Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Madison love

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Schwinn Madison love

Old 11-12-18, 02:07 PM
ecsjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
"Will be building this 2010 up sometime this winter."

That's my favorite Madison color.
Old 11-12-18, 06:11 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Originally Posted by ecsjr
"Will be building this 2010 up sometime this winter."

That's my favorite Madison color.
Cool machine! I saw yours in the thread when I revisited these pages. Been looking off/ on for just a frame sale for awhile. Finally pulled one out of LA by way of a good friend.

Love the maroon as well though my favorite colour is brown. Size is great for my fit too. I plan on going all black with the Madison and switching my 2014 chrome Rush to silver components.

But for now I wait...
Old 03-15-19, 11:44 AM
3speedslow

No rear cabling. Need to get the 31.8 clamps from the LBS.

ATM, I think the badge will stay.

Love this burgundy colour. Really comes out in the sunlight.
...and indeed I did wait. My choice though, I would rather ride the great beaters i have through the winter.

But it is Spring! Time for the 2010 Madison to roll out. This is the first parts grab and build version. Might last awhile, might get changed out quick. First ride was really impressive. Smooth, quick and the fit is good.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 03-15-19, 02:01 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow

Love this burgundy colour. Really comes out in the sunlight.
...and indeed I did wait. My choice though, I would rather ride the great beaters i have through the winter.

But it is Spring! Time for the 2010 Madison to roll out. This is the first parts grab and build version. Might last awhile, might get changed out quick. First ride was really impressive. Smooth, quick and the fit is good.
What a beauty... the polished bits on the front fork really do it for me.
Old 12-17-19, 07:39 PM
3speedslow

Any Madisons still rolling the roads? Still on mine!
Old 02-16-20, 03:33 PM
oouellette

Bikes: '86 Madison + '86 Prelude + '93 Mulitrack + '20 Cross Check

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 13 Posts
2020 Edition

Made some small updates to my 1986 Madison including Nitto B305AA bars, 28c Pasela PT, and gold Izumi chain. Enjoy

Likes For oouellette:
Old 03-21-20, 02:28 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Blue madison

Looking for a blue 53, 54cm Madison. If anyone has a complete bike in great original shape let me know.
Old 05-26-20, 04:58 PM
3speedslow

I could not ask for a better work bike!

Dinking beer after work at the boss mans house.
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 05-27-20, 06:07 PM
3speedslow

KlunkerBiker

No thoughts of using pursuit bullhorn bars?
Old 05-28-20, 08:35 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by KlunkerBiker
No, not so much. In the past I have tried several types of pursuit bars on other bikes and never could find a comfortable position other the center of the bar. I should probably just put the original track bars back on and get into better shape 😬
I happen to like that ergo-ish kind of bar that's on there now - have similar on a couple of my old steelies, including my sw8 phiksie...

If you are planning on keeping the brake it shouldn't be too hard to find some decent hooded levers, bartape, and a bit of cable...easy install and voila - you are ready to go.

Have fun - ride safe...
Likes For IAmSam:
Old 11-11-20, 09:41 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had perused this thread earlier this past spring when I was thinking of getting back onto a ss/fg. I converted an '84 Takara Prestige (basically a Schwinn Traveler with cheaper crankset, if you're familiar with the Schwinn/Giant story) and used it as a fixed-gear winter beater for my first two winters in Pittsburgh. I then moved to the top of Cardiac Hill, stopped riding it, and rebuilt it back into its geared configuration for a co-worker after his bike was stolen. I had missed riding fixed even though it had been less than a year, and considered building or buying a nicer rig and not using it as a winter bike. Did lots of research, heavily considered looking for a Madison, but then really started liking the stuff that Wabi was offering. Wished they came in purple. THEN, corona landed and I figured I shouldn't be making any big purchases while income was in a lowered state.

Then came this summer, when my friend's dad basically gave me an '86 Raleigh Super Course. Purple. 531 tubing. Horizontal dropouts. Perfect single speed candidate, so I thought. But then I fell in love with it and the Suntour Cyclone groupset that it came with, and I've been riding it like that ever since. First old road bike I've come across that I didn't immediately feel like restomodding.

Fast forward to October. I'm building bikes for a bunch of friends and co-workers, constantly looking on craigslist and what do I find? A 2008 Madison in my size. So I had to have it. It had some damage on the seat stay from a previous theft attempt, but otherwise looked great for having been someone's only bike for 12 years. I took it out on its first longer ride two days ago, still basically set up the way the original owner had it just to see what I wanted to change. It fits well, just needs a 1cm shorter stem that also looks better (already ordered), a different saddle (I have my choices lined up), and am going to try riding with some Origin8 Urban Pro riser bars since I've only ever ridden fixed with drop bars. I hadn't counted the gear teeth until after I rode it, but apparently 49/18 is way too low. I kept spinning out everywhere, could hardly keep up with traffic, and even made it all the way up Cardiac Hill with relative ease. Got a 53t ring on the way to give me the ratio I think I want (hoping it fits the frame, which apparently it should*) because I wanted a lighter colored chainring anyway. If that doesn't work, I'll go 17 on the back instead.

We'll see where this goes. I'm excited.

Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
I know a 53 will fit:
​​​​​​​but just barely...depending on the cranks, you might get a bit of paint to chip off.
Likes For JMONAY: