Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When I was a Kid....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When I was a Kid....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 04:26 PM
BBassett

Bikes: Tout Terrain, Panamericana

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Except that (I'll bet) that nobody called it pig manure.
Well, it's obvious that no one should argue with you.
Old 02-07-18, 11:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by BBassett
That amazing huh? Mine had a nice sized roll of magnesium tape too. I have had others tell me that their set had uranium included. My dad used the kit to make some explosive fly powder (Nitrogen Triiodide).
My Dad was a Chemistry professor, so I had access to many things.
Old 02-07-18, 12:51 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I wanted a haircut a bit like John F. Kennedy's. Only a matter of weeks later he was dead.
This is just begging for a "take a little off the top" joke!
Old 02-07-18, 01:39 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
This is just begging for a "take a little off the top" joke!
OOOhhh that was bad!
Old 02-07-18, 02:07 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
When I was a kid...

We had to sew our bicycle tires together with needle and thread, and glue them to the wheels.
Old 02-07-18, 02:21 PM
fivefootnine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I was a kid I went outside to play. I tore BIKES apart and made new one's!
Old 02-07-18, 03:52 PM
leob1

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff K.
When I was a kid:

- All the kids on the street thought I was cool when I got a Mattel V-RROOM Motorbike (didn't have a motor but made a great motor noise)
-
I had one of those too, yep I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood(for a while).

We would also leave the house in the morning, come back for lunch, go back out till dinner time. We did what we did. During the school year, we went out after school. Many winter nights I walked home from the park with the frozen pond, in the dark.
No seat belts until the '70s, we would drive my dad nuts jumping from the front to the back seat, while he was trying to drive. Cars were bigger back then.
Old 02-07-18, 04:45 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
When I was a kid I remember looking up at my parents and teacher and hearing my dad tell my teacher, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, "If he starts smart-assing around in class just hit him." Mrs. Keller... she was ambidextrous.
When I was a kid my teacher knocked me unconscious by hitting me on the back of the head with a bible when I was talking in morning assembly.

He never did it again after my father had a quiet word with him after school.

Some things have improved since those days, thank goodness.
Old 02-07-18, 04:56 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
When I was a kid my teacher knocked me unconscious by hitting me on the back of the head with a bible when I was talking in morning assembly.

He never did it again after my father had a quiet word with him after school.

Some things have improved since those days, thank goodness.
Improved? Maybe in some ways, but I would like to see teachers have total control in their classrooms, and they don't. They are stuck between unruly kids and school policies designed to mitigate legal responsibility when a teacher does what is necessary to remain in control. If a parent isn't raising a human being the teacher needs the "tools" to do what is required to set them straight. Sounds like you got the short end of the stick, maybe he should have just used a paddle or cane on your butt instead. But I bet every other kid in the class learned a lesson that day.
Old 02-07-18, 05:06 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
When I was in fourth grade my teacher hit me in the xxxxx with a wooden paddleball racquet because I hadn't done my homework.

I'm 8 years old. For whatever reason, I had neglected to do my homework assignment. And so this guy grabs his Howie Hammer model wooden paddleball racquet from the bottom drawer of his desk, and he marches me out into the hall, and tells me to face the lockers so I can get whacked in the ass. Defiantly I say "No!" So he says "Okay, have it your way" and he smacks me in the xxxx with a full-on backhand swing.

Let that sink in for a second. He hit me in the xxxx with a wooden paddleball racquet ...because I hadn't done my homework.

No wonder I f**king hate people.
Old 02-07-18, 05:12 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
When I was a Kid...

We used to beat up on Kids that rode schwinns.
Old 02-07-18, 05:18 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Bob Ross
When I was in fourth grade my teacher hit me in the xxxx with a wooden paddleball racquet because I hadn't done my homework.

No wonder I f**king hate people.
HEY! I Hate people too! At least when they start to group up. But dude, I have to ask... did you do your homework the next day? A strategically placed psycho in someone's life can be an amazing motivator. Ask Elton John.
Old 02-07-18, 05:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
yeah ... I am opposed to spankings because there are better ways to motivate some kids and no better way to turn some kids into complete monsters.

Survive a few spankings and then it is like, "Yeah ... you got nothing else?"

I guess they work sometimes .... didn't do squat to help me.
Old 02-07-18, 05:49 PM
BBassett

Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah ... I am opposed to spankings because there are better ways to motivate some kids and no better way to turn some kids into complete monsters.

Survive a few spankings and then it is like, "Yeah ... you got nothing else?"

I guess they work sometimes .... didn't do squat to help me.

When I was a kid I got spanked with a thin leather belt and never once thought about saying something to someone.
Old 02-07-18, 06:08 PM
BBassett

When I was a kid I got toys for Christmas and Birthdays that could injure, maim, or even kill the user or anyone unlucky enough to be standing nearby. I still own my Yard Darts in the original box. Ever hear of Ker-Knockers? Toy from the 60s or 70s? Got a set for Christmas. If you watch the vid. below you will see/hear how the balls stop almost every time you get them going. Listen close, a soft thud or wack. The ball coming in contact with your arm or hand. NBD right? When you 1st start learning how to do it the balls are moving slow. That's the whole idea! To make them move as fast as you can possibly make them move before they hit you in the arm or hand. The weird thing is that with the balls always the same distance away from your fingers they will hit you mainly in one spot, over and over and over again. For me, it was in the Ulna about 3" up from my left wrist. By the time I went to bed on Christmas night I had a bruise the size of a pool ball. My dad's spot was on the back of his right hand, he was smarter than I was, meaning, his bruise wasn't as bad as mine was on New Years Night, but I could get them going way faster than he could. That same New Years Night the rope broke in the middle of an alcohol imbibing family party while I was trying to impress everyone and beaned my Aunt on the forehead with a clear little red ball, hard enough that she looked like she was growing a horn for the next week. She never really looked at me the same way after that. A few years later I broke that same arm in the exact spot those Ker-Knockers wounded me that holiday season. Sledding accident on a super steep hill in Olympia, WA. When I say sledding accident I mean a sled with two people on it ran over my arm. Could the Clackers have been to blame? Loosened the lid a little, so to speak? Hummmmmmmmmmmm. I wonder.... Oh, yeah, dangerous kids toys. Ever see what you can do with a few boxes of simple Caps and a Pin? Ah, my BB Gun... BB gun, schmebe gun, we would go camping (I was 7) and my dad would hand me a 22 rifle and about a 100 rounds and tell me not to shoot myself. But that's another story.

Last edited by BBassett; 02-07-18 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-07-18, 06:21 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 37 Posts
$5 down and $2 a week

I went to a no indoor plumbing single room schoolhouse in Wis. 1st Jr High year I spent the summer on a paper route to buy my first bike (SS Columbia) on credit at $2 a week that covered nearly the whole town of 20,000. That led to my two addictions. Bicycles and Twinkies. At 19 (12 month visit to Vietnam) it took over two weeks to send or receive a hand written letter. And the newest high-tech from NASA was Tang. That was a powdered orange drink we used to make "G I screwdrivers". 6 oz. of vodka and a teaspoon of Tang!
And I remember my best friend from high school (who showed up in-country three days before I left) was suspended from school for two days for bringing a Bowmar Brain (four--yes only 4 function, +-x and divide) calculator into a classroom.

better days now.
But I still have both addictions.
Old 02-07-18, 11:18 PM
BBassett

When I was a kid I hung real lead tinsel on the Christmas tree.
Old 02-07-18, 11:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When I was a kid, women were still strongly encouraged to wear uncomfortable clothes (pantyhose, anyone?) and there were silly dress codes (no white after labour day?)

So thankful that now, for the most part, anything goes!
Old 02-08-18, 03:36 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Improved? Maybe in some ways, but I would like to see teachers have total control in their classrooms, and they don't. They are stuck between unruly kids and school policies designed to mitigate legal responsibility when a teacher does what is necessary to remain in control. If a parent isn't raising a human being the teacher needs the "tools" to do what is required to set them straight. Sounds like you got the short end of the stick, maybe he should have just used a paddle or cane on your butt instead. But I bet every other kid in the class learned a lesson that day.
They did. That a teacher who hit a nine year old kid on the head was a bully who could not control kids without violence, and who stopped after being confronted by someone his own size.

There's appropriate punishment and there's bullying.

Talking in class and assembly never stopped. It never will as long as kids are kids and not automatons. You can't beat it out of them.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-08-18 at 03:40 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:46 AM
BBassett

They did. That a teacher who hit a nine year old kid on the head was a bully who could not control kids without violence, and who stopped after being confronted by someone his own size.

There's appropriate punishment and there's bullying.

Talking in class and assembly never stopped. It never will as long as kids are kids and not automatons. You can't beat it out of them.
Sorry that it has stuck with you for so long. He obviously went too far with you. But I would rather a teacher be an authoritarian and control the environment then hear about teachers being bullied and even beaten because parents have raised self-indulgent pampered narcissistic little animals.
Old 02-08-18, 05:03 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Sorry that it has stuck with you for so long. He obviously went too far with you. But I would rather a teacher be an authoritarian and control the environment then hear about teachers being bullied and even beaten because parents have raised self-indulgent pampered narcissistic little animals.
It has stuck with me and don't get me wrong, I frequently had corporal punishment at school with the cane for being naughty. That was expected back in those days and neither I nor my father had issues with that. But he often went too far with me and other kids (knocks to the head are never acceptable) and complaints from parents to the head were excused with "oh, Mr Lawrence had a bad time in the war (this was mid 50s) and it still affects him". He was never bullied or beaten by parents, but luckily I had a father who had a strong sense of right and wrong and told him what he thought of his behaviour. Mr Lawrence gave up teaching a year or so later. Behaviour of pupils didn't worsen.

Authoritarian and controlling are one thing but you can be that, and respected, without resorting to violence if you are a good teacher.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 02-08-18 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 10:47 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
When I was a kid, women were still strongly encouraged to wear uncomfortable clothes (pantyhose, anyone?) and there were silly dress codes (no white after labour day?)

So thankful that now, for the most part, anything goes!
Pantyhose ... why did anyone ever think they were an improvement?

The dress code I remember is:

Girls could not wear pants ... it had to be a dress ... and no more than an inch above their knee.

Boys could not have their shirt untucked. I got sent to the VP's office for that one.

Old 02-08-18, 12:15 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
When I was a kid in 1956, my 8 year's birthday gift was a 24" roadmaster bike (red) and it cost about what my father earned in a week.

Huh. It's only today that I realize my younger brother (a year younger) never got a bike until he was 13. No wonder we always fought.
Old 02-08-18, 12:25 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
The dress code I remember is:

Girls could not wear pants ... it had to be a dress ... and no more than an inch above their knee.

Boys could not have their shirt untucked. I got sent to the VP's office for that one.
In Iowa, when it got *really* cold, the girls could wear tights under their dresses, but not instead of dresses.

The boys had to wear a shirt with a collar, and long pants.
Old 02-08-18, 12:39 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Authoritarian and controlling are one thing but you can be that, and respected, without resorting to violence if you are a good teacher.
There are times a sharp smack can get a kid's attention ... let him know "This is Real---play-time is over."

If you need to hit the kid every couple days, you need a new tactic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.