Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Cycling In work clothes.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cycling In work clothes.

Old 01-25-19, 10:40 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
However, an executive wearing a suit and tie, and certainly a female in a skirt or a dress, or someone in food preparation would be going too far off the deep end. These limitations are just too broad to surmount appropriately.
As other people are pointing out, there are plenty of workers who do exactly what you are advising against, and they are perfectly fine. They might have relatively brief commutes, they might ride at very reasonable speeds, and/or they might live in climates that allow them to comfortably ride in those clothes.

I know your profile says you are in LA, which is technically a city, but have you ever looked around in denser, more "urban" city? You see plenty of suits, ties, skirts and heels (and aren't we all somewhat thankful for the latter)...

Maybe you think everyone is riding 10+ miles one way into work while also trying to use the commute as a workout. There are people that do that, but certainly doesn't apply to everyone in here.
Old 01-25-19, 11:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7336 Post(s)
Liked 2,435 Times in 1,422 Posts
Not only that, people in NYC generally dress up more than folks on the west coast. I see plenty of women riding bikes who have the full hair-nails-makeup-dress outfit. Same for men wearing suits and ties. Their trips are probably less than three miles on average. Riding a bike makes sense for them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-25-19, 12:09 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by bulevardi
Yes, I ride in office clothes too, jeans pants, regular shoes, ... weatherproof jacket.

The problem is when I want to go out after work, to the pub with friends, it's not that trendy in ugly weatherproof jacket.
Sometimes I want to go in my more casual or trendy jacket I have, but that one is not rainproof. Mostly, my friends want to go to the pub when it's bad weather and I need to have my weatherproof clothes on.
So that's a bit a minus.
Perhaps there is a happy medium? There certainly are some more trendy jackets out there that are reasonably waterproof, albeit not as comfortable for cycling; I find leather, PU, and certain nylon fabrics work well.

Perhaps it is time to treat yourself to a new trendy jacket that can be worn for cycling to the pub on those rainy days
Old 01-25-19, 12:14 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Not only that, people in NYC generally dress up more than folks on the west coast. I see plenty of women riding bikes who have the full hair-nails-makeup-dress outfit. Same for men wearing suits and ties. Their trips are probably less than three miles on average. Riding a bike makes sense for them.
+1; when the time to change clothes at either/both ends exceeds the actual commute time, commuting in "work" clothes just makes sense.

But I doubt we'll be able to put Krane's apparent offense/objection to the notion to rest. The fact that the video he posted is 90% irrelevant to commuting, and 100% irrelevant to this thread, is evidently lost on her/him.

Okay, here's something just brimming with "wrong" ways to ride....
Old 01-25-19, 12:20 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
and certainly a female in a skirt or a dress
Funny you mention this...I've mostly gone away from trousers and toward skirts/dresses since I started regularly bike commuting ~11 years ago.

Short dresses/skirts eliminate the issues commonly found with trousers (getting stuck in chains, problems with the waistband while in the drops, etc.) Creative garments underneath make them appropriate for multiple seasons: unpadded "bike" shorts for warm weather, short tri-style chamois shorts for longer journeys, and leggings, etc. for extreme temperatures. Rain paints over the top, and we're good to go for the rainy season.

Granted, I will not be riding the weekly World Championships in a dress. They do bring with them some significant aerodynamic disadvantages.
Old 01-25-19, 10:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
+1; when the time to change clothes at either/both ends exceeds the actual commute time, commuting in "work" clothes just makes sense.

But I doubt we'll be able to put Krane's apparent offense/objection to the notion to rest. The fact that the video he posted is 90% irrelevant to commuting, and 100% irrelevant to this thread, is evidently lost on her/him.

Okay, here's something just brimming with "wrong" ways to ride.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJX-mwCHJpg
On the contrary, it support the position that inappropriate cycling attire already exists, which many of you here seem to insist that it does not. It further adds support that its not uniquely my offensive/objection idea. Apparently, I'm not the one who is lost.

Last edited by KraneXL; 01-25-19 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 10:27 PM
madpogue 

Yes, you're lost. This thread is about COMMUTING (not just ANY cycling) in WORK (presumably "office") wear. No one has proposed speedos, or bib shorts only, or anything else presented in the silly video. All the video presents is that those who made it think there exist a few ways dress inappropriately for cycling.

This reminds me of the "you are in a helicopter" riddle, which revolves around making a perfectly true response to a question, but one that is utterly irrelevant to what was really being asked.
Old 01-28-19, 03:52 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I find leather, PU, and certain nylon fabrics work well.
I like nylon and leather too, but I accidentally end up in women underwear stores mostly.
I should find the right categories someday.
Old 01-28-19, 09:00 AM
madpogue 

I like nylon and leather too, but I accidentally end up in women underwear stores mostly.
That could be considered "work clothes", depending on one's profession.....
Old 01-28-19, 10:07 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I don't really get the controversy here. If it's cool, especially this time of year, there's not much issue with riding in work clothes. If you want a workout or it's too hot, then workout clothes.
Old 01-28-19, 04:58 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

On the contrary, it support the position that inappropriate cycling attire already exists, which many of you here seem to insist that it does not. It further adds support that its not uniquely my offensive/objection idea. Apparently, I'm not the one who is lost.
That video was talking about doing serious riding, not simple and straightforward commuting. And the funny thing is that they actually looked pretty comfortable with their suits and ties on, and had their umbrella's places nicely, despite the fact that they were supposed to look extra ridiculous.

​​I like nylon and leather too, but I accidentally end up in women underwear stores mostly.
Now it's getting interesting! Seriously though, I once joked about my "fantasy" involving a lot of leather, and when I got a funny look, I said, "Yeah, being a MotoGP rider involves quite a lot of leather."
Old 01-28-19, 05:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Today, I rode to a job interview wearing a suit, tie, and long heavy overcoat. I rode a bike from the Citi Bike fleet which provides an upright position. My clothes did not impede me at all. It was a cold day, so I didn't sweat. Or if I did, I didn't notice, as I wear a wool t-shirt under my shirt in this season.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-28-19, 06:18 PM
robertorolfo

Today, I rode to a job interview wearing a suit, tie, and long heavy overcoat. I rode a bike from the Citi Bike fleet which provides an upright position. My clothes did not impede me at all. It was a cold day, so I didn't sweat. Or if I did, I didn't notice, as I wear a wool t-shirt under my shirt in this season.
Textbook example, Mr. Glider. Textbook.
Old 01-28-19, 07:12 PM
madpogue 

Well how did the interview go?
Old 01-28-19, 07:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My definition of inappropriate is wearing something silly that makes the person look goofy and out of place in social situations...There is nothing inappropriate about riding a bicycle while wearing casual clothing, business attire, work clothing or gym clothes.
Old 01-28-19, 11:24 PM
Scoo16

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work for an armored truck service which requires a bullet proof best, uniform shirt, any black pants and any black footwear.

I have some comfy but professional pants and black tennis shoes I wear on the ride and I keep my uniform shirt folded neatly in my trunk bag, and I’m lucky enough to be able to store the bullet proof best at work. When I show up I just throw on the uniform shirt and vest and I’m ready to go. At the end of the day I toss hang up the best and toss the shirt in my bag and scoot on home.
Old 01-29-19, 04:17 AM
bulevardi

Bikes: L'Avenir Urban, Cannondale Bad Boy

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Now it's getting interesting! Seriously though, I once joked about my "fantasy" involving a lot of leather, and when I got a funny look, I said, "Yeah, being a MotoGP rider involves quite a lot of leather."
I take out my whip when it's not getting fast enough on my bike.
Old 01-29-19, 12:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Well how did the interview go?
I think it went very well. And I have an interview with another position on Thursday! Thank you for asking.

Old 01-29-19, 01:34 PM
kevincgove

Bikes: 1988 Davidson Impulse-updated with current components; 2018 Canondale Topstone Sora

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing too fancy but slacks and a button down shirt

I commute about 6 miles each direction in my work clothes. I wear "business attire"...slacks, dress shirt and dress shoes. The climate and terrain is such that I don't perspire at a level that would require a change of clothes. In the winter, I'll add appropriate cold weather coat/gloves. And I generally don't ride in the rain intentionally but do bring rain coat/pants and rubber slipon covers for my shoes in case it does rain. Seems to work pretty well. I have saddle bags for my laptop and lunch etc.
Old 02-02-19, 06:15 PM
mnsam

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The arcterix chino bike pants.

The ankle part part of the pants rolls up well which also protects the visible part from greese. Also when u roll them up there are decent reflectors underneath.
Old 02-04-19, 11:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by mnsam
The arcterix chino bike pants.

The ankle part part of the pants rolls up well which also protects the visible part from greese. Also when u roll them up there are decent reflectors underneath.
I looked them up. They are now out of production.

Old 02-04-19, 11:27 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I looked them up. They are now out of production.
You're quite knowledgeable, so I'm a little surprised. I assume these are the same or a revised version of the previously posted version. The ass reflector is a nice touch. The US-based version has all sizes, while the UK-site is sold out of the 34, which is a good sign.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/a2b-commuter-pant

Quite cheap too at £115 RRP.
Old 02-06-19, 04:27 AM
oj.

Bikes: 2013 trek 4700d, 60's BSA, United Dinero BMX, 1980 BSA Prima

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks all for taking the time to respond to this thread I have an updated thread here - https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...l#post20781420
Old 02-06-19, 10:39 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by acidfast7
You're quite knowledgeable, so I'm a little surprised. I assume these are the same or a revised version of the previously posted version. The ass reflector is a nice touch. The US-based version has all sizes, while the UK-site is sold out of the 34, which is a good sign.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/a2b-commuter-pant

Quite cheap too at £115 RRP.
A hundred quid is "cheap"??!? I doubt I've spent that much on clothes in the last five years! But I'm a cheap bah-stidge who shops at thrift stores. That much money would buy a lot of Goodwill cargo slacks and leg bands....
Old 02-07-19, 12:03 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
A hundred quid is "cheap"??!? I doubt I've spent that much on clothes in the last five years! But I'm a cheap bah-stidge who shops at thrift stores. That much money would buy a lot of Goodwill cargo slacks and leg bands....
A set of trousers usually floats around £100; but sometimes sales happen, so for anything technical £100 is a great price. Anything less and you wouldn't be considered professional for any type of indoor/office work in most of Western Europe. You'd be made redundant in any large city for dressing like you're suggesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.