Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ the way that it used to be

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 04-27-16, 03:45 AM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I check in here almost daily, but rarely post. There is a connection I feel, most likely the aches & pains thing. There's also a wealth of experience here that I tap into.

I thought the 50+ forum got a little on the clique-y side for a few years that I did have a problem with....but lately not so much. I also had a dim outlook on some members (no longer posting) carrying a braggidosio attitude in this age bracket. I don't encounter a lot of cyclists near home, but the supply of 20-40 years olds who will blow my shoes right outta my clips is endless. Please don't bring that around here...let's age with dignity.

Although this forum is probably where I belong, I usually camp in the SS/FG forum. Very entertaining and unforgiving there. Don't post anything stupid, or suffer the wrath of the youngsters! The Mods won't get you, the Millennials will evisorate you.
Old 04-27-16, 06:17 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
The Diego's...........folks just don't know what they missed.

BillyDonn-loved his pictures of the group trainers in the garage in the winter and cycling in Italy. Dang cancer.....

DeeGee posted just the other day. Still naming his rides.

I agree that there have been some interesting and entertaining personalities.
Joe, that was a zombie thread resurrection of an old Deege thread, he last prairie dogged back last year, unless I missed some posts by him. I miss Deege too.

The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s). A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow. Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others.

Now, we have some new folks that have come in as they found the forum, or some just hit the 50+ age and started posting here. They weren't a part of the original group, and don't carry any of the baggage or memories about who and what transpired here earlier. Most members don't care, or weren't aware of what happened, and other things drove members away. Some just lost interest in posting and drifted away. No blanket answers to the issues, or even all of the issues that have effected how the forum is viewed.

Just what I observed over the few years I have been here, I cannot say that I am always happy with how things go here, I doubt that anyone is always 100% in agreement about the place, or who has an opinion. I have been lucky with the forum, and the members, mostly, I have received encouragement and support when times were hard. Members have checked on me from time to time, it I was away, or just to say hello. And, there are members I just have to ignore, best left right there about them.

Make of things what you will, times change, and members will come and go. We just lost a member, Artkansas, he passed from a heart attack. He will be missed, greatly. Thanks to everyone here for all y'all have offered to me, and done t make my riding pleasurable.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-27-16, 07:59 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
This, and the Hybrid Forum are the only ones I check every day - sometimes more than once a day/
Old 04-27-16, 08:12 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
With these threads I never know if I was part of the way it used to be, or one of the club-crashers. But we'd all agree that there are lots of different facets to cyclists at 50+ right?
Old 04-27-16, 09:32 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always. It was it's own place. Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did...
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I can't miss the good old days because I wasn't here at the time, but I likewise don't know what the "problem" was in the near past. I don't recall any issue with spoilsports. Then again I've only been around a few years and maybe they were gone already.

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
...The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s). A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow. Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others.

Now, we have some new folks that have come in as they found the forum, or some just hit the 50+ age and started posting here. They weren't a part of the original group, and don't carry any of the baggage or memories about who and what transpired here earlier. Most members don't care, or weren't aware of what happened, and other things drove members away. Some just lost interest in posting and drifted away. No blanket answers to the issues, or even all of the issues that have effected how the forum is viewed

Just what I observed over the few years I have been here, I cannot say that I am always happy with how things go here, I doubt that anyone is always 100% in agreement about the place, or who has an opinion. I have been lucky with the forum...
I think this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...I prefer more the experiential discussions on BF rather than the technical/materiel (hardware) Forums, so I daily visit General Discussion, Advocacy & Safety, Commuting, Fifty-Plus, Living Car Free, Road Cycling, Touring, and seasonally, Winter Cycling. As to my participation on the Forums,...
What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides". I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
... Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated...

There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums. They are not fictionalized personalities, anymore than are the people you meet at work, or church, or through other friends. I would suggest that the majority here are simply people with common bonds--their age and a love of cycling. Some also share an interest in travel, new experiences, and a desire to meet and enjoy the company of like-minded people. IMO if you don't at least see the value of that opportunity, you are missing out on an amazing element of this forum....

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus. None of my own personal circle know much of the Forums whereas those attending the Annual Rides are now face-to-face acquaintances and also know the other personalities on the Forums. So we now as face-to-face friends could chat about those other subscribers and their personalities as we perceive the personae they project on the Forums, making you all more “real” than I alone would imagine. I found these conversations that we five had about our neighbors in Fifty-Plus particularly interesting in light of the recent contentious and now-closed threads about Face to Face vs Internet Forum Communications.

For all those whom I’ve met on our three Annual Fifty Plus rides, you really get what you read. But since all are so nice and social, it seems to be a selected group, and I suppose that the whiny and cantankerous subscribers, even if only a front for nice and sociable real life people, just don’t join such activities...
Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.

Originally Posted by tg16
I really feel you should be more inclusive with the booze. I think we should serve craft whiskey, also known as moonshine.

Originally Posted by tarwheel
I'm an equal opportunity drinker. It's all good.
I'll be glad to bring the martini's.

Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Jim,I thought you had everything you needed in that huge bag on the back of your bike.

Originally Posted by Louis
...the portable martini kit. What the hell, man, he's ready now.

Originally Posted by miss kenton
...And I can assure you, the portables are potable!
PS: Serendipitous of this thread, I'm in a different region of the country this week, and I'm trying to connect with another Fifty-Plus correspondent between his work and my family activities.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-27-16 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 04-27-16, 09:37 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 557 Posts
I dunno if I remember the good old days, the transition days, or what (I'm clueless about that kind of stuff), but I think one of the things that makes the 50+ group special is that most of us are well beyond trying to impress people or caring what other people think. And it's so much more fun to share personal foibles with people who understand.

Old 04-27-16, 09:50 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,511 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
The big dust up was actually a confluence of a couple of events. See the stickie post, by Tom Stormcrowe, in the top of the forum threads, for a date to pin on the event(s). A few members didn't care for the "clubbiness" that evolved over the first years of the 50+ Forum. The things like Pie, pie rides, pie day, mentioning colonoscopies, Tombay falls and Club Tombay, rubbed them the wrong way. they also felt that these topics weren't bicycle related and should be eliminated/deleted somehow. Several folks got their feelings hurt, or just plain got angry about the tone, as Tom put it, and they either left, or got hostile towards others.
An accurate description of the previous "dustup".

Perhaps the pie eating Diego fanboys have found a Facebook page that is a better home for silly Kaffeeklatsch patter with better controls for keeping the clique safe from anyone harshing their buzz.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-27-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-27-16, 09:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Try This

Styrofoam/plastic cups? Yuchh!
Old 04-27-16, 11:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
An accurate description of the previous "dustup".

Perhaps the pie eating Diego fanboys have found a Facebook page that is a better home for silly Kaffeeklatsch patter with better controls for keeping the clique safe from anyone harshing their buzz.
I totally missed the whole "Diego" thing because I identified the thread titles as something I wasn't interested in so I just didn't open any of them up. I never could understood why somebody who wasn't interested in pie felt they had to open, and then complain about a pie thread.
Old 04-27-16, 11:12 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 594 Times in 313 Posts
I survived the dustup but was left in a fog about what the problem was. Seriously. Why was our forum picked on when the absolute tyrannical rudeness reigned supreme at the road forum, somehow dodging any actions in that same timeframe? Oh well, that was then and it really doesnt matter.
Old 04-27-16, 11:15 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 453 Posts
I never could understood why somebody who wasn't interested in pie felt they had to open, and then complain about a pie thread.
+1 on that.
Old 04-27-16, 11:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,234 Times in 615 Posts
Styrofoam/plastic cups? Yuchh!
Plastic Cups, Cold Beer, 4 Free ones on a Hot Day.

Old 04-27-16, 11:22 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 557 Posts
OMG. Bock beer. I remember waiting in fond anticipation for the day when Pabst released their bock beer for the season.

Old 04-27-16, 11:22 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I survived the dustup but was left in a fog about what the problem was. Seriously. Why was our forum picked on when the absolute tyrannical rudeness reigned supreme at the road forum, somehow dodging any actions in that same timeframe? Oh well, that was then and it really doesnt matter.
I think the 50+ crowd tends to be more sensitive to abrasion.
Old 04-27-16, 11:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Plastic Cups, Cold Beer, 4 Free ones on a Hot Day.

Cold Beer = Good
Free Cold Beer = Very Good
Beer in Plastic = not so good, but the free part removes some of the sting.
Old 04-27-16, 11:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Dark beer in bottles or on tap poured into glass = Yum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1121.jpg (111.8 KB, 171 views)
Old 04-27-16, 11:50 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
A shandy is mighty refreshing on a hot day after a long ride.......
Old 04-27-16, 11:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I totally missed the whole "Diego" thing because I identified the thread titles as something I wasn't interested in so I just didn't open any of them up. I never could understood why somebody who wasn't interested in pie felt they had to open, and then complain about a pie thread.
See https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...l#post15323843 ; especially the first few sentences.
Old 04-27-16, 12:20 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have to admit that I searched for chain lube threads just to chuckle at the wild insane arguments.
Old 04-27-16, 01:38 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by tg16
I have to admit that I searched for chain lube threads just to chuckle at the wild insane arguments.
Or the one where the guy had difficulty removing that clear plastic disc thing on the back wheel. So he took a torch to it. The thread was hilarious.
Old 04-27-16, 01:47 PM
tg16

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Or the one where the guy had difficulty removing that clear plastic disc thing on the back wheel. So he took a torch to it. The thread was hilarious.
I think age brings wisdom and wisdom brings the ability to be easily entertained.
Old 04-27-16, 01:47 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Why do that, when you can just remove the spokes?
Old 04-27-16, 02:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
See https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...l#post15323843 ; especially the first few sentences.
So suggesting that somebody not open an innocuous thread that they know is going to be silly is belittling?
Old 04-27-16, 02:23 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Why do that, when you can just remove the spokes?
That's a novel approach.

Well folks, mostly why I interact here or other forums is the humor and trying my best to make light of our sometimes myopic culture.
Old 04-27-16, 02:28 PM
OldsCOOL

I wish there was a feature where we could view all threads that have been locked in a particular forum. Now that would be a hoot.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.