Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-06-19, 08:15 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Post season break action right now. Beer is nice.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 09-06-19, 11:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Been wanting to do under overs sometime after all the 3x8's and some tries at 3x10. Found a GCN video that does them. Chose a good power and hit it.

I think I need to do a better job warming up, in general. Before the group ride I've either done a hard workout earlier in the day OR I ride about 5mi solo around town before.

Some of my lunch workouts it's a 4min easy spin and right into it. I think I'm only shooting myself in the foot not doing proper/longer/stronger warmups for some of these workouts.

I think I'll repeat that video once a week now for a while and add a rep to the video OR up the power a touch in the sets over time.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-06-19, 12:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Was on the Zwifter last night due to needing to get in a quick workout in a tight time window because of family logistics. I'm envisioning a lot more time on it this winter because of a change of assignments at work. I think I might break down and get a smart trainer after all.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-06-19, 12:40 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Gym leg workout last night and today, Mount Soledad climbing. The first time up, my legs felt like dog meat. The second time was not so bad. It was hot in LJ today.
Old 09-06-19, 06:52 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Had my hip drained yesterday. They pulled out about 90ml of fluid, and now I'm wearing a pile of gauze under compression shorts and have an ace bandage wrapped around my waist to try to keep pressure on it to prevent it form re-filling. It feels weird.

Also had my suture ends removed and was cleared to go without the sling - though I still need to wear it in public places to prevent any injury should someone bump into me.
Not too bad, they pulled out about 200mL on me the first time.
Old 09-08-19, 11:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Wow. 90 was one and a half very large syringes.

It was much larger a few weeks ago and had gone down some after riding last weekend, but I was glad they drained it. The compression wrap is annoying, but it does not seem to be refilling, which is good.

In other news - I drove today. By myself.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-09-19, 08:22 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Good to hear of your recovery
Old 09-09-19, 08:26 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday. The goal was a 2 hour endurance ride along the coast and then a gym workout. I headed north along the ocean and the wind was a cross tail and maybe 10 mph. I get to Oceanside Harbor and see that I have 53 minutes. I figure I will need more time on the way back. I decide to do some tempo low cadence work on the return leg riding in the drops. It took 53 minutes to get back to the start so the added power and lower position negated the wind.
Old 09-09-19, 07:36 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Hillclimb Worlds was going to be my last race, and they rescheduled it....from Sept 21 to Oct 19. So I'm kinda pissed, its the last event of the season and in SoCal we start racing in January so that's only 15 weeks. I'm on the fence if I'm going to call it a season.

Its not even the training, I really don't care to calorie count for another month or so. I enjoy the training (even on the trainer) I can do without the intense scrutiny I put on my diet.
Old 09-11-19, 08:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Did 5x3min at lunch and tried a bonus #6 and that was a big nope.

Skipped the evening roadie group ride and met up afterwards for beers so I could do cross practice instead. Aired the tires out by 8psi and that felt a lot better. As to faster, I tried to zoom in to get my splits from my race to compare to the practice. The times overall seemed about 20 seconds better per lap. Even with some of those laps at a "tempo" pace not hammering the straights. I also did barriers until I didn't want to see another one for a while.

Looking up the winner of the 3/4 race who rides road with us sometimes, I did lose time in corners comparing to him. But not as much as I assumed. The bigger aha moment though was seeing how much the virtual gap grew on the fast/straight sections that weren't technical.

I was only like 16 to 18mph on those straights and he was 18 to 21mph. I felt too gassed to get it up that fast on the straight sections.

Still lots and lots to figure out. I think a goal would be to find 30 sec per 7:30 lap.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-11-19, 09:20 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Did 5x3min at lunch and tried a bonus #6 and that was a big nope.

Skipped the evening roadie group ride and met up afterwards for beers so I could do cross practice instead. Aired the tires out by 8psi and that felt a lot better. As to faster, I tried to zoom in to get my splits from my race to compare to the practice. The times overall seemed about 20 seconds better per lap. Even with some of those laps at a "tempo" pace not hammering the straights. I also did barriers until I didn't want to see another one for a while.

Looking up the winner of the 3/4 race who rides road with us sometimes, I did lose time in corners comparing to him. But not as much as I assumed. The bigger aha moment though was seeing how much the virtual gap grew on the fast/straight sections that weren't technical.

I was only like 16 to 18mph on those straights and he was 18 to 21mph. I felt too gassed to get it up that fast on the straight sections.

Still lots and lots to figure out. I think a goal would be to find 30 sec per 7:30 lap.
I'm in the same boat, trying to see what type of low hanging fruit there might be to shave off some seconds per lap. Power-wise I should be good enough to mix it up with the podium guys, and I'm not technically very sloppy, although perhaps too cautious, which might be why I never crash. I'm going to try lowering the psi to high 20's front and about 30 rear (from 30f/35r) for Sunday's race and see how that works out for me.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-11-19, 09:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I'm in the same boat, trying to see what type of low hanging fruit there might be to shave off some seconds per lap. Power-wise I should be good enough to mix it up with the podium guys, and I'm not technically very sloppy, although perhaps too cautious, which might be why I never crash. I'm going to try lowering the psi to high 20's front and about 30 rear (from 30f/35r) for Sunday's race and see how that works out for me.
Exactly. The 3/4 guy I'm comparing to does have a slightly broader engine. He's got more overall volume under his belt. I've got the same level of intensity and near identical power, but that overall volume still counts for a good bit.

I'm guessing even if not just a couple ticks per part of the course slower cornering, I'm gassed from making up from that. Where he may very well be resting in some of those corners and then able to hit the gas on the way out. Where instead I'm gassed and not able to due to my overall inefficiencies.

One thing I didn't mention was that on race day I blew a lot of energy twice to try to regain positions. I did the race the 2nd day, so no callup. I was behind a guy or two that just would NOT gas it for the first pinch/corner. Then, I'm left sprinting two to three sections two laps in a row to try to catch up or pass some folks.

If on that first sprint I got around, I could have saved myself three sprint digs of around 15 to 20 seconds a piece. That would have been worth a LOT of energy divided up over the race.

I know crap happens in both cross and road racing that affect outcomes, but for cross I can appreciate my input to individual skills a lot more than "getting lucky" in a road race or just gross power and money spend in a time trial.
Old 09-11-19, 11:40 AM
topflightpro

BTS, groups rides do not equal races, so just because you can hang with a guy in a week night ride has very little bearing on how you will do in a race. I think you need to stop looking at the categories of other riders and spend more time racing.
Old 09-11-19, 12:59 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by topflightpro
BTS, groups rides do not equal races, so just because you can hang with a guy in a week night ride has very little bearing on how you will do in a race. I think you need to stop looking at the categories of other riders and spend more time racing.
You comment on a lot of my stuff in a lot of BF topics about this. I don't even think you read into what I wrote this time, but went to the default response.

I chose the "3/4 guy" to show that I don't have the skills or experience. It feels like you're insinuating that I think I should be able to hang with the guy on the track because I can on a group ride. That's pretty much the opposite of what I was getting at.

If you know someone can make it through a technical section a lot faster than you, you're not as good at those skills that section demands of you. If cat 3/4 guy smokes you by 10 seconds in a pretty short area, that's a light bulb of "hey, I suck at whatever skill that section is challenging".

There is zero harm in looking at what others are better than you at so you can figure out where to focus improvement.

If the laps show every time you went by that section, the faster race categories really got you bad........you should pay attention. Other areas there might be negligible difference for parts of the course.

I can go out and do "junk laps" all day long. But that doesn't seem too bright. But if I know that I suck at that off-camber section, I'm going to go re-ride that area and try to find some time.

That's what I'm looking at.

I don't think the default answer is always just as simple as "race more" without looking into (or asking) about what I'm talking about.
Old 09-11-19, 02:42 PM
topflightpro

BTS- Perhaps I misinterpreted your posts.

Will you be racing Saturday? It's a very different course and you might have a different perspective after.
Old 09-11-19, 05:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

2x20' at lunch. Got them done. Feels good to hit targets again.
Old 09-13-19, 04:16 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
My doc informed me that a lot of the KOM's in my part of town are held by a guy on a high-end E-bike. I'll start doing base rides after I take a few of those segments.
Likes For Cypress:
Old 09-13-19, 05:11 PM
caloso

Attaboy!
Old 09-14-19, 06:37 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
openers for tomorrow's CX race. My basement got in the low 60's in the first time in forever and it makes a big difference vs 70+ degrees, I feel. I did 2x3min @ 100% (310) and I wasn't really hitting threshold HR (164 or 165) until the end, whereas the same workout last week had me at 169bpm at the end of the 2nd interval. I'd been going through a bit of a crisis of confidence with my training zones as of late, so hopefully the cooler fall weather approaching will help me question myself a little less!
Old 09-14-19, 07:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

2.5 hour ride on Thursday with a couple of guys. It started with me and friend doing laps around Fiesta then another guy joined us for a ride around town on the bike paths. The laps around Fiesta were solid but the bike path was 80 to 100 watts. This was a time in the saddle (TITS) ride to burn some calories for me.

Yesterday was a leg workout at the gym that included the standard stuff.
Old 09-14-19, 01:16 PM
furiousferret

Went down on the trail. There was a service truck so I went around it, but there was cut concrete on the other side and I didn't notice in time but was able lean back enough I didn't get seriously hurt. Front wheel is gone, bent derailleur hanger, I think everything else is okay. Pics are on my strava.

Funny thing is, I ride that trail because its safer, but I crash more there than anywhere else.
Old 09-16-19, 11:50 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Probably Sanford and certainly Raleigh again.

Once they startup the other stuff, definitely Lyons (spelling?, Lions).

Just like everything new, new things take learning and finding your place. So far, I am liking it. Especially knowing that even for my lifestyle I can do lots races close by.

I think I'll get over the oval track crit thing and go out there this winter for that very reason. Like cross, I mean, it's just 30min for my Cat. Doesn't take much out of the day. I got to see that with the first cross race.

Goal is to do 4 cross races this year. Raleigh was one. Another Raleigh and Sanford would be 2/3, and Lions would be a 4th.

Otherwise, training wise this week I'm going to try to fit in some good TSS and SS work overall. Been several weeks of all out stuff. First workout was 2x20 plus 5min @ 91%. They say 84 to 94%. So that slots in there. I think I may use the dumb trainer some for Zwift also to help the boredom of some SS. I watched the women's cross race replay on Youtube, good stuff!

Oh, yesterday stole back a 1.5mi very varied KOM I had lost. Proud of that effort, I had to sit on the curb after that one. I took 20 seconds off the old KOM. It's a hilly loop, so no wind help. Three other top 10's overall. Coulda bagged one, but it was part of the loop and had to hold back.

One or two I want to steal back I need some more watts in that 3min range. Probably around 400 to 420 for right at 3 minutes while at 69kg. Yuck. Those got stolen by some of the "big boys" around town. Stole my lunch money!
Old 09-16-19, 01:34 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Went down on the trail. There was a service truck so I went around it, but there was cut concrete on the other side and I didn't notice in time but was able lean back enough I didn't get seriously hurt. Front wheel is gone, bent derailleur hanger, I think everything else is okay. Pics are on my strava.

Funny thing is, I ride that trail because its safer, but I crash more there than anywhere else.
Is there a Strava group for the 33, or do I have to search you all out individually?

Glad you got away with only broken bike stuff.
Old 09-16-19, 03:03 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by Cypress
Is there a Strava group for the 33, or do I have to search you all out individually?

Glad you got away with only broken bike stuff.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2708445168
Old 09-16-19, 03:06 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by furiousferret
That's some LEGIT damage. Followed!
Likes For Cypress:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.