Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any benefit to higher gearing than you can ride on flat good roads?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 08:24 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Pretty much what the title asks: is there any benefit to having higher gearing than what you can comfortably ride unloaded on flat good roads on a touring bike?

After getting in a couple hundred miles on my latest touring build, I have realized I am in my highest gearing quite a bit in said conditions. It is 42x14 on 26" tires, which comes in about 78GI, running comfortably around the 17-18MPH range. I can't see myself regularly going faster than that, and to be honest, once loaded, feel that is an absolute best case.

Is any practical use case that I am not considering (i.e., pedaling downhill) that it would be worth a bit higher gearing, or any other advantages from having higher gearing that what I am currently getting use out of? There are a few cassette options where I could knock the high gearing down to 11-12 (98-90GI, respectively) and either not change or slightly improve my bottom end, just not sure if it is worth increasing the rather favorable spacing between gears I have currently.
Old 06-02-17, 08:32 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
95 gear inches has always been sufficient, 50:14 , 700-35 wheel.

Personally not trying to work the down hills, that's been my recovery time after the climb.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-02-17 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-02-17, 08:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Heavy motor vehicle traffic is one place where a high gear can come in handy. It is nice to be able to clear a particularly narrow section of road quickly when motor vehicles are pressuring.

Its a corner case to be sure but I have such a section on one of my regular routes - a road descends through a large residential development and narrows approaching a bridge over a creek. Motorists merge as the road narrows and I need to assert myself and take the lane. It is nice to be able to run this section at high speed.

-Tim-
Old 06-02-17, 09:02 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Is any practical use case that I am not considering (i.e., pedaling downhill) that it would be worth a bit higher gearing, or any other advantages from having higher gearing that what I am currently getting use out of? .
Yes! i would get as high of a gear as practically possible.

It is very useful if you are a slow slow cadence peddler, as I am.

Every five minutes, or so, I stand on the pedals and pedal slow slow to move my back around and take pressure off my behind.

I've always toured this way so it is a consideration.
Old 06-02-17, 09:08 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Lightly pedalling 120 gear inches with a massive tailwind is one of life's simple pleasures.
Old 06-02-17, 09:09 AM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I've always loved my 48-38-28 chain ring - with a 13-32 in back.
Less than 1-to-1 for hills (28/32); almost 4-to-1 for downhill runs (48/13).
Which is way better than 42/14.

But I prefer hilly roads with rough surfaces, too.
Old 06-02-17, 09:20 AM
IK_biker
old fart

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I benefit from higher gearing in 3 cases:

- keeping leg muscles warm and supple during long (cold/rainy) downhills by being able to at least partially exert some actual pressure on the pedals @ highish RPMs
- staying warm in high tailwinds by being able to actually exert some pressure on the pedals
- in heavy motorized traffic as someone already pointed out, by being able to accelerate on downhills to quickly clear a treacherous section.

This is why my touring bike has a 18-101 gear-inch range, and my distance bike has a 20-107 one.
Old 06-02-17, 11:07 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Even if you're not planning on pedaling hard, being able to keep some pressure on the pedals can be comfortable when going fast.
Old 06-02-17, 11:20 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As mentioned before, massive tailwinds are a good reason for high gears.

If you're on a road that's following a river downstream -- you can easily be pushing a big gear for a long time.

I've been on multiple descents that are easily a half-hour in length, or that get really really cold. Being able to actively pedal to stay warm or just keep your legs moving is nice. Otherwise you hit the next climb / flat with cold legs... trying to coax them back into action can suck.
Old 06-02-17, 11:51 AM
jefnvk

OK, thanks, some good considerations here that I had not come up with! Just gotta weigh those out, against whether losing an option from the lower end is worth a bit bigger option.

I'm in this situation because of my own stupidity, unfortunately. The cassette this one replaced actually went down to 11t, not 13t as I had thought when making the decision on a high gearing of 14t. I would have went to a 13t or 12t at least to begin with (11t was always too high) had I realized that.
Old 06-02-17, 11:56 AM
Thunder Horse

Bikes: S-WORKS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you live in flatland and you wish to train for an event that has hills, then high gear training can simulate hill climb training.
Old 06-02-17, 12:26 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Thunder Horse
If you live in flatland and you wish to train for an event that has hills, then high gear training can simulate hill climb training.
How does that work?
Old 06-02-17, 12:37 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The smaller cassette sprockets wear proportionally faster than larger sprockets, so if you're in the smaller sprockets most of the time, expect to have to replace those sprockets or the cassette more often.

And, to answer your question about how simulated hill training works, it takes a pretty high gear to simulate the effort of low-cadence hill climbing on level ground.
Old 06-02-17, 12:41 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty much what the title asks: is there any benefit to having higher gearing than what you can comfortably ride unloaded on flat good roads on a touring bike?

After getting in a couple hundred miles on my latest touring build, I have realized I am in my highest gearing quite a bit in said conditions. It is 42x14 on 26" tires, which comes in about 78GI, running comfortably around the 17-18MPH range. I can't see myself regularly going faster than that, and to be honest, once loaded, feel that is an absolute best case.

Is any practical use case that I am not considering (i.e., pedaling downhill) that it would be worth a bit higher gearing, or any other advantages from having higher gearing that what I am currently getting use out of? There are a few cassette options where I could knock the high gearing down to 11-12 (98-90GI, respectively) and either not change or slightly improve my bottom end, just not sure if it is worth increasing the rather favorable spacing between gears I have currently.

I like having higher gearing available for getting a little more speed wherever I can if I'm on something of a schedule. Or if there's a really strong tailwind. Or if I run into a particularly nasty stretch of road and want to get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

Last edited by manapua_man; 06-02-17 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-02-17, 01:16 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What about when you get more fit? Not suggesting you are not, but having ability to crank 2-3 mph faster if required when you have the legs for it may be a good thing.
Old 06-02-17, 02:05 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by nickw
What about when you get more fit? Not suggesting you are not, but having ability to crank 2-3 mph faster if required when you have the legs for it may be a good thing.
Yep, there is always that, although I was kind of more filing that under "when it happens, then I'll have all the rationale I need to go change it".

Also, it is an old MTB conversion that I put together for more rough/dirt/two-track road touring than anything. I've got my 27" road bike that goes up to a 52x14 (101GI) that is far more likely to be ridden if I am in a go fast situation.
Old 06-02-17, 02:42 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Jeff, I top out at 90 inches. Frankly I rarely us that. Coasting is really fun and I like to do it a lot. Also I read a study that says that 11 and 12 tooth rings r significantly less efficient because of the tight radius of the chain around them. It was a German study that seemed pretty efficacious, if that's a word.
Old 06-02-17, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
One thing I have done often on cassettes is run a two tooth jump to the second highest cog, like 12, 14, etc. Gives me that big gear that is sometimes useful and brings the rest down to more usable.

Ben
Old 06-02-17, 03:15 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I generally like a high of where I can pedal up to about 50-55kph or a bit more. Two of my touring bikes have a high of 103g.i and for loaded touring, this is perfectly fine for me. Slightly higher is nicer on a lightly or non loaded bike, one of my other bikes has a 50/12 with 28 slicks that is about 111 g.i. and that I can spin out to about 65 nearly 70kph.
When I say spin out, I mean around 125rpm.

Even the 103gi bikes are high enough geared that in the handful of times I have had big tailwinds, pedaling is not an issue at 30-40kph which is the most I have ever been able to hold, and even then for only short periods of time.

and as I always add, for what its worth, the fastest I have ever been on a bicycle has been on these 100-111gi bikes, well past their gearing, so its all a moot point about going really really fast, and more about using judgement for the given road conditions and wind.
Old 06-02-17, 03:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I used to use a road triple with a 52T big ring on my derailleur touring bikes, but have changed that to 46T big ring. But with an 11 and 12T for my smallest sprockets on my cassette, that still gives me higher gears than I would ever use on the flat and level with typical windage.

The 20 mile downhill to Cumberland on the GAP from the sub-continental divide was really great with my two highest gears. And the downhill on Going to the Sun road with those really high gears was pretty fun. And the 25 (plus) long shallow downhill on the south end of the George S Mickelson trail in South Dakota in my highest two gears. Plus lots of shorter downhills too, but they are less memorable than the ones I cited. I like to drop my cadence and drop my pedalling effort on such downhills, but I like to continue to pedal instead just coast. Pedaling puts more pressure on my feet and takes some pressure off the part of me that is in contact with my saddle, thus I would rather pedal than coast on those long shallow downhills, especially the ones that last for a good amount of time.

And when I stop pedaling for more than several minutes, my leg muscles start to get stiff. Going to the Sun Road, I was doing a lot of pedaling for that reason, although I did a lot of braking too, enough braking that I stopped twice to let my rims cool.

There were several times I spun out with my Rohloff bike in Iceland last summer on long shallow downhills, but with the Rohloff I would have had to raise my lowest gears to raise the highest gears and I valued the lower gears more than the high gears. Thus, I just grumbled a bit more than I normally would on a downhill about not having the gearing that I have on my derailleur bikes. (I normally do not grumble at all on such downhills.)

While I rarely use those high gears, when I use them at those higher speeds I end up using them for quite a few memorable miles.
Old 06-02-17, 04:15 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
jefnvk, My primary touring bike has a ~108 GI top and the beater/touring bike has a ~103 GI top. More than I can spool up to max cadence on level ground, but not quite enough to prevent spinning out on a good down hill run. Of course the effort to climb the hill prior to descending probably makes a difference.

I checked the touring bike's gear position from my last ride and if I hadn't changed it since, I rode into the driveway using ~62 GI... light load.

Brad
Old 06-02-17, 04:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Forgive any repeats, I didn't read most posts.

I always set up my bikes with 1-2 gears above my normal flat road cruising gear. That gives me something to use when I'm feeling my oats, or want to take advantage of a tailwind or gentle downslope.

It's also an advantage when I want to dial up the speed a bit like if I need to make up some time to catch a ferry or outrun a thunderstorm.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-02-17, 05:37 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Jefnvk, I don't see much utility with gears above 95" for touring. Last tour I had a 93" top gear and that was really only useful spinning at 30mph+ downhill when I was coasting in an aero tuck at 25mph.

11 tooth cog cassettes pretty much eliminated the need for big rings. Personally I'd rather have 12-13 teeth for small cogs.
Old 06-02-17, 06:19 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
For me while touring I've never wished for a higher gear than what I had...
BUT I've DEFINITELY wished for a lower one!

I'd always optimize for low-side, let the high side fall wherever.
Old 06-02-17, 07:14 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

i've been advocating lower max gear inches for quite a while for touring. so i agree. the only time you'll notice it, IME (and i do have some experience with this while touring) is when everybody either gets between a 15-20 mph tailwind or a long 2-4 percent descent. then they can pull away. if that's of any concern. i know this because on my last 9 day tour i met up with more than a few touring cyclists and for the most part did not lament my mid 70's GI max (pulled the two lowest cogs off of the 8-speed cassette so as to make my drivetrain a 1x6).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.