as with rim brakes, you have to have the brakes on for 1.5-3 rotations before the braking surface is wiped clean enough for a consistent and predictable modulation and/or stop.

A plain old Tektro dual pivot with KS salmon pads will work fine on an alloy wheel. Velocity Chukker rims are pretty good in winter conditions. Any old road/touring frame will work, but a Surly Cross Check will be reasonably trouble free.
Old 11-17-20, 08:14 AM
daniell

perhaps the frame can be found by googling it.

Breezer Radar Frame/Fork

Old 11-17-20, 08:41 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What is your overall budget? Don't scrimp on the frame. Why not through-axles?
I was thinking that I would be better off with through-axles.
Old 11-17-20, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
perhaps the frame can be found by googling it.

Breezer Radar Frame/Fork

There have been countless Radar frames thru the last 5 years. Some are QR and some are TA. I havent seen any QR that have forward facing dropouts, but it certainly shouldnt be a dealbreaker if the frame otherwise fits all your wants and budget. As mentioned, just use some Shimano skewers to give a stronger/tighter hold vs the cheap external cam skewers that are popular now.
Old 11-17-20, 08:56 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There have been countless Radar frames thru the last 5 years. Some are QR and some are TA. I havent seen any QR that have forward facing dropouts, but it certainly shouldnt be a dealbreaker if the frame otherwise fits all your wants and budget. As mentioned, just use some Shimano skewers to give a stronger/tighter hold vs the cheap external cam skewers that are popular now.
Soon I should reach the 10 post threshold. Then I can post links.
Old 11-17-20, 09:12 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
I would like to buy a frame and build it up. With my current road bike, I can only use tires up to 25 mm. This will change. I am considering an inexpensive steel frame and fork. Among some of my questions, the following is most important. This frame and fork is for quick release wheels. I remember reading that this can have safety issues with disc brakes. Any insight into this will be appreciated.
Buy an All-City frame. The Zig Zag runs around $1,300.00
Old 11-17-20, 10:05 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
The Breezer Radar Expert appears to have front-facing dropouts. The photo below appears to be a prior year model, and I doubt that they would go backwards with this feature. You'll be fine.
Old 11-17-20, 10:56 AM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
There are disc bikes out there that still use QRs. I just bought a new Soma Fog Cutter frame & fork. It's a QR disc brake frame and the front dropouts are definitely front-facing. I think Surly's are setup the same way.
Old 12-03-20, 01:58 PM
daniell

Now that I can post links, this is the frame that I am considering for a Winter project. As I previously mentioned, I am concerned about the safety of QR hubs on a front fork. I don't the know orientation of the dropouts on the fork. https://www.bike-gears.com/product/b...ar-frame-fork/
Old 12-03-20, 08:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Now that I can post links, this is the frame that I am considering for a Winter project. As I previously mentioned, I am concerned about the safety of QR hubs on a front fork. I don't the know orientation of the dropouts on the fork. https://www.bike-gears.com/product/b...ar-frame-fork/
Based on the picture, the fork dropouts are rear facing. Just zoom in and you can see that.
That doesnt mean you shouldn't buy the bike, it just means you need to make sure your front hub is wells secured to the fork.
A Shimano internal cam QR is good to use here since it has a higher clamping force than the common external cams used on wheels now.
Old 12-04-20, 03:09 AM
daniell

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Based on the picture, the fork dropouts are rear facing. Just zoom in and you can see that.
That doesnt mean you shouldn't buy the bike, it just means you need to make sure your front hub is wells secured to the fork.
A Shimano internal cam QR is good to use here since it has a higher clamping force than the common external cams used on wheels now.
Thanks, I wonder whether the dropouts have lawyer lips.
Old 12-04-20, 07:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
The frame is built to use disc brakes, so I would assume it is safe.

I have QR skewers on discs on my Fuji Sportif and I have not died yet. So obviously either I am about to die, or it is quite possible to safely use QR skewers.

From the site:
Breezer Radar Pro Frame
The Ultimate Adventure
Breezer constructed their new Radar Pro Frame with double-butted chromoly to offer riders a comfortable and sturdy bike that’s as reliable as it is fast. Water bottle mounts let you carry hydration along easily, and disc brake mounts give you excellent braking control. With clearance for tires up to 29” x 2.1” you have a wide array of choices. Go wide and knobby or narrow and slick. The wide range gearing will get you up steep grades, even when the Radar is packed down with gear. And as far as that goes, it can carry a lot of gear. So pick one up, and get ready for your next adventure.

Features
Double-butted chromoly is light and super strong
Disc ready to give you excellent stopping power
Wide clearance fits tires up to 29”x2.1”
Accessory mounts are built to hold plenty of gear

I cannot imagine that Breezer, a long-respected frame manufacturer, would deliberately design a bike to use discs Unsafely.

I would buy the frame, build the bike, and ride the snot out of it without a worry.
Old 12-04-20, 09:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Thanks, I wonder whether the dropouts have lawyer lips.
I would assume so as thats a pretty standard feature for safety.
Old 12-04-20, 09:38 AM
daniell

I cannot imagine that Breezer, a long-respected frame manufacturer, would deliberately design a bike to use discs Unsafely.
Boeing built a plane that was unsafe.
I would buy the frame, build the bike, and ride the snot out of it without a worry.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-20, 10:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Boeing built a plane that was unsafe.
There is a key word in the first quote that makes your response meaningless.
Old 12-04-20, 12:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

I think it is easier to design a run-of-the-mill bicycle fork than it is t design a cutting-edge commercial flying machine .... a few more variables with one over the other .....

But look, I am not just an empty talker. I put my money where my mouth is.

Build the bike and send it to me. I will test it exhaustively, risking my health and safety, to prove my point and to ease your troubled mind.

I won't even charge you.
Old 12-04-20, 12:27 PM
Maelochs

And don't ship it on one of those crashing Boeing jets ....
Old 12-04-20, 09:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My touring bike uses disc brakes and QR wheels (actually both of them) and I never have had an issue though truth be told I would rather have thru-axles just because it does make wheel alignment easy and less fiddly. However again have not had issues yet.

The bike sounds like it could be fun. I love a good parts build I really want to upgrade some stuff on it at points but it would ruin the vibe of the build though maybe one day I will decide to do it.