Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Good 26mm Road Bars

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Good 26mm Road Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 07:15 AM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 15 Posts
Good 26mm Road Bars

I have a Trek 5200 circa 2000 that has 26mm bars. They are the old-fashion type that slopes down towards the hoods instead of being more level like modern bars. I find this to be really awkward / uncomfortable.

Does anyone have recommendations for a 26mm bar that would be shaped a little more like modern bars? I find it hard to get a good sense of the shape from pictures online…

It's an old bike so I am just looking to spend in the neighborhood of $50.
Old 03-24-21, 07:20 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Nitto M151 or Nitto M177
Old 03-24-21, 08:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Modern? I just thought they were slightly different styles to fit slightly different tastes and needs of the rider. I thought we had them BITD and they were modern then.

Whatever you get, you need to make sure you get the correct reach and drop for you. All the modern in the world won't help if you get those wrong.

But if you are going to only be on the bike for 20 minutes to an hour, I suppose anything will work if it makes the bike look good and you "feel" good about it.
Old 03-24-21, 11:02 AM
Ferguron

Bikes: '15 Giant Propel Advanced SL1, '17 Trek Madone RSL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks...those look like what I am looking for...especially the M177.

I see that Nitto also has an M184 that looks really too good but does cost twice as much...I'll have to think it over.
Old 03-24-21, 11:07 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/highway-1-bar

comes in black or silver. modern compact bend with the drops extending back a bit too. ive owned 3 sets of them and still have 1 on a bike. hoods can be mounted level with the ramps.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-24-21, 01:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/highway-1-bar

comes in black or silver. modern compact bend with the drops extending back a bit too. ive owned 3 sets of them and still have 1 on a bike. hoods can be mounted level with the ramps.
I have a set of the HWY1 bars in 26 and they are an excellent example of the bars the OP is looking for. And they look nice and aren't expensive.

I also have a set of Civia Emerson in 26 and they are nearly identical in shape, drop, reach, etc. to the HWY 1 bars. I can't remember but one or the other was a few grams heavier than the other, but very, very little difference.

Just did a quick web search and they might be discontinued. But if you find a pair, they are just like the HWY 1.

This is what the HWY1 and/or Emerson will look with modern shift/brake levers:

Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-24-21, 09:01 PM
@work
Local 1212

Bikes: Moser Track, Colnago Dream Track, Merckx Roadie and Rossin Bar Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have a set of the HWY1 bars in 26 and they are an excellent example of the bars the OP is looking for. And they look nice and aren't expensive.

I also have a set of Civia Emerson in 26 and they are nearly identical in shape, drop, reach, etc. to the HWY 1 bars. I can't remember but one or the other was a few grams heavier than the other, but very, very little difference.

Just did a quick web search and they might be discontinued. But if you find a pair, they are just like the HWY 1.

hot damn
Likes For @work:
Old 03-24-21, 09:07 PM
@work
Local 1212

Bikes: Moser Track, Colnago Dream Track, Merckx Roadie and Rossin Bar Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Got the Soma bars as well. Very comfortable.
Old 03-25-21, 08:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo

I should have said with this post: This is not my bike! I wish it was, but it is not. I did a search for images for the bars in discussion just to show what they look like on a bike, and came up with this beauty. Sorry! (sorry that it's not my bike!)

I have my Emersons installed on a bike and could have taken a picture of it, but it's a dirty gravel bike and has bar end shifters in this particular iteration, so wouldn't be a good example of what the OP is looking for. I have the HWY1s in reserve for my next build.... soon I hope!
Old 03-25-21, 08:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
I have Highway Ones on 3 out of 6 bikes. In fact I just used one to replace a Cinelli Giro d'Italia - exactly the kind of downward sloping bar the OP described.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles