Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Zwift training/workout/racing thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 09:30 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the thread for discussing your experiences with Zwift for training, workouts, and racing.

A brief primer.

By training, I mean JRA or using a non-Zwift training plan on the Zwift courses. You can ride alone or with others, competitively or not. You can use your own intervals on the course and ignore everyone else.

Zwift also offers a growing list of workouts, which could be individual sessions, or complete plans. A workout editor is coming in the future.

Races can be organized or informal, put together on the fly using the text feature. There are also organized races such as the ZTR series, the oldest of which is the TNW, which is broken into two fields, A/B and C/D. Each field is lead out with a neutral start by a volunteer. Distances and times can vary week to week depending on the course. Participants are identified with ZTR and their field letter.

You don't need a power meter to participate but it helps. If you don't, but have a popular non-smart trainer, Zwift will apply a power curve for you. Where Zwift really shines is when you use a smart trainer with it. Zwift will control the resistance to match the efforts of course features. With certain trainers you can have Zwift use the power data from your power meter as the reference to drive the trainer resistance.

Zwift started as a free beta but at launch (November 2015) is $10/month.
Old 11-12-15, 09:36 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This Tuesday I did the Tuesday Night Worlds ZTR-C race and got my ass kicked. It was on the Richmond Worlds course. I got dropped from the lead group the first time up the 14% climb with my HR at 180. I rode with the chase group to the first sprint point but totally barfed the lead out and took 6th. After that it was dinner time. It won't be often that I will be able to finish these races as they start at 6pm EST.

I'm also doing the 12 week FTP plan just to mix things up with my gym strength work.
Old 11-12-15, 11:51 PM
Alaska Mike
The Slow One

Bikes: Hate me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My time zone and schedule make it so I just miss the roll-outs for the training races and more "spirited" group rides. I usually ride solo and shoot for green jerseys and the occasional orange or polka dot. Makes the trainer time go faster, although it's hard to stick to a regimented program with so many rabbits to chase.
Old 11-13-15, 07:42 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I want to do one of the weekday races, but im usually getting home from work by 6.
Old 11-13-15, 08:11 AM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
I did one lap with a ZTR type race.. I was off the front with another guy and then we both started soft peddling.. then a whole pack of riders just whizzed by us. I tried to bridge but it was not happening... they were gone. All the races seem to be at an odd time for me and I just don't have the time for 3/4 laps of Richmond.
Old 11-13-15, 09:03 AM
crazyarm07

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using it for a while (about 6 months now). For me Zwift itself is good just for the visuals - it's way better than movies or TV for keeping me entertained. I've had enough issues with ANT+ dropouts and truncated ride files that I don't really trust it for my workouts; when I do those I'm using Trainerroad in conjunction with Zwift. At some point I feel like I should start doing some of those organized rides, those seem like they'd be really good race prep.
Old 11-13-15, 09:25 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyarm07
I've been using it for a while (about 6 months now). For me Zwift itself is good just for the visuals - it's way better than movies or TV for keeping me entertained. I've had enough issues with ANT+ dropouts and truncated ride files that I don't really trust it for my workouts; when I do those I'm using Trainerroad in conjunction with Zwift. At some point I feel like I should start doing some of those organized rides, those seem like they'd be really good race prep.
almost as good race prep as riding...outside
Old 11-13-15, 09:35 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Those group rides and races are no joke if you actually participate in them.
Old 11-13-15, 11:46 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
does it support VOIP so I can yell at noobs?
Old 11-13-15, 11:53 AM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, it is sounding like this is a decent training tool. I ride the rollers early mornings ~5 am AZ time. I am wondering how I find out if there are group rides/races at this time of the day so that I can determine if it is worth it to buy a ant+ dongle. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-15, 12:03 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like Zwift and used it quite a bit in the winter when it was free.
It was great to pre-ride the Richmond course before riding it in real life.

However, the change to $10/mo means it'll get uninstalled. I have nothing against Zwift for going non-free, but I have many other things I'd rather spend $10/mo on.
I already pay for TrainerRoad and CyclingAnalytics. No room for Zwift or Strava Premium.

As I've already sort of shifted into indoor riding mode and am 5 weeks into the Sufferfest Advanced Road plan, I don't find myself missing it. Having a structured plan to follow means there's very little JRA/boredom on the trainer.
Old 11-13-15, 01:02 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Been doing Zwift rides for a month or so now, more due to time change and lack of daylight than weather. Mostly JRA, it's been fun. Agree the "Races" are brutal. Going to try one of their training programs sometime the next couple weeks.

The only downside I see so far is trying to do an easy day while getting passed by 100 people. Really challenges your self discipline.
Old 11-13-15, 01:07 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
So between Zwift and Strava, I don't have to actually line up to race anyone. I can do it virtually.

That $10 a month is going to be way cheaper than a year of race fees.
Old 11-13-15, 01:16 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
i used zwift during the beta and it's neat and all but I don't really take advantage nor have the desire to do virtual racing. Also, I always end up with some other audio/video and occasionally look at zwift, so it's not enough to keep my attention nor worth the money for another distraction. I like that they introduced workout mode and would potentially try a plan, but I may do trainer road instead because I like the workout interface more
Old 11-13-15, 02:11 PM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just passed 6000mi on Zwift for the year. Now that race season is over and the cold weather is here, I am essentially an indoor-only cyclist. From mostly training indoors I made PRs on nearly all durations during the outdoor race season in 2015.
Old 11-13-15, 02:38 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robabeatle
I am wondering how I find out if there are group rides/races at this time of the day
This calendar seems to have all of the scheduled rides on it:

Zwift Rides - All Zwift group rides are welcome!
Old 11-13-15, 02:39 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robabeatle
So, it is sounding like this is a decent training tool. I ride the rollers early mornings ~5 am AZ time. I am wondering how I find out if there are group rides/races at this time of the day so that I can determine if it is worth it to buy a ant+ dongle. Any input would be appreciated.
Like their Facebook page. There's a calendar on it for scheduled rides and races.
Old 11-13-15, 02:42 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas

Woah that's way better than FB.
Old 11-13-15, 02:44 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
So between Zwift and Strava, I don't have to actually line up to race anyone. I can do it virtually.

That $10 a month is going to be way cheaper than a year of race fees.
Let's can the sarcasm and keep this thread positive, okay? Thank you.

You all know my situation. If I could race outside I would. If this helps fill a gap then so be it.
Old 11-13-15, 02:45 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
does it support VOIP so I can yell at noobs?
Not yet, but you can group text everyone on the course.
Old 11-13-15, 03:35 PM
beatlebee 

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Like their Facebook page. There's a calendar on it for scheduled rides and races.
Thanks gents.
Old 11-14-15, 06:43 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Let's can the sarcasm and keep this thread positive, okay? Thank you.

You all know my situation. If I could race outside I would. If this helps fill a gap then so be it.
While I was being sarcastic, I think there is some truth to my comment. There are many people who believe that Strava has helped reduce the number of people lining up to race, especially cat 5. They look at Strava segments and think they can't compete, so they don't bother. Or they use that as the only source of cycling competition.

With the advent of Zwift, some can now actually race from the comfort of their living rooms. I know many will use that as a great training tool - and it certainly seems like it is (I haven't used it.) - but others can now use it to not bother racing a real race.
Old 11-14-15, 06:47 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I don't really understand the whole thing. If you're on a trainer that changes resistance on a course feature like a hill, how do you race against someone on a non smart trainer like a kurt that won't recognize the hill?
Old 11-14-15, 09:32 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I don't really understand the whole thing. If you're on a trainer that changes resistance on a course feature like a hill, how do you race against someone on a non smart trainer like a kurt that won't recognize the hill?
The speed of your virtual guy is based on the w/kg you put out. On a non smart trainer it uses your power meter, or if you don't have one, it estimates power from a speed sensor. So on a hill, two riders will go the same speed if they are doing the same w/kg, but the rider on the smart trainer gets the resistance feedback and the rider on the dumb trainer just has to pedal harder.

There are various ways to intentionally cheat (as simple as saying you weigh less than you really do) or unintentionally have an advantage (the estimated w/kg can be way off), which means that it's only fun if you don't take it all too seriously.

Last edited by globecanvas; 11-14-15 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 09:51 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used zwift a dozen or so times last winter, but I'm not expecting to do so this winter. It's great for anyone who wants to do a lot of indoor training, but I enjoy riding outside in the winter. It will be interesting to see if there is a zwift effect at the spring races with a lot of guys coming out strong. The racers I know who used zwift a lot last winter would have been doing big hours on the trainer anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.