Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I might be developing a stem cap fetish!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-19-21, 11:07 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts

As I’ve been sitting around for about 5 weeks now waiting for the various bits needed to complete a new bike build, I’ve had plenty of time to obsess on every aspect of the bike, and think of ways to fine-tune or customize it. Bits like aluminum and titanium bolts in various anodized colors, getting the right type of matte finish on headset spacers and seat clamp...stuff like that. Most surprising to me, though, has been my discovery of a new world of headset caps!

I’ve paid headset caps mind before, so that there are options didn’t surprise me, but that my go-to supplier, Kustom Kaps, was out-of-stock on what I wanted lead me to explore other options, and boy, there’s a wild world of headset caps out there bigger and more extensive than I knew! I’ve got color matched caps, caps with contrasting bolts, custom lettered caps, and a one-piece, concave cap/bolt combo from Absolute Black, but if you don’t know, there are tons of multi-color, laser etched, patterned and textured stem caps out there!

Long story short, I found the perfect cap for my purple Paul Boxcar stem, and it has a matte finish checkerboard to match the frame finish and headset spacers! I got it from some folks called PurelyCustom.com.

I never spent so much on a cap and bolt before, but they look great and I’m all in now, looking at my older bikes’ stem caps with some disappointment!

Old 02-19-21, 11:18 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Hot.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 02-19-21, 11:22 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
That's pretty cool...now you have to get purple hubs lol
Old 02-19-21, 11:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
KustomKaps is where all the ones i have were purchased. My kids have em too- they geek out on little personalized things like that. The color matches your stem which is for sure a sigh of relief when you opened the package.

That stem's cnc'd lines are interesting. The angled lines look like they were done by hand since they dont exactly align with the straight lines, yet they are all perfect relative to the other angled lines. I cant stop looking at them because they are imperfect yet perfect. Very neat visual.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-19-21, 12:01 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by jadocs
That's pretty cool...now you have to get purple hubs lol
For sure! But...I’ll probably cheap out and just go with a purple spoke or two!
Old 02-19-21, 12:03 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
KustomKaps is where all the ones i have were purchased. My kids have em too- they geek out on little personalized things like that. The color matches your stem which is for sure a sigh of relief when you opened the package.

That stem's cnc'd lines are interesting. The angled lines look like they were done by hand since they dont exactly align with the straight lines, yet they are all perfect relative to the other angled lines. I cant stop looking at them because they are imperfect yet perfect. Very neat visual.
Yeah, the stem does have that “wabi sabi” thing goin’ on!
Old 02-19-21, 12:08 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts

Yup. They will even do designs you submit. I have a few of them. I have one for my Dean that I designed. The color matches one of the colors in the red/blue/yellow/green decals on the bike. I’ve used those four colors throughout the bike. The stem cap is part of the handlebar plug/stem cap/handlebar plug/seat post clamp color points.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I had a much more elaborate cap made for my Moots using a Moots stem cap as a guide.

I even had handlebar plugs made. Those were a bit trickier since I wanted the alligators to both face forward. The left one was the tricky one to design.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-19-21, 12:38 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
As I’ve been sitting around for about 5 weeks now waiting for the various bits needed to complete a new bike build, I’ve had plenty of time to obsess on every aspect of the bike, and think of ways to fine-tune or customize it. Bits like aluminum and titanium bolts in various anodized colors, getting the right type of matte finish on headset spacers and seat clamp...stuff like that. Most surprising to me, though, has been my discovery of a new world of headset caps!

I’ve paid headset caps mind before, so that there are options didn’t surprise me, but that my go-to supplier, Kustom Kaps, was out-of-stock on what I wanted lead me to explore other options, and boy, there’s a wild world of headset caps out there bigger and more extensive than I knew! I’ve got color matched caps, caps with contrasting bolts, custom lettered caps, and a one-piece, concave cap/bolt combo from Absolute Black, but if you don’t know, there are tons of multi-color, laser etched, patterned and textured stem caps out there!

Long story short, I found the perfect cap for my purple Paul Boxcar stem, and it has a matte finish checkerboard to match the frame finish and headset spacers! I got it from some folks called PurelyCustom.com.

I never spent so much on a cap and bolt before, but they look great and I’m all in now, looking at my older bikes’ stem caps with some disappointment!

as Mr. Levenstein would say, that's perfectly natural and normal
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 02-19-21, 12:41 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
I was pretty impressed by the details, finish, and beauty of this Campagnolo top cap:

I also like the simplicity and light weight of this unit:

absolute black top cap
Old 02-19-21, 12:43 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This is one of my faves, the literal encapsulation of my thoughts as I struggle to hang on the back of my fast group rides!

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-19-21, 12:53 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Nice Paul stem, by the way. I have lots of stuff from Purely Custom as well. I really like their barend plugs
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-19-21, 12:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I was pretty impressed by the details, finish, and beauty of this Campagnolo top cap:

I also like the simplicity and light weight of this unit:

absolute black top cap
That Campagnolo 2-piece is clean!

I have an AB from a few years back, without the concentric circles machining. I bet that extra work shaved at least a gram! 😉

Old 02-19-21, 01:36 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
...No one seems to have noticed that OP has the world's best headset, too.
Old 02-19-21, 03:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
...No one seems to have noticed that OP has the world's best headset, too.
A few of my bikes have headsets that are numerically only 36.36% as good as the world's best.
Old 02-19-21, 03:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
My guess is there is a few of us here maybe one or two who enjoy beverages typically topped off with a bottle cap:
https://ninerbikes.com/products/yawyd
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-19-21, 03:42 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
How 'bout the old René Herse stem caps with the owner's name engraved?

https://www.renehersecycles.com/the-...se-randonneur/
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 02-19-21, 03:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
A few of my bikes have headsets that are numerically only 36.36% as good as the world's best.
Ditto.

One of my bikes even has a headset that’s only 9.09% as good. And that’s still good enough.
Old 02-19-21, 04:09 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
As I’ve been sitting around for about 5 weeks now waiting for the various bits needed to complete a new bike build, I’ve had plenty of time to obsess on every aspect of the bike, and think of ways to fine-tune or customize it. Bits like aluminum and titanium bolts in various anodized colors....cut
Wow! thats looks awsome. I must find something too since i'am kinda crazy for little custumization about colors on my bike.

cyccommute i saw your dean photos on Flickr and it's amazing , definitely one of the most unique customization i've seen in a while. good job
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 02-19-21, 05:36 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My guess is there is a few of us here maybe one or two who enjoy beverages typically topped off with a bottle cap:
I like! I’d probably pop a Bell’s Third Coast cap on there:

Likes For chaadster:
Old 02-19-21, 05:57 PM
TooLegit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
OP stem cap is nice!
Likes For TooLegit:
Old 02-19-21, 10:46 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Question: I installed my stem using the top cap to set the bearings before tightening the side bolts of the stem. Now to install a new custom cap, is it as easy as removing and replacing>

Does it not affect the bearing setting doing so?
The stem cap doesn’t do much of anything after the stem is tightened. Loosening the cap won’t have any effect on the bearings. The stem holds the bearings at the preload you’ve set it at.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-19-21, 10:54 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Ugh! Why?! Why?! Why did you have to post that? Why?!
Old 02-19-21, 11:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I like! I’d probably pop a Bell’s Third Coast cap on there:

That is a purdy cap. I might have to seek out this Bell's Third Coast.

Originally Posted by phughes
Ugh! Why?! Why?! Why did you have to post that? Why?!
Who me??? Lil' old innocent me? Not me? I would never post anything

Also if a cop stops you while drinking you can just say you are decorating your bike. That isn't a crime...heheheh
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-19-21, 11:52 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Thanks! Looks like a cool idea but wouldn't want to mess with the headset bearings. Since it is that easy, I just might look into it!

A friend has used these guys. Cool stuff, a bit expensive but customized letters etc.

https://kustomcaps.com/collections/graphic-caps
The caps and end plugs that I posted in post 7 came from them. Both of them are my own (adapted) design.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 02-20-21, 12:17 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Was in a hiking shop recently and noticed the Suunto Clipper compass. Clip part removed I thought it would make a cool stick on (velcro?) over my gravel bikes' top cap.

Have seen other cheap looking compass top caps.

But then I think maybe the compass will not play nice with the phone in the top tube bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.