Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Przewalski sizing recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-20, 02:28 PM
alandmor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

I've read enough good things about the Przewalski brand I'd like to give their winter tights a try. From what I gather, they run a bit large and it's best to get a size or two smaller than normal. I'm ca. 6' 2", 198 lbs., 36" waist, 34" inseam. Any recommendations on a size(s) to try? I'll probably order two and plan on returning one of them. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-20, 03:05 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I am 6'1" and 185 with a 33" waist and I went with a large. It is perfect.
Old 02-14-20, 03:43 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
I have a pair of these......
Przewalski Men Bike Pants, Long Thermal 3D Padded Cycling Tights Leggings Brushed Fleece Breathable (New)Very warm

It`s just my 2 cents , but I`d go with XLarge.
Because of the Fleece Lining, I did get some shrinking. I think after numerous washings, the XLarge will be just right on you.
Old 02-15-20, 12:56 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I haven't tried their tights yet. I have their original shorts with the orange 3D pad in medium and small. Both fit well, but the small gives a little more compression on my skinny bird legs without being too tight in the waist. I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, 30" waist. I'd probably try the small if I wanted more compression, but I'm sure the medium would fit me as well. Too much compression on my lower legs and feet with compression socks tends to constrict blood flow to my toes on cold rides.
Old 02-15-20, 01:10 AM
CohenS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 02-15-20, 03:36 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by alandmor
I've read enough good things about the Przewalski brand I'd like to give their winter tights a try. From what I gather, they run a bit large and it's best to get a size or two smaller than normal. I'm ca. 6' 2", 198 lbs., 36" waist, 34" inseam. Any recommendations on a size(s) to try? I'll probably order two and plan on returning one of them. Thanks in advance.
i do not know anything about Przewalski Winter Tights, but to get the proper fit with their Bike Shorts I got a size
a full 5" smaller then my actual waiste measurement then the maximum on the size chart for that size. You have the right idea. Use your best judgement to pick the right sizes to try, 2 even 3, and try them all on at the same time so you can compare them and use Amazon Prime to return the other two for free. That way you can not make any mistakes...Thanks,mjac

Everyone,including me, says they make good quality stuff and the absolutely best stuff for the price. It is not even close.
Old 02-15-20, 11:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Looked at the 4D version.. wow, that's a thick chamois.. 13cm (roughly 5") !

Old 02-15-20, 05:22 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by alandmor
Any recommendations on a size(s)
No, but if you report back which works I'll probably order that too
Old 02-15-20, 07:19 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by Sy Reene

Dude, they look thick in the picture and they look thick in the shorts. They ride like a dream. The more I ride with them the more I love them. You literally forget you have on shorts and forget there is a pad in the shorts. This sounds like an exaggeration,but it is not. They are that good. You add the fact they cost $27.99 and you are looking at the best value in shorts on the planet...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-15-20, 08:07 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Dude, they look thick in the picture and they look thick in the shorts. They ride like a dream. The more I ride with them the more I love them. You literally forget you have on shorts and forget there is a pad in the shorts. This sounds like an exaggeration,but it is not. They are that good. You add the fact they cost $27.99 and you are looking at the best value in shorts on the planet...Thanks,mjac
fwiw, I was making fun of their diagram, where i think they indicate each pad thickness at 10x what they really meant (ie. 8mm, not 80mm, etc). There's no way the pad is really 130mm thick. Hopefully they haven't also mistranslated 'asbestos' as 'polyester' lol.
Old 02-15-20, 09:45 PM
mjac

fwiw, I was making fun of their diagram, where i think they indicate each pad thickness at 10x what they really meant (ie. 8mm, not 80mm, etc). There's no way the pad is really 130mm thick. Hopefully they haven't also mistranslated 'asbestos' as 'polyester' lol.
I did not look that deeply into your post. I thought it was a general comment. But you have a point, 4" and some change would be quite a thick pad. Didn't realize you were making fun. But have to come to the defense of Przewalski, a company that does what it says it is going to do without being wrapped in a bunch of marketing and promotion. Got to love it...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-16-20, 03:16 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

It's difficult to judge pads used by Przewalski and Spotti by the nomenclature they use because the "3D" and "4D" Dupont CoolMax pads in my shorts and bibs look nothing like that photo of a red pad on a couple of Amazon listings.That red pad looks more like what Black Bibs uses. Good, but not as comfy as the orange pad or newer two-tone yellow/gray pad used by some Przewalski and Spotti shorts and bibs.

The earlier Przewalski shorts from around 2018 used an orange pad with relatively little sculpting. It's thicker and denser all over but very comfy, which makes up for the diaper-like bulk.

I wish I'd ordered their bibs and padded thermal tights with the same pad back then. Those are unavailable now, replaced by the "4D" pad that's two-toned yellow/gray, with the same thickness for the sit bones, but much thinner in non-pressure areas.

2018 era orange Pro Tech pad, described as "3D" by Przewalski. Appears to be another Dupont product. Thick but very comfy.

The "4D" pad is also Dupont CoolMax, but thick only in the sit bones and much thinner elsewhere. Same material -- unusually smooth and friction-free surface, with golf ball type pockmarks, yet outstanding at wicking sweat, and all day comfort.

The "4D" pad now used by Spotti and some Przewalski shorts, bibs and tights. Also very good.
Old 02-16-20, 06:00 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
It's difficult to judge pads used by Przewalski and Spotti by the nomenclature they use because the "3D" and "4D" Dupont CoolMax pads in my shorts and bibs look nothing like that photo of a red pad on a couple of Amazon listings.That red pad looks more like what Black Bibs uses. Good, but not as comfy as the orange pad or newer two-tone yellow/gray pad used by some Przewalski and Spotti shorts and bibs.

The earlier Przewalski shorts from around 2018 used an orange pad with relatively little sculpting. It's thicker and denser all over but very comfy, which makes up for the diaper-like bulk.

I wish I'd ordered their bibs and padded thermal tights with the same pad back then. Those are unavailable now, replaced by the "4D" pad that's two-toned yellow/gray, with the same thickness for the sit bones, but much thinner in non-pressure areas.

2018 era orange Pro Tech pad, described as "3D" by Przewalski. Appears to be another Dupont product. Thick but very comfy.

The "4D" pad is also Dupont CoolMax, but thick only in the sit bones and much thinner elsewhere. Same material -- unusually smooth and friction-free surface, with golf ball type pockmarks, yet outstanding at wicking sweat, and all day comfort.

The "4D" pad now used by Spotti and some Przewalski shorts, bibs and tights. Also very good.
'

The "Lime Green" colored pad is the one I have in my Winter Riding Tights.

I plan on ordering another pair, but I`d like to get the same in a pair of summer bike shorts. Does anyone know if they are in a pair summer shorts??
Old 02-16-20, 07:19 PM
mjac

Is the second picture the two tone yellow/grey pad? Can you get the two tone yellow grey pad in shorts? What is the first picture? It is not the Orange or the yellow/grey, what is it?...Thanksmjac
Old 02-16-20, 08:47 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'

The "Lime Green" colored pad is the one I have in my Winter Riding Tights.

I plan on ordering another pair, but I`d like to get the same in a pair of summer bike shorts. Does anyone know if they are in a pair summer shorts??
Hard to be sure. I'd post a question on the Amazon page and wait for the seller to reply to be sure. Customers might say yes or no, but their info might be out of date. The seller is usually pretty responsive.
Old 02-16-20, 09:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by mjac
Is the second picture the two tone yellow/grey pad? Can you get the two tone yellow grey pad in shorts? What is the first picture? It is not the Orange or the yellow/grey, what is it?...Thanksmjac
Yup, the second photo is what the Przewalski and Spotti seller on Amazon calls the "4D" pad. It's what my Spotti capri length bib shorts have. Very good pad. I wore it today for a 35 mile ride, and have worn it for a couple dozen 20-50 mile rides since autumn.To me it looks sorta hi-viz yellow/gray. But hi-viz makes color perception tricky and some colors described by manufacturers as yellow look green to me, and vice versa.

Here's a photo of my original Przewalski shorts with orange "3D" Pro Tech pad from 2018, and the Spotti capri bibs with yellow/gray "4D" pad, labeled DuPont Coolmax -- and notice that the Spotti bibs are labeled Przewalski inside (upside down script logo).

The P shorts have been worn a lot, but don't show much wear, including the saddle contact area. I hand wash most of my bike kit, either in "free" liquid detergent (no dyes, softeners, etc.) for routine cleaning, or Tide Ultra for when stuff gets really funky. Supposedly detergents with dyes and softeners can hinder the advantages of tech fabric and compromise wicking, water resistance, or make snug fitting compression gear get saggy. I haven't had any problems but I try to use whatever dye and softener free liquid detergent the store carries from Tide, Gain or Arm & Hammer.

Przewalski shorts (L) with orange "3D" Pro Tech pad. Spotti bibs (R) with yellow/gray "4D" DuPont Coolmax pad. Both pads have similar fabric, density, dimpled surface, etc., but the 4D pad is thick only in the sit-bone area, thinner elsewhere. Both are good but I still prefer the orange pad.
Old 02-16-20, 09:43 PM
mjac

Yup, the second photo is what the Przewalski and Spotti seller on Amazon calls the "4D" pad. It's what my Spotti capri length bib shorts have. Very good pad. I wore it today for a 35 mile ride, and have worn it for a couple dozen 20-50 mile rides since autumn.To me it looks sorta hi-viz yellow/gray. But hi-viz makes color perception tricky and some colors described by manufacturers as yellow look green to me, and vice versa.

Here's a photo of my original Przewalski shorts with orange "3D" Pro Tech pad from 2018, and the Spotti capri bibs with yellow/gray "4D" pad, labeled DuPont Coolmax -- and notice that the Spotti bibs are labeled Przewalski inside (upside down script logo).

The P shorts have been worn a lot, but don't show much wear, including the saddle contact area. I hand wash most of my bike kit, either in "free" liquid detergent (no dyes, softeners, etc.) for routine cleaning, or Tide Ultra for when stuff gets really funky. Supposedly detergents with dyes and softeners can hinder the advantages of tech fabric and compromise wicking, water resistance, or make snug fitting compression gear get saggy. I haven't had any problems but I try to use whatever dye and softener free liquid detergent the store carries from Tide, Gain or Arm & Hammer.

Przewalski shorts (L) with orange "3D" Pro Tech pad. Spotti bibs (R) with yellow/gray "4D" DuPont Coolmax pad. Both pads have similar fabric, density, dimpled surface, etc., but the 4D pad is thick only in the sit-bone area, thinner elsewhere. Both are good but I still prefer the orange pad.
Okay, the first picture is the older model 3D Pad that was not sculpted. The one you liked. You kept calling it the Orange Pad and I got confused with that and the current 4D Orange Pad. Two different things. The second picture is the two tone yellow(Green) Grey Pad that is a little thinner then the latest Orange Pad. I was going to ask you if it is available in any shorts but the 4D Orange Pad I have now is so comfortable I do not know why I would ask. I probably like the extra padding...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-17-20, 09:19 AM
mjac

Isn't the old orange unsculpted pad from 2018 basically the 3D Pad today?....Thanks,mjac
Old 01-16-22, 05:23 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Finally gave some Przewalski "thermal black" tights a try. They came with a very sculpted red pad, I believe the "4d pad"

Compared to size large in Baleaf which fits a hair loose but comfortably, a large in these felt as if they'd been sprayed on and shrank as they dried, but I decided that as long as I could get into them, that was okay, maybe even good.

Main dislikes so far are that the ankles are very tight - I actually ended up wearing even my inner my socks over them, though putting socks on first might work. Also I feel like they could be a little bit longer in the back, and that's even when using them in a fairly upright riding position.

Felt like I might be feeling a little more chafing with them, but only set out for a brief 14 miler to tackle a local hill in the bitter cold, so hadn't really used chamois cream generally, plus new stuff only washed once and never previously worn is more likely to do that. I did note that on mine the stitching veers just inside the edge of the pad in a spot, I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be an issue.

I wouldn't call the thermal flock lining particularly warm - I mean, they're not colder than other tights, but not much warmer either. As I'd expected to, I wore a pair of running tights over them, and tried stuffing some various experiments (bits of fleece blanket, finally that plus some plastic bag for wind block) in between the two layers at knee level for some extra warmth.

Arrived home to find my untouched water bottle had partially frozen.

Last edited by UniChris; 01-16-22 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 06:29 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I can't help with the tights. The bibs to me seemed to fit between U.S. and Euro sizing. The mediums on me (5'10", 175 lb) were tighter than expected but not too tight. If you're used to high-end cycling clothes with a racing/Euro cut then you may right, the Przewalskis may fit a little bigger/looser.