Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shimano Di2 chargers

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shimano Di2 chargers

Old 02-12-20, 05:04 PM
  #1  
bykemike 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 766

Bikes: 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Shimano Di2 chargers

Just getting my first Di2 shift bicycle. It is arriving without a charger. Price for that little charger and cable is more than I would have expected...any hints, work arounds or used chargers out there.

Actually any input about Di2 shifting would be helpful

Thanks in advance
__________________
"ready to navigate"
bykemike is offline  
Old 02-12-20, 06:12 PM
  #2  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
The charger uses a proprietary connector on the port on whatever junction box is used on the bike. You don’t have a choice.

I set my system up, played around with assorted settings, found out Shimano only lets you pick crank and cassette options that they currently sell FOR THAT SYSTEM. Limits some shifting choices, like no small ring and small or 2nd smallest cogs available. There are ways around it though, I would always do a connection with a PC, not any WiFi system as on an iOS device. There have been know instances where the system does a OS update via BT tries to update the Di2 WiFi unit, then bricks the system as BT is lost, then needs to go to a shop for a reinstall. I basically set my system up 2 years ago and have never touched it. It works great and I leave it alone.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 07:27 AM
  #3  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
SteveB is correct, both in the stated facts and his recommendation about updates: either let your shop do them when the bike is in for service, or do it via a hardwired computer. However, he did not address this: I do recommend that you spend a small bit of extra money to get the Bluetooth feature. It will allow your Di2 system to communicate with most cycling computers and is mildly useful. I’m guessing that manufacturers will introduce future integrations with other equipment, so your bike will be somewhat future proof.
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 10:38 AM
  #4  
rower2cyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 122

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Weird. My TCR came with a charger. Did you ask the shop if the bike comes without it for the particular brand? You are right it's not cheap brand new charger is 100 bucks.
rower2cyclist is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 10:48 AM
  #5  
bykemike 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 766

Bikes: 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is a second hand bike. The seller did decide to include a charger and cord, brand new, for 1/2 price. The system is 2016 and is listed on the specification form as having a Dura Ace Di2 front shifter and an Ultegra Di2 rear shifter.

I have not seen the bike but expect it to arrive today or tomorrow.
__________________
"ready to navigate"
bykemike is offline  
Likes For bykemike:
Old 02-13-20, 11:18 AM
  #6  
rower2cyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 122

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Oh I see. Still a bit cheap that he's asking you to pay for a used charger which he prolly got it for free. Anyways enjoy your new bike & Di2. Don't forget to charge it regularly even if it always seem to be over 50% after many many many many miles, then BOOM it's dead when you are 30 mile out from home.
rower2cyclist is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 11:31 AM
  #7  
jadocs
Senior Member
 
jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 1,499

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
This is a second hand bike. The seller did decide to include a charger and cord, brand new, for 1/2 price.
I find this odd unless it was explicitly stated that the bike would not come with one.

On another note, I have not had any issues updating firmware via BT/WiFi.
jadocs is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 11:54 AM
  #8  
JasonD67
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 155

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Same here, I've only updated my Di2 via my phone over BT. Never an issue.
JasonD67 is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 02:47 PM
  #9  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Seems perfectly logical to charge extra for the Di2 charger. After all, if the buyer already had a Di2 bike and hence a charger, he would then not have to purchase another one. And paying half price for a brand new charger is more than reasonable.
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 03:42 PM
  #10  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Seems perfectly logical to charge extra for the Di2 charger. After all, if the buyer already had a Di2 bike and hence a charger, he would then not have to purchase another one. And paying half price for a brand new charger is more than reasonable.
every new bike sold with Di2 comes with a charger, so the seller should include the used charger when selling his bike.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-13-20, 04:03 PM
  #11  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Seems perfectly logical to charge extra for the Di2 charger. After all, if the buyer already had a Di2 bike and hence a charger, he would then not have to purchase another one. And paying half price for a brand new charger is more than reasonable.
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
every new bike sold with Di2 comes with a charger, so the seller should include the used charger when selling his bike.
Since we have established that the charger has market value, the buyer will be paying for it one way or the other — whether the seller charges extra for it, or includes it in the bike’s price. No one is giving it away for free. I’m just saying that the former approach makes more sense generally, so that a buyer who already has a charger can save the money.
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 04:15 PM
  #12  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
every new bike sold with Di2 comes with a charger, so the seller should include the used charger when selling his bike.
Unless the seller has other Di2 bikes and needs the charger for those bikes. As well, if you buy systems as upgrades and have multiple systems, you wouldn’t be buying additional chargers, is why they sell them separately.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 04:16 PM
  #13  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Since we have established that the charger has market value, the buyer will be paying for it one way or the other — whether the seller charges extra for it, or includes it in the bike’s price. No one is giving it away for free. I’m just saying that the former approach makes more sense generally, so that a buyer who already has a charger can save the money.
Incorrect.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 05:27 PM
  #14  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,432

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2669 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 173 Posts
sounds kinda like selling a mechanical bike, but extra for the cables or brake pads.
Sy Reene is offline  
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 02-13-20, 08:03 PM
  #15  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
Since we have established that the charger has market value, the buyer will be paying for it one way or the other — whether the seller charges extra for it, or includes it in the bike’s price. No one is giving it away for free. I’m just saying that the former approach makes more sense generally, so that a buyer who already has a charger can save the money.
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
Incorrect.
In the face of such an articulate and well-reasoned rebuttal, I must concede. You really did prove me wrong.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene View Post
sounds kinda like selling a mechanical bike, but extra for the cables or brake pads.
Utter nonsense. By your logic, I should own five work stands (and five tire pumps, and five torque wrenches, etc) just because I own five bikes.

I own a Di2 bike, and I use the charger for about two hours after every 600 miles, just to top off the battery. If I buy another Di2 bike, tell me why I would need to pay for another charger...? Or, more to the point, tell me why that charger would be as essential as brake pads?
Koyote is offline  
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-20, 08:16 PM
  #16  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
By your logic, I should own five work stands (and five tire pumps, and five torque wrenches, etc) just because I own five bikes.
A charger comes with every new Di2 bike sold, so it's part of the bike, and should be included with the bike when re-sold.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-13-20, 09:00 PM
  #17  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
A charger comes with every new Di2 bike sold, so it's part of the bike, and should be included with the bike when re-sold.
You are arguing for something that hurts some buyers and helps none. Please consider:

Since the Di2 charger has market value (even on its own, aside from the bike), it stands to reason that, if it's included with the bike, the total price will be higher.

If I pay a higher price for a bike because it includes a Di2 charger, and I happen to already own one, I am worse off since I paid for something that I do not need. (One charger is enough.) So, I am better off if the charger is sold separately, or as an optional add-on; that allows me to make a rational choice and pay for only what I need. If I already have a charger, my new bike costs less and hence I am better off. If I don't already have a charger, I simply opt to get it - probably at the same cost that would have been added to the bike's price if it included the charger, and hence I am no worse off.

Under your recommendation that the charger always be included with a Di2 bike, people who like Di2 enough to buy multiple bikes will end up spending more money than necessary, given that only one charger is needed.

I predict that, if Di2 (and similar systems from other manufacturers) become common enough, the charger will always be an option, and not included with the package. There are plenty of other examples to support this prediction: if you own a house, it helps to own a vacuum cleaner and a lawn mower, but none of those items were included in the purchase prices of the five houses that I have owned.

Last edited by Koyote; 02-13-20 at 09:08 PM.
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 09:09 PM
  #18  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
You are arguing for something that hurts some buyers and helps none..
I'm saying that the bike came with the charger when new, so it should be included when re-sold. That is how every new Di2 bike is sold at this time.

In the future, if the aren't included with new bike purchases, then there would be no reason to expect it to be included when re-sold.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-13-20, 09:15 PM
  #19  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I'm saying that the bike came with the charger when new, so it should be included when re-sold. That is how every new Di2 bike is sold at this time.

In the future, if the aren't included with new bike purchases, then there would be no reason to expect it to be included when re-sold.
You're making a normative judgment (as evidenced by the word "should") and offering absolutely no justification. So let me make it simpler for you: I already own a Di2 charger. If I buy another Di2 bike (new or used) and the charger is automatically included, then I am paying more money than I need to, given that I only need one charger and already own one. So, in this scenario, I am better off if the charger is NOT included. So why SHOULD it be included?
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 09:22 PM
  #20  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I already own a Di2 charger. If I buy another Di2 bike (new or used) and the charger is automatically included, then I am paying more money than I need to, given that I only need one charger and already own one. So, in this scenario, I am better off if the charger is NOT included. So why SHOULD it be included?
because it is included with every new Di2 bike sold. It's not an optional accessory.



You can argue your point all you want, and you'll still be wrong


Last edited by noodle soup; 02-13-20 at 09:30 PM.
noodle soup is offline  
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 02-13-20, 09:28 PM
  #21  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
because it is included with every new Di2 bike sold. It's not an optional accessory.



You can argue your point all you want, and you'll still be wrong
You haven't attempted to address my point.

It's like I'm asking you to calculate 2+2, and you keep answering "Yellow!"

Have a nice evening.
Koyote is offline  
Old 02-13-20, 10:49 PM
  #22  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,210
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10355 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 938 Posts
The charger is part of the group set.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 02-14-20, 07:46 AM
  #23  
Rides4Beer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SC
Posts: 843

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 169 Posts
Pretty simple to me, can the bike operate without the charger? No. Then it should be included.
Rides4Beer is offline  
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-14-20, 08:57 AM
  #24  
noodle soup
Senior Member
 
noodle soup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 7,261
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
You haven't attempted to address my point.

It's like I'm asking you to calculate 2+2, and you keep answering "Yellow!"
I haven't addressed your point, because it's a hypothetical situation.
noodle soup is offline  
Old 02-14-20, 09:02 AM
  #25  
Koyote
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup View Post
I haven't addressed your point, because it's a hypothetical situation.
It's not hypothetical for anyone who owns (or is contemplating ownership of) two Di2 bikes - like me.

You haven't addressed my point because you are unable to refute it.
Koyote is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.