Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Hubby Hubs / Bearings

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Hubby Hubs / Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-12, 03:00 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hubby Hubs / Bearings

Hey Dudes,

I've been away from this lovely interplace for a while, but not far from my bike...which brings me to this post.

A long time ago, i thought Surly Hubs were great... how very wrong I was. Don't get me wrong, the HUBS are great, it's the bearings that are less than awesome. Basically, here is the situation I currently find myself in- the bearings in my hubs are going to crap. I have my wheels tightened to my frame correctly, but the wheels are moving side-to-side. Slightly at first, but more and more as I've ridden it over the last couple weeks. My bike mechanic friend - who is much much smarter than myself - was saying that this isn't uncommon for the Surly Hubs. Soooooo I was at Orange 20 last night and found out I can get the bearings replaced in both hubs for relatively cheap- the reason I'd prefer doing this than buying a new hubs is simple - it's cheaper... and I mean come on, if you're going to buy new hubs, you should probably just buy new rims, and spokes / a whole wheelset right?

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else here has had a similar experience or had bearing recommendations for said hub.

PS. I really dig the look of the Surly hubs, as they are high flange and don't have any cut outs- another reason i want to keep them.

cheerio.
Old 02-03-12, 03:43 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hear Surly hubs crap out a lot actually.
Old 02-03-12, 04:08 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
it's a common problem with the old surly hubs. i think there's a fix for it but it's basically the cost of formula hubs. also, formulas now have a solid flange option. or if you can find IRO hubs, they are that way too.
Old 02-03-12, 04:10 PM
cocchiarell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your bearings arent adjusted correctly
Old 02-03-12, 04:11 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Replace the bearing and be done with it. While you are at it, upgrade the bearing to better ones like phil wood.
Old 02-03-12, 04:18 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
bearings wear out. i've had it happen on my surly's and my paul hubs (though the paul's took longer). you want the PWX01 bearings, which are made to fit in surly hubs. they are less than $10 a bearing ring.
Old 02-03-12, 04:56 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
bearings wear out. i've had it happen on my surly's and my paul hubs (though the paul's took longer). you want the PWX01 bearings, which are made to fit in surly hubs. they are less than $10 a bearing ring.
you sir. are a gem. thank you.
Old 02-04-12, 09:02 AM
hank0604

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've actually got the same problem in my rims right now. I know that the cup/cone style bearings can be cleaned and adjusted, but that cartridge bearings have to be replaced. Problem is, I don't know which type of bearing I have. It's the stock wheelset from the 2010 Globe Roll, does anyone happen to know?
Old 02-04-12, 09:10 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aren't Surly track hubs made with adjustable bearings?

https://surlybikes.com/parts/hubs

Do you have them adjusted correctly? That should eliminate side-to-side play unless I'm missing something...
Old 02-04-12, 11:27 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I said it before and I will say it again. The Surly track hubs suck, yes, the "new" ones. Whodafuk decided to make a cartridge bearing hub that is adjustable like a cup and cone? Aside from that, the cone/threaded bushing/sleeve thing and locknut always went out of adjustment. I cannot explain it, I use cup and cone on all my other wheels. Replace the hub and be done with it

The inner race of the bearings have no support so if hub develops some play or the somehow starts to bind the bearings will be ruined

Last edited by hairnet; 02-04-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-04-12, 11:46 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
hey man, bite your tongue! that old as dirt O.M.A.S front hub i found digging through a parts bin at the shop has cartridge bearings with cups,cones and locknuts. its also got a titanium axle. i mean, obviously here the answer is that ITALIANS DO IT BETTER.
Old 02-04-12, 12:08 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

But are the inner races supported?
Old 02-04-12, 12:13 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
im going to assume so. once you take off the outer cones and locknuts, the axle doesnt move and i dont really see how to take the bearings out. so i just threw a bunch of phil grease in there and readjusted everything. its still smooth and isnt gritty so whatever.
Old 02-04-12, 12:14 PM
motrheadsroadie

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
its like that but without the qr
https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponen...10&AbsPos=1561
Old 02-04-12, 12:17 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Sweet
Old 02-06-12, 05:18 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no. the surly hubs are not good. i don't mind eating my words when i'm wrong. however, i am going to try and replace the bearings with what my friend wearyourtruth said - because that's cheaper than buying a new wheelset.

and yes, i recently had the bearing thing cassette adjusted... but i know the bearings are dying. i can feel it in my bonez.
Old 02-06-12, 05:39 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Meh. I have a pair of surly hubs with more than 20,000 miles, several thousand of those miles in rain, snow, and slush. They roll as smooth as the day i bought them....never touched the cones or locknuts. Another set with over ten thousand miles..as good as new. Surly hubs are good hubs, they just aren't idiot proof. Poor cone adjustment leads to premature bearing death.
Old 02-06-12, 06:21 PM
Wil
Brake chatter on CX forks

Bikes: '04 Kona Jake, '05 Kona Stuff, '07 Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bearing that Surly spec on their track hub is an "angular contact bearing". I know this, because when I had a rear Surly hub, it too (well, the drive side bearings), destroyed itself. When I brought it into a bearing shop, after my LBS, using the serial number on the surviving cartridge bearing, was unable to order another set. I did not buy the wheel at that bike shop, I bought it from a dude at another bike shop.

With the serial number of the bearing, I went to a bearing shop here in Toronto. The dude at the counter told me that the serial number was for angular contact bearings. He explained to me what angular contact bearings were. In a nutshell, they are designed to accept loads vertically/radially and laterally/axially, where many cartridge bearings are only really designed to accept loads vertically/radially.

It is in that sense that Surly has adjustable cartridge bearings. If you've ever taken a hub apart, you should understand.

I no longer use that wheel anymore: I got sick and tired of replacing the bearings every 7-ish months. I built another wheel with a Dura Ace hub (loose ball, cup and cone) and I repack/overhaul it every 3-4 months, depending on weather conditions.