Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

How do you use e-power on your e-bike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

How do you use e-power on your e-bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-20, 04:34 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
I have two bikes, a DAS-KIT hub drive and a Bosch Mid Drive. Both operate differently, but the power level for the DAS-KIT is hidden in a password protected menu. The PAS on the DAS-KIT always puts out the same power except when close to the max restricted speed, then it fades out. The PAS on the DAS-KIT basically sets the top speed when pedaling. So if I'm riding with a group I set the PAS to match the speed everyone is riding. If alone I typically set it to max PAS, which gets me to about 24mpg with easy pedaling.

The Bosch mid drive is my mountain bike and I usually ride it in EMTB mode. Which scales the percentage of motor input to rider input based on how hard the rider pedals. This gives a very natural feel to the motor. IOW you don't feel it kicking in. It just feels like you are stronger. The other modes like ECO, TOUR, and TURBO add a fixed percentage based on how hard you pedal. Versus the EMTB mode that scales that percentage.
Old 03-12-20, 06:15 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
Still watch cagers like a hawk. NEVER trust a driver. I haven't got 100 miles on the bike yet so I am still experimenting. Have come close to getting creamed while commuting in the last 14 + years. One must watch if one is on two wheels. Same, only more so, on a motorcycle. Be Well, Live Long, Bluesfrog.
My Dad's version of defensive driving (he also put a lot of miles on a motorcycle, as a younger man) is "Assume you are invisible; assume everyone is trying to kill you, regardless of the first point; assume everyone on the road, yourself included, can and will do the most unbelievably goddamn stupid thing possible at any given moment".

So far so good.
Old 03-12-20, 06:50 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
The Bosch mid drive is my mountain bike and I usually ride it in EMTB mode. Which scales the percentage of motor input to rider input based on how hard the rider pedals. This gives a very natural feel to the motor. IOW you don't feel it kicking in. It just feels like you are stronger. The other modes like ECO, TOUR, and TURBO add a fixed percentage based on how hard you pedal. Versus the EMTB mode that scales that percentage.

I have the Bosch Performance Line CX drive unit on my commuter bike, and I tried out the EMTB mode to see what it was like. It was interesting and I can definitely see how it would be great for technical trail riding! Unfortunately the reason I myself need the e-assist is usually that I have pedaled partway up a hill and my legs have given out, so I don't *have* the extra oomph needed to get the EMTB mode to give me more power... so that lasted about a week and I put it back into the fixed-percentage assist.
Likes For Buglady:
Old 03-13-20, 04:10 PM
MNebiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
My Dad's version of defensive driving (he also put a lot of miles on a motorcycle, as a younger man) is "Assume you are invisible; assume everyone is trying to kill you, regardless of the first point; assume everyone on the road, yourself included, can and will do the most unbelievably goddamn stupid thing possible at any given moment".

So far so good.
Your Dad is a wise man.