Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commute Addiction

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commute Addiction

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-24, 11:38 PM
Thigh Master
No Pain, No Pizza

Bikes: 2015 Tarmac Pro Disc, '99 Burley Duet, '10 Velo Vie Vitesse 300R, '94 Trek 2120, '90 Cannondale SR 600, '79 Ross Super Gran Tour, '76 Raleigh Record

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
I came across this thread I began nearly 15 years ago! After many years commuting in the Bay Area I moved back to the Boulder, Colorado area. I’m 60 now and still a commuting addict!
Likes For Thigh Master:
Old 04-16-24, 02:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,442 Posts
I get lazy or demotivated at times. A few months ago, I noticed how my health and happiness improve with increased bike commuting. It made me see that it's not just a fun indulgence, it's a necessity. I'm glad I'm able to do it. I'm sorry for those who can't.

I could take fitness or recreational rides, and I do, but I couldn't put as many miles on doing that. Combining exercise and commuting is more time efficient and more motivating. I get a huge sense of satisfaction from doing something useful with my body. No one (except for me) needs me to have fun. But there are people who need me to get to work and home, so it feels more useful. I can't schedule enough rides to get in the same number of miles if I were not commuting to work by bike some of the time.

Thank you for reviving your thread, @Thigh Master. I also joined BF in 2009.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 04-18-24, 09:51 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 203 Posts
I saw this thread was from '09 and was glad when I jumped to the end to see you're still around and still commuting. Now, I'm about the same age you were when you started this thread and I'm really into using my bike as a car replacement whenever possible. My commute is only 4 miles/day, so not much, but I still feel more energetic on those bike commuting days. I end up getting a lot more miles by running errands and shopping on the bikes.

By the way, I'll be visiting Boulder in mid-June this year. Taking a road trip with my 12 year old daughter and I read that Boulder is one of the top bike-friendly cities in the country, so we're spending a day or two there just to check it out. We'll pack our two folding eBikes. I'm a little afraid of all the climbing there might be, as I'm from the flatlands. Can you give me some good routes to look into? Maybe recommend a map or share some GPX or FIT files with me?