Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever heard of Di Salle Bicycles? Vintage Campy Group Set.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-21, 06:20 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts

I just finished overhauling a bike of a manufacturer I have never heard of. The bike just says "Di Salle" on the down tube and the head tube says Di Salle Bicycles, Toronto Canada. Based on looking at velobase.com, the bike is equipped with what I believe is a full Campagnolo Chorus group set from the late 80's to early 90's. This includes BB, hubs, shifters, derailleurs. cranks, seat tube, brake set, stem, head set, and pedals (which I added). It has Campagnolo Omega rims. It has a Atax Franco Italia D352, Guidon Phillippe Handlebar? It had a Brooks team professional saddle but I changed that out as I want to keep the saddle and the bike does not fit me.

I bought this in dirty condition at an estate sale and could not get any information on its history. Does anybody know anything about this bike or the builder? Is my identification of the components correct? I notice the frame lugs appear to be hand tapered at the ends, which makes me think it is hand built and maybe this was maybe a custom bike builder and not a larger manufacturer. I assume the frame is of a similar age as the components. I also want to know what it would be worth and thought of putting it on the "What's it Worth forum, but I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about the bike first. It is in very good condition after complete disassembly and heavy cleaning and getting all the carnalized​​​​​ grease out of the bearings.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 02-24-21 at 08:05 PM.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 02-24-21, 08:48 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
My brother had a custom Di Salle touring bike built in Toronto back in the 1970s. I believe he only built customs and my brother really liked the bike before it was stolen. If you like, I could ask him for more details.
Old 02-24-21, 09:07 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
T-Mar probably knows about that brand, but it sure appears to be a custom build. The red is beautiful. And the Campy bits are extremely nice and clean. Should get some attention for sure.
Old 02-24-21, 09:32 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by bertinjim
My brother had a custom Di Salle touring bike built in Toronto back in the 1970s. I believe he only built customs and my brother really liked the bike before it was stolen. If you like, I could ask him for more details.
I actually just found in an online magazine archive, a 20 April 1989 now magazine had a list of Toronto Bike stores and had this:

I know it is hard to read, but I looked on Google Maps and there is a Cannabis Store there. I think this is all I needed but thanks for your input.
Old 02-24-21, 09:38 PM
bikeaddiction1

Originally Posted by TugaDude
the Campy bits are extremely nice and clean.
When I do a vintage bike I take them completely apart right down to the bearings and soak and clean and sometimes polish everything. I've got it now so I can do a bike in eight hours or less if, and it is a big if, I don't have to clean up too much rust or stickers or spend time getting parts. Fortunately this bike and the components where in good condition and cleaned up with a bit of elbow grease and polish, and degreaser for the bearings.
Old 02-24-21, 10:24 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1078 Post(s)
Liked 1,896 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
Is my identification of the components correct?
Pretty much. The headset is Record, because I don't think there was a Chorus headset.

The RD might be Record too. The differences between Record and Chorus RD's of that era are subtle, but the Chorus usually had a cone shaped pinch bolt nut. Although there's every chance it just got a different nut put on.

How's the shifting in index mode? The RD is technically 8 speed, I think, but you're running a 7 speed freewheel by the look of it.

Stem looks like a Cinelli 1A.

Beautiful bike.

Last edited by P!N20; 02-24-21 at 10:30 PM.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 02-25-21, 06:18 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Di Salle was a small custom frame building and repair shop in the Greek Town area of Toronto. I recall the company logo being a Griffin, similar to what Gardin used. I may be able to dig up some info from my old OCA/CCA literature.

The subject frame appears to be very late 1970s to very early 1980s based on the Portacatena dropout and cable routing over the BB shell. Had it been closer to the mid-1980s, I would have expected a front derailleur braze-on, a pump peg and two sets of bottle bosses. Speaking of the latter, they are interesting in that they appear to be male studs, which has me leaning towards the earlier end of the date range. The components definitely post date the fame and appear to be a mix. The brakes appear to be Athena, as they're not a mono-planar design.

Last edited by T-Mar; 02-25-21 at 06:21 AM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-25-21, 06:32 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
I lived literally a few blocks south of that Danforth St address and never saw one. Weird. Looks really fine.
Old 02-25-21, 09:27 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Beautiful bike!
The groupset is highly desirable for some folks - the post C-Record Synchro era but pre-Ergo era sweet spot, where aesthetics and performance converge.

Spot-on insight from T-Mar on the likely late 70's frame date.
The groupset is worth keeping for a great late 80's / early 90's build, or could garner pretty good money on eBay on its own.

Great find!!!!

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-25-21 at 09:31 AM.
Likes For canyoneagle:
Old 02-27-21, 04:20 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Here's a Di Salle business card from my files. I found a few advertisements and listings in old OCA/CCA literature from the mid-1980s but they didn't contain any additional information.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-27-21, 08:10 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
That is a beautiful bike. And I don't like red bikes.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 02-28-21, 03:09 AM
Ross200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
That groupset looks good on the bike it is on!
Likes For Ross200:
Old 03-19-24, 08:42 PM
Paddyosonic

Bikes: one 'mystery' titanium mtb, (+ 1 spare frame of same) one tiny, old rusty GT mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know Danny DiSalle. Framebuilder, luthier, inventor. I remember seeing the machine shop he had in his basement. He could make all kinds of things, not just bike frames. Definitely the mind of an engineer. Really nice guy. Taught me a lot about bikes. The nickle-chrome finish road bikes he made were my favorites. He eventually drifted away from framebuilding and moved on to other things. That red DiSalle is a really nice find!
Likes For Paddyosonic: