Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

espresso city 800EQ

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

espresso city 800EQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-21, 10:10 PM
kevin bignld

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
espresso city 800EQ

I purchased 2 x espresso city 800EQ bikes February 2018 (see invoice attached) these were purchased through Bike Barn Napier. I had a problem with one of the Battery’s within the warranty period I took this back to Bike barn who gave me a replacement battery.

3 weeks ago I had a problem with the same battery, basically as soon as the peddles are pushed the computer shuts down, I contacted your office and Matt advised me to get in touch with a dealer. He said Shimano will not deal with the public only a dealer. However may have warranty battery’s.

We are traveling the South Island at present therefore took the Bike into Bike it now in Clyde.

They checked the bike and agreed the Battery is the problem, Dave has been very helpful checking into how he can help us, they spoke to me today and advised there are no new battery’s in NZ and the next shipments are due in September, Dave spoke to a friend at a university who advised he has had problems with the Sony PCB’s in these batteries and has tried to repair them without luck as the PCB are not available.

Bike Barn do not exist anymore therefore cannot go back to them for assistance.

The battery is not that old.

We understand there are PCB problems with these battery’s but the cells are still good

We do not use the Bikes in the winter therefore they have not had much use.

A whole battery has to be replaced due to an relatively inexpensive PCB part (the cells are ok) therefore seems to be a waist scrapping good cells.
Old 03-20-21, 07:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Unfortunately most manufacturers don't want you prying apart batteries and replacing parts but Shimano is good at supporting their customers but getting parts right now is tough. You may just have to wait or find other shops with batteries and buy one outright or see if there is anyone who does battery building and except the fact you are almost certainly going to void warranty on the battery and rest of system.

In terms of winter storage keep your batteries at 60% charge or so. Don't leave the cells full but don't leave them empty either just check them every so often and maybe turn them on and charge a little if you aren't using them.
Old 03-21-21, 09:53 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. The battery can almost certainly be repaired without scrapping the cells, but sounds like you are stuck dealing with a manufactured part with a deficient design. It might take them some time to issue a technical fix, which unfortunately is of zero help to you in your current situation.

It is almost certainly possible to replace the PCB with a different battery management system. Would be a pretty common thing in the DIY community. But you should not have to do this and doing so will unquestionably void any warranty on the expensive battery. If you could go back to the original bike shop one would think they could pull a battery off another unit in the shop, but that would be an unreasonable request of a shop that did not sell you the bike.

It is this sort of thing that makes me glad I don't worry about warranty repairs, although with something as expensive as a battery I might be more insistent they make it right.